Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: peter's poops!

Default Re: peter's poops!

Monkey chow is OK but not really great. Have you ordered the Henry's blocks?

Teeth can be VERY problematic for squirrels and may even need trimming. They grow for life and a malocclusion can be deadly. He may be fine though. Can you post some pics? Putting a pencil behind them can help.

Some squirrels will use a potty corner. You might want to put some Carefresh shredded paper in the corner and try to train him to use it.

The board is getting very busy and many of our best member also have their own sqs to take care of so if you don't get answers, ask again and again.

I will try to point some CGS people here.

I have a ground squirrel that I've had since he was a baby. I'll go back and read through this to see what advice I can offer. I will say Petey didn't care for juice much but loved prune baby food.

If you want to send me a list of your main questions right now I will answer what I can.

ill get some photos of his teeth today.
    mann is he going crazy right now, will not sit still for anything bouncing off the walls, i left him a monkey chow in his cage since he would not eat, and he ate it all, im going to try to soak an oxbow and leave it for him and see if he eats it or maybe mix up the two, i actually just read about henrys yesterday and was thinking about ordering some.

He weighs 86 grams today (before feeding btw)

I have a Richardson ground squirrel. Maybe a cousin.. To rehydrate he loves watermelon and cantaloupe. It helps. They have really tiny mouths. I even have a hard time giving medicine through a syringe bc of small mouth and his teeth so I have to mix it up with a small amount of yogurt. Fortunately he goes Gaga over yogurt.

still not wanting to eat, took nibbles of his monkey chow.
    hes bright eyed bushy tailed and just can NOT sit still lol
    i was able to get some apple blueberry baby food into him but not much and idk how much because my syringes have lost their printing lol so i have to go get new ones.

he does NOT like me to do the skin test anymore and tries to bite me but it seems like hes hydrated..

here are some photos

Name:  10253956_10152817796144816_6797132940377195939_n.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  10177899_10152817796579816_4538196449508643677_n.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  10001324_10152817796709816_8784836715899763369_n.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  10154354_10152817797189816_229645339626400502_n.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.8 KB

any answers on why he grinds his teeth
    ?
    i tried tot ake a photo with a pencil but his mouth seems to not want to open that much im afraid to force it.

Petey used to make teeth grinding noises while he slept. He's never had any teeth issues though. If you can even pull down the lower gum while yours is asleep you can probably see the bottom teeth to at least see how they are doing.

You've got to get a pic of the long teeth in case they're dangerous.

Ask questions. Ground squirrels have special needs, especially for diet, and you need to know. Unfortunately, the board is very busy right now, so you have to ask the questions and keep asking them. People get forgotten about unless they push things. I even forgot about the teeth and I'm fairly active on this trhead.

i was able to look at his teeth and i think they're normal when my fiance comes back ill get him to take a photo for me.
    hes still not wanting to eat, and im 80% sure he's a ca ground sq.
    im soaking some monkey chow for him i put him in a larger cage and he just keeps trying to burrow under the carefresh in there. he took a few nibbles earlier it seems he only wants the food if im NOT paying attention, like when i leave a monkey chow in his cage because he did not want the formula, then he eats it/takes it to his balled up shirt nest to eat it all, but if im watching him he rather not eat but attempt to get out of the cage/my hands etc.

okay you know what he's a rock sq. his tail is more like a rock sq than a grownds.
    theirs are short and nubby and not so bottle brushed, his is.
    plus their colourings look the same. the white behind the neck colouring and all that.

You have to research food. And ask, ask ask. They're not big on sq blocks, I don't think. I think they have otehr requirements as the basis of the diet, but I can't remember what. Maybe grasses? Don;t know. Also, there are concerns about releasabilty, if you were thinking about it. Many ground squirrels can't be reintegrated. Just be a pest and keep asking if you care about him. This is a bad time for the list. Lots of questions are coming in, and lots of the people who normally help answer them are busy taking care of their own. We're all really thin right now.

Name:  20140418_221756.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.02 MB
    Name:  20140418_221626.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.08 MB
    Name:  20140418_221441.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.09 MB

TEETHIES!

