Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: peter's poops!

Default Re: peter's poops!

Sorry that he;s bity and sorry that people aren't really chiming in. Lots of people have problems with bitey sqs. Make sure he's not protecting his food. You might handle him after his food is gone or he's at least had a long time to eat it. Protecting caches is also a bit cause of aggression, as are weird smells like hand cream, deodorant, soap, etc. You might have to experiment to see what might set him off.

havnt been able to be on recently with easter and all
    and im about to head to work, but just wanted to fill you guys in yesterday, he weighed 120 grams!

Glad he's dong well!

Monkey chow is good for teething but not good on nutritional value. Have you found some other squirrel or rodent block you can give him instead. He wont be getting much nutrition from the monkey chow. Let me know if you need ideas on the blocks. He looks skinny but may just be from the pics? Other wise he is a pretty boy!!

Here is dome info on CGS. Although have you confirmed its a CGS for sure??

The majority of the California ground squirrel's diet is made up of plant parts like leaves, stems, flowers, seeds, berries and fruits. Occasionally, it will eat insects and small animals

Infant: The infant CGS diet is similar to the infant tree squirrel diet. A variety of formulas may be used including
    Esbilac, Fox Valley and Zoologic Milk Matrix mixed as instructed.
    Weaning: Add powdered rodent blocks or high protein baby cereal to formula soon after their eyes open. Small
    amounts of soft fruits and vegetables, small pieces of rodent block and grains may also be offered.
    Post-weaning: Rodent blocks and Zupreem monkey chow biscuits can be used as the staple diet to insure proper
    nutrition. 30% of the remaining diet may be fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, berries and some nuts. CGS love
    broccoli. They may also be offered crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms and small bits of meat prior to release. I
    give them small bits of cooked chicken.

good rehab article: http://www.animaladvocates.us/cgsmanual.pdf

I would keep continuing to offer formula several times a day for awhile. Add in wild plants (make sure they are safe, not poisonous and not pesticide treated) - my RGS is a big fan of dandelions and a lot of weeds and grasses, leaves from outside. Especially if you can see what his outside family likes to eat.
    Add in store bought veggies - chopped romaine lettuce (not iceberg - it has zero nutrition) and other veggies he may like - try broccolli. Minimal fruit but he will probably like apple (no seeds, they are poisonous), blueberries, etc. Make sure yu chop the veggies and fruits small at first so he can eat them.
    Also you can add in mueslix and/or plain uncooked oats (oatmeal - not quick oats). Sometimes I give my RGS a handful of bird seed (the unshelled ones) and he really loves plain organic pumpkin seeds. Read more about diet and you should get it and also adjust to what he likes. If he is fat....reduce food....skinny...add some more. Just make sure he gets a lot of his diet from rodent blocks and or formula so he can get the vitamins he needs.

For protein later you can try small bits of cooked plain chicken - ya know...not KFC. Pet stores carry live mealworms. My
    RGS never cared for them but he loves him some waxworms (you can get those also at a pet store).
    Feed sparingly. Maybe one or two a day.

Definately looks like a CGS to me - "They are mainly brown with paler dapples. They have a pale V-shaped
    area of fur at the neck running over each shoulder that looks like a white spotted stole."
    I see the white on him over each shoulder.

Adults weigh about 10-26 oz. (280-740 gm)

6-10 weeks: Begin to emerge from burrow. Females will nurse young for 7-8 weeks. Almost a week after
    emerging from the burrow they can forage on their own. Weight about 90 grams.

14-18 weeks: About 90% of their full size.

You need to weigh him daily to make sure he is gaining every day. At 87 grams he is about 6-10 weeks. At least weigh him every other day so you can track if it is difficult to do it daily. Weight will tell everyone a lot about his progress.

My RGS is litter box trained - just find where he likes to "go" when he gets older and then place a small box there with hay or grass or whatever cage stuff you are using like crinkle cuts, etc