Thread: Handicapped Baby Squirrel

theo_99 Guest

Default Handicapped Baby Squirrel

So I found a very young squirrel (I'm guessing around 2 months old) on my porch the other day. He seems to be paralyzed from the waist down because he can't move his hind legs or his tail. I brought him inside and have kept him over night wrapped loosely in a towel and in a well heated and comfortable area. He has been drinking water from a dropper and has been eating walnuts. He is capable of moving by crawling with his two front legs. I have not been able to observe if he has gone to the bathroom or not. My biggest concern is if he is in any pain or not. He is breathing heavily but has gotten ample sleep and has been eating and drinking well. Should I take him to a vet? Is there any chance of rehabilitation? Should i continue to care and nurse for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Handicapped Baby Squirrel

Do not bring him to a vet in your state! They will put him down. You need to find a rehabber in your area.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Glad you are here and thank you for helping this poor darling.
    It's hard to say..without more information,
    but sometimes the paralysis is temporary
    And sometimes it is permanent.
    We will need to know a little more about your little one.
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

SammysMom is offline Administrator, Conn. Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

Where are you located in PA? I will see if I can help to find you help. Can you put a heating pad set on low under half of the container she is in? She really needs heat right on her body. Be sure it is UNDER HALF of the container so that she can get off of the heat if she feels like she needs to.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Pics will help the pros. One thing you can do is check for dehydration. Gently pinch the skin between the shoulder blades and see if it forms a tent or drops back down?
    Do you have any syringes? I think a 2 and a 3 cc maybe what is called for. A pro will be here to help soon and tell you more.
    Do you have a kitchen scale? Weight will help.

Location please. I get squirrel from PA maybe you are close by or Milo's Mom is in PA too.

theo_99 Guest

First let me apologize for such a late response, I was swamped at work and other issues today. I regret to inform everyone that the squirrel passed away tonight. I returned home around 9pm and the squirrel seemed to be doing much better. He had eaten and drank more water from the dropper earlier today. When i came home tonight to check on him he drank some more water again. I also noticed that there was some fecal matter protruding from under his tail which I took to be a good sign. It looked as if the waste had dried and stuck there so i gently pulled what I could out. Immediately after it was out very liquid waste started to release, which I again took as a good sign. I figured the dry waste had blocked him up and he was now releasing what had gathered in his bowels. I cleaned him up and took some pictures which I was going to post on this site. I then put him back in the blankets he was wrapped up in, but not even 30 seconds later he began to gag repeatedly. His breathing slowed and not even 10 seconds later he stopped moving. I checked for breathing and signs of life but none were apparent. I buried the poor squirrel by a tree in my yard. Thank you all for your support and I am sorry that this story does not have a happy ending.

I am so sorry to hear that the little one passed. It only take a moment to fall in love with any living animal and baby squirrels are no exception. Thank you for doing what you were able to for the little one and thank you also for giving him a proper burial under what I am sure is a lovely tree. You have a wonderful heart to have taking this little one into your home and to have done the best you could for him under the circumstances. Keep you heart open and know that it is never wrong to help one of God's creatures. Rest in peace little one.

Aww.. So sorry to read your post.
    Rest in peace little one.
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

" For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

theo99 - Thank you for comforting and helping this little squirrel. Because of you, he did not die alone. He passed away while warm, with food, water and a friend nearby.

Gods Speed little squirrel baby!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by theo_99 View Post
    So I found a very young squirrel (I'm guessing around 2 months old) on my porch the other day. He seems to be paralyzed from the waist down because he can't moveand his hind legs or his tail. I brought him inside and have kept him over night wrapped loosely in a towel and in a well heated and comfortable area. He has been drinking water from a dropper and has been eating walnuts. He is capable of moving by crawling with his two front legs. I have not been able to observe if he has gone to the bathroom or not. My biggest concern is if he is in any pain or not. He is breathing heavily but has gotten ample sleep and has been eating and drinking well. Should I take him to a vet? Is there any chance of rehabilitation? Should i continue to care and nurse for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I had/have one the same way. He was about 2 months old when he came into my life. I tried many different things and I know that this sounds crazy but a vet told me to try to give him yogurt so i bought vanilla yogurt and would give him a little bit each day. In about a week he was starting to use his back legs. I had thought he was paralyzed. we were even looking into making some kind of device with wheels for him. two years later he has very good movement with all 4 legs. They are not"normal" but they are normal for him. He can climb but he wiggles his way down in his cage. He can run much faster then I ever would have thought. It is worth a try. Good luck and keep me updated. I hope that he is better soon.
    Carrie

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.