Thread: Walking Dandriff on 9wk old babies!

SquirrelMaMa7611 Guest

Default Walking Dandriff on 9wk old babies!

okay so this is my 2nd pair of baby squirrels i have raised. The first ones were very easy found them when they were 2 weeks old, and they never gave me any issues they are now a yr old and wild(They visit me everyday for a treat). My new babies (Lola, and Dale) have what it seems to be walking dandruff from reading through different forums. I got kitten flea medication, and applied it accordingly. I gave them a flea bath as well. It seems to be getting better but their skin still has some flaky patches of skin still not so red anymore. They have not lost any fur yet so i think i caught it early. I myself feel a little itchy on my legs and by my armpits. I know walking dandruff doesn't live long once it leaves the host. But does anyone have any home remedies i can apply to myself. I also have two dogs are they in great danger? They are never around the squirrels, and so no sign of scratching i gave them a flea bath as soon as i noticed and they are also on Sentinel tablets. Please anything else to help quicken this process, and help my itching go away would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

PS - My babies are 9wks old right now.

- Gina Marie

Default Re: Walking Dandriff on 9wk old babies!

Yoyr sq and otehr pets should get a drop of two of Revolution. On humans, any infestation is transitory.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise...eyletiella.htm

All pets in the home should be treated at the same time, as it is possible for them to carry Cheyletiella without showing symptoms. Treatment options include:

selamectin (e.g. Revolution®): selamectin (a parasite preventative applied to the skin) is effective at treating Cheyletiella.
    milbemycin (e.g. Interceptor®): an oral parasite preventative has also been used in cats and dogs to treat Cheyletiella.
    ivermectin: can be given orally or by injection. The doses required have caused adverse reactions, however, especially in some herding breeds of dogs along with a few other breeds, as well as occasional sensitive individuals.
    topical treatments such as sprays, shampoos, and dips: Cheyletiella responds fairly well to topical treatments effective against mites (e.g. pyrethrin-based products, lime-sulfur dips). It is very important follow your vet's advice which products to use for cats and dogs, and for applying these products safely. These treatments are time-consuming, and if mites take refuge in the nasal passages, topical treatments will not be as effective as the above medications, which are absorbed into the body.

lovesmice Guest

Default Re: Walking Dandriff on 9wk old babies!

If Cheyletiella is the type of mites your squirrels have then yes, they can infest your dogs. Also, you do not mention if you have treated the environment, but it is crucial you do or you run the risk of re-infestations of the parasites. For instance, thoroughly disinfect/scrub the cage and all washable accessories. Toss all wood products as nits/eggs are often laid inside. (You could boil them, but in my opinion it is not worth taking a chance that mold issues will develop from the dampness if not completely dried.) Vacuum floor/carpet/drapes and throw away bag immediately after. You may find the information on parasites at RatGuide/RMCA of interest. Please do not use any medications on your beloved animals, though, without first consulting your vet:

http://ratguide.com/health/integumen...oparasites.php

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm

As far as home remedies for humans, Niaoli Oil is used for many purposes two of which are as an antiseptic and to destroy bacteria. Vitamin E cream can be used to soothe any irritated skin. Again, please do not use any treatments on your beloved animals without first consulting your vet.

I feel really bad for all of you. Although I never has this specific type of mite infestation, I have dealt with another type (likely originating from the bedding) and it unbelievable how much suffering such tiny bugs can inflict on our little ones and in your case, on humans, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.