Thread: Yogurt Bites?

Default Yogurt Bites?

Just wanted to get a general consensus of how you guys feel about feeding squirrels the yogurt bite treats they make for rabbits/rats.

I also wanted to see if anyone would possibly be interested in ordering me a bag of Henry's Picky Eater blocks and I could ship you my brand new bag of the regular blocks It's been in the freezer for a week I think, never been opened. I had ordered it last time I ordered more formula but Abbi doesn't really like them that good I don't think. She'll nibble them through the day, but I don't think I've been able to get her to eat two whole blocks in a day (I've tried soaking them in formula, too...didn't really help). She's still very attached to her formula (12 weeks old tmrw), so maybe she's just not ready to eat that much block yet...I just don't want them to go to waste in my freezer. :/

Default Re: Yogurt Bites?

Its best not to give squirrels sweet treats that have no real nutritional value to them, both for
    their over all health and for the bad habits you will be setting up in them. As far as the hhb
    go..... are you giving your squirrel one block 1st thing in the morning when the squirrel is at his
    hungriest and before you allow him to eat any other food --formula included?

I've tried starting her out on a block first thing in the morning and she nibbles a bit, but not much. Then either bounces around her cage wanting out to find food, or runs around on me looking for food (depending on where she's at).
    I had just read about how some people give them yogurt and figured some brands of yogurt bites should be similar, and less messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbi's Mama View Post
    I've tried starting her out on a block first thing in the morning and she nibbles a bit, but not much. Then either bounces around her cage wanting out to find food, or runs around on me looking for food (depending on where she's at).
    I had just read about how some people give them yogurt and figured some brands of yogurt bites should be similar, and less messy.
    Hi Abbi's Mama.I wanted to say that I've have'd the same trouble with the "Morning Block" because my squirrel JUST WANTS OUT!! so i let him out to play awhile and have a fresh bowl of veggies when i put him back. Sometimes he'll eat some ,sometimes he won't. but there there every morning. He's now getting the idea. After awhile i give him a crushed Henry block mixed with avocado and pulverized hazelnut with a little Henry vitamins. i roll all the ingredients into a ball and freeze them for later. i also sometimes dry mango or other fruit sprinkled with calcium carbonate and vitamins. It seems at night before bedtime i can get him to eat healthy because he's more into eating ,then i'll give him treats afterward.I hope I've helped. It's still a struggle but i have to stay stern.

Just wanted to get a general consensus of how you guys feel about feeding squirrels the yogurt bite treats they make for rabbits/rats.
    They are good as treats, but not as a diet staple.

A WORD OF WARNING: Be sure that they're older when you feed them, and are good at nibbling off bits of nuts and not inhaling the entire thing. i had to get an infant ear bulb sucker and pull out melted yogurt bites that had gone down one of my little girl's throat. The yogurt bites will melt and go into a thick liquid, so be sure they're old enough not to just hork them down and choke on them. That was one of the most panic-inducing experiences I've had in the years I've been raising & releasing my guys!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Laura/Central FL

Siamese Cat and Squirrel "Mom"
    (the human kids just tolerate me...)

Currently Squee-less as I'm back to school FT working on my PhD. SO sad - I miss my squirrelkids!

Happy to Have Loved and Released Perri, Katy, Perrito, Stella, Stanley, Jerry, Pinkman, Pinkgrrl, Ruby, Violet, Maude, Oliver, Kingsley, Olive Green, Toby, Junior, Chloe, Colton James, Mac, Baby Jane, Blanche, Hamilton, Wentworth, Big Lindsey, Jack, Icky Butt, Not Icky, Nugget, Navy, Hawk, PurpleGirl, Percy, Pippin, and Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by sqrlmum View Post
    They are good as treats, but not as a diet staple.

A WORD OF WARNING: Be sure that they're older when you feed them, and are good at nibbling off bits of nuts and not inhaling the entire thing. i had to get an infant ear bulb sucker and pull out melted yogurt bites that had gone down one of my little girl's throat. The yogurt bites will melt and go into a thick liquid, so be sure they're old enough not to just hork them down and choke on them. That was one of the most panic-inducing experiences I've had in the years I've been raising & releasing my guys!
    Oh yeah, definitely just as a treat, yogurt bites certainly aren't a main category of her diet. I wonder if she'd like the blocks better if I crumbled blocks and a yogurt bite together...I may try that this evening. Many time, even if she 'eats' the block, very little of it is actually consumed. Most of it is just strewn across the table/cage/bed etc.

Thanx fer the reply!! :skiing

I have the exact same issues with my guy; same age and everything. I have just started using a coffee grinder to grind up the block and mix it with a tad bit of vanilla yogurt.... He LOVES it!

Quote Originally Posted by erinisgr8 View Post
    I have the exact same issues with my guy; same age and everything. I have just started using a coffee grinder to grind up the block and mix it with a tad bit of vanilla yogurt.... He LOVES it!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    Hi Abbi's Mama.I wanted to say that I've have'd the same trouble with the "Morning Block" because my squirrel JUST WANTS OUT!! so i let him out to play awhile and have a fresh bowl of veggies when i put him back. Sometimes he'll eat some ,sometimes he won't. but there there every morning. He's now getting the idea. After awhile i give him a crushed Henry block mixed with avocado and pulverized hazelnut with a little Henry vitamins. i roll all the ingredients into a ball and freeze them for later. i also sometimes dry mango or other fruit sprinkled with calcium carbonate and vitamins. It seems at night before bedtime i can get him to eat healthy because he's more into eating ,then i'll give him treats afterward.I hope I've helped. It's still a struggle but i have to stay stern.
    How do you get the balls to stick together? Last night I finely chopped some blocks, ground some yogurt bites into powder, and mixed them both with a bit of formula. I pressed that into an ice cube tray and froze it. This morning, they turned out fantastic. Abbi seemed to like them better, but after a few minutes they crumbled apart (after they melted).

How do you get the balls to stick together? Last night I finely chopped some blocks, ground some yogurt bites into powder, and mixed them both with a bit of formula. I pressed that into an ice cube tray and froze it. This morning, they turned out fantastic. Abbi seemed to like them better, but after a few minutes they crumbled apart (after they melted).
    The Avocado seems to make it all stick together when its in a ball. I don't make them watery or to liquidy.I haven't tried formula with them yet.I will try that when i make the next batch. If he doesn't finish it after about a minute or two,i can assume he's done with it.

My bunny and flyer love these but they are high in sugar. I have given them the freeze-dried yogurt puffs for babies (Gerber brand I think) and they LOVE them. Just as a very occasional treat. My 10 year old grey and 2 yr flyer also love Yo Baby vanilla
    Yogurt