Thread: babies wont eat!

chief Guest

Question babies wont eat!

I rescued three baby flying squirrels out of a tree that was cut down. They're about six weeks old so they should be on solid foods I thought. They seem to be healthy and hydrated and I have a nice set up for them in their cage. They drink water from a syringe but they wont eat the small animal food(seeds nuts etc) I put some peanut butter in with then and two of them are eating it but the runt isn't eating anything or drinking much. I plan on letting them go once they're older and healthy. Need some help here

Default Re: babies wont eat!

Look at the nutrition sticky in the flyer section. It's under General then breed specific then flyers. There you will find what they should be eating & how to feed them. They should be still on formula at this age. One if the pro's will be by shortly to give you more specific directions. There are several threads on feeding if you do a search.

Also make sure their not dehydrated & that they're warm. If you gently pinch the skin on the back of their neck it should go right back down. If it "tents" they are dehydrated & you have to resolve that before attempting to feed. Good luck.

Any chance you could get some pics so that we can judge age? Care is based on age.

Oh my, a six week old flyer should still be on formula. They can have rodent block to start nibbling on BUT their primary diet should be formula.

Do you have them on a heating pad? They need to be on a heating pad on low (under half of the container). It should have fleece in the container so they can snuggle in it. When they are warm, they need hydration fluid. If you think they are hydrated, then they need formula. I would probably give them a few feeding of hydration fluid anyway.

At Pet retailers like Petsmart or Petco you can buy Esbilac puppy formula with Probiotics and Prebiotics. The temporary goat milk recipe could also be used. Most flyer owners use FoxValley 32/40 formula but it has to be ordered online. You need formula now. Baby flyers shouldn't be getting the small critter foods with seeds and nuts.

Do you have a kitchen scale? You need to weigh them (in grams). The age can be estimated from their weight. How long have you had them? Were their eyes open? Sorry for so many questions but the answers will help to determine their age and where they are developmentally.

I'll find the temporary goat milk formula. The hydration fluid is 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 quart of warm water.

brb, I'll post the temporary GM recipe.

At 6 weeks old those babies need formula NOW!!! They would be experimenting with nibbling solids but they certainly wouldn't be weaned!

Almost all of the "chain" pet stores will sell Esbilac Puppy Formula with Pre- and Pro-biotics (make sure of that last part). It is a dry powder - don't get the liquid. Then stop at the grocery store and pick up a small carton of heavy whipping cream (it is by the half and half) and some full fat yogurt - the Stoneyfield Yobaby is good - vanilla or banana.

For the first formula - first few days it will be a bit more watered down so they get used to it:

1 parts esbilac powder
    3 parts water
    1/2 part yogurt

Heat this to about 105 degrees and feed with a syringe no larger than 1cc.

After a day or so of that, if poops look good, the permanent formula is:

1 part esbilac powder
    2 parts water
    1/2 part yogurt
    1/2 part heavy whipping cream

We need pics to better establish age so you can get better feeding info - I have only raised one flyer and will wait for more folks to chime in once we see them as to how often they should be fed and how much at each feeding...

If you can't get the Esbilac today, you can use a temporary goat milk recipe. Remember, it is temporary. This is the recipe.Try to get the Esbilac!

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

Here is a presentation by Anne, one of of our Senior Members. It is about the care and raising of flying squirrels. This will help you determine the age.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4fU...VTd6QQ/preview

Good luck to you with these babies!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.