Rock sq Food Habits

The daily activities of S. variegatus consist mostly of foraging and feeding. Rock squirrels forage both in the trees and on the ground. They climb bushes and trees in search of food nearly as well as tree squirrels. Most foraging takes place in the morning, where food ventures last about twelve minutes at a time. As temperatures increase, rock squirrels spend less and less time during each foraging trip. Rock squirrels eat some of their food as they collect it, but often bring it to a lookout point to eat. In addition, rock squirrels collect large numbers of food items in their cheek pouches and bury their bounty in small holes outside their burrows. The cheek pouches of rock squirrels are quite large, and one researcher counted 62 Gambel's oak acorns carried in the pouches of one individual.

A very wide range of food items makes up the diet of rock squirrels. S. variegatus is known to eat green vegetation, fruits, nuts, grains, berries, roots, flowers, cacti, invertebrates, and small vertebrates. Some of the most important plant foods include, oak acorns, wild sumac berries, cherries, wild plums, wild rye, assorted grasses, walnuts, pine nuts, mesquite, juniper berries, currants, cacti, and agaves. The primary invertebrate food items are grasshoppers, beetles, and earthworms. The wild vertebrates that rock squirrels prey on include young wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) and other fowl. In captivity S. variegatus has even eaten a bannertail kangaroo rat (Dipodomys spectabilis).

The diet of rock squirrels changes seasonally depending on availability of food items. Mostly green vegetation is consumed in early spring, berries and and other fruits are consumed in the summer, and grains, seeds, and nuts are eaten in the fall.

Some preliminary research has shown that where rock squirrels feed on pinyon pine (Pinus edulis), they compete for seeds against birds and insects. When insect herbivores were removed from pinyon pines, small mammals (including S. variegatus) consumed more of the seeds. (Christensen and Whitman, 1993; Johnson, 1979; National Audobon Society, 1996; Oaks, et al., 1987)

Primary Diet
    omnivore

Animal Foods
    birds
    mammals
    eggs
    insects
    terrestrial worms

Plant Foods
    leaves
    roots and tubers
    wood, bark, or stems
    seeds, grains, and nuts
    fruit
    flowers

Foraging Behavior
    stores or caches food
    Gotta get the diet right. It's the most importnat thing for sqs. Getting it wrong causes suffereing and early death.

ALso gotta reasearch how to keep them. For example, do they need a digging place?

And do they hibernate? That's a whole separate thing that scares a lot of people.

We'll wait for someone with more GS experience, but from those shots, the teeth don't look horrible to me. Better shots are needed, especially showing length. Make sure they are not cutting the roof of the moth. Could the short teeth have been broken? Are they just starting to grow because so young?

I think they're short because they started to grow they dont look broken, and no they dont seem to be cutting the roof of his mouth.
    I think his teeth are okay he just grinds them a lot and he is making clicking sounds less and less often..

Looks like they don't hibernate usually, and when they do, it's for short periods.

BUT they are a colony squirrel, which I know from looking into other GSs, can make reintroduction hard or impossible. Don't know for sure about this guy though. Some kinds just don;t tolerate outsiders. You've either grown up as part of the community or you're nothing. Depends on species.

Btw, are you open to being his forever family now? As they may not accept them, they would be foreign to him too. You're all he knows. And imprinting is super important to them.

of course id love for him to return to the wild, but if that's not possible then i am open to being his forever family as long as i can continue gaining knowledge on how to keep him happy and healthy.

he had some food yesterday and over the course of the night he had a monkey chow, as long as he is eating the monkey chow should i not worry too much about him not wanting to be syringe fed?

he refuses the formula, and the hydrations.
    i put a water bottle there in his new cage and he is drinking from it, he also dug a little burrow in his carefresh and slept in it last night and left his tshirt and sock buddy alone in the corner of the new cage.

yaknow hes becoming angier and angrier with me trying to bite every time i try to touch him..

he weighs 87 grams this morning before feeding
    his poops are normal now, not hard not long strings but just little pellets, (theyre dark tho)

Name:  tumblr_n4asnblaCT1qasklbo1_500.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  35.9 KB

caught him eating.
    hes had 3 monkey chows today
    still refusing syringe food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast