Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Squirrel has pneumonia!!

Default Re: Baby Squirrel has pneumonia!!

I can pay for a ride to get to you if he will be returned to me but if not I'll try to find a local vet. I know I can give him the proper care I just messed up by letting my mom take care of him

I just don't want to spend anymore money if I won't even be able to care for him. I guess I'll have no choice but to leave him at a vet.

You'll want to definitely make sure that the vet will find some help for him, though

If you don't get him help, he will die and you won't be able to raise him anyway. Please get him to a vet or a rehabber. He has aspirated and overdosed and definitely needs help a.s.a.p.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

It is very hard when you are young and have to rely on others. A vet who has a rehabber they work with would be his best bet to survive.

I have a question for you. Did you say you gave him half of the liquid you made up? That would be a teaspoon of liquid? Which would be 250mg of the amoxycillen?

Or did you give him half of some measurement on the syringe? Can you tell us how much of the water/amox mixture he ate?

I took a 500mg powder pill and mixed it with two teaspoons of water and sucked it up with the syringe but only gave him half of that.. So how much is that?

250mg

I was really hoping that wasn't the case. 500mg is a dose for a human. This is a little squirrel. It is a massive overdose. This little one needs vet care.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It is very hard when you are young and have to rely on others. A vet who has a rehabber they work with would be his best bet to survive.

I have a question for you. Did you say you gave him half of the liquid you made up? That would be a teaspoon of liquid? Which would be 250mg of the amoxycillen?

Or did you give him half of some measurement on the syringe? Can you tell us how much of the water/amox mixture he ate?

SammysMom has a vet that works with her.
    Didn't I read that she could pay someone to bring her to SammysMom?

edit:
    Oh sorry, I just read it again, you could pay someone only if the squirrel is returned to you? Am I reading this right????????

Quote Originally Posted by Yesica View Post
    I can pay for a ride to get to you if he will be returned to me but if not I'll try to find a local vet. I know I can give him the proper care I just messed up by letting my mom take care of him

Yes because I will be charged a lot to get to new haven and I can't spend anymore money on a pet that's technically not even mine if he's taken from me be so I will just have to hand him to a vet and hope they will take care of him.

Well, one way or the other, this baby needs help now. Call your local vets to see if they can see him tonight. Make sure they know how much and what he has ingested so they know what to do.

Sometimes we get things that are just too big for us to fix - maybe someday we will have the knowledge and be able to, but not now. THAT is when you have to dig down and accept that you have to put them first and your own feelings second. Whether it be a local vet or you send him to Sammysmom, please do it now.

Will he make it through the night ??

Just remember he is not a pet. I am sure there are rehabbers in your area. Call a local vet and ask them if they know who rehabs squirrels in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesica View Post
    Will he make it through the night ??
    I don't know. I googled info about amoxicillen overdose and there are a lot of symptoms. This was a really huge dose of the meds. His best bet is tonight.

Also, not to scare you and not to confuse the picture, but you have to make sure before you hand him over that they won;t euthanize him. He's young and in bad shape, so some might not find him worth the effort.

Can't your parents help you and drive him? Or if you can get to SM, I would take it to her. In time, she might even be able to return him to you. She's done that with another finder before.

If you're concerned about all that you have spent so far, please know that it'll get more expensive. I think the average person here spends $60-80 on food a month for a squirrel. They have fairly expensive diets. They eat much better than any of us. And then you'll also have to get a nice cage, ideally three for the various stages of development. And then in the end, if you release him, he'll need an outside cage too in an area that's good for release. Squirrels are expensive and high maintenance, just so you know.

Right now though, he is extremely compromised. His lungs are in bad shape (they die quickly from pneumonia) and now his kidneys and liver are compromised. If you could get him to SM, that would be ideal.

If not, you need to find a suitable vet or rehabber immediately. And if you can't find that, I don't know how we could help you. You'd need to get milk thistle from the store, and maybe another antibiotic like Cipro.

Is there any chance you could get him to SM tomorrow?

Btw, could you provide some pics or a video? It often helps us diagnose.

I will meet you tomorrow if you can do that.

If your baby is still with you tomorrow morning, take advantage of Sammysmom's offer. She knows her stuff.

I called a rehabber in my area she told me what to do but thanks everyone for trying to help!

I'm still learning, so I'm desperate to know! What was the solution she gave you?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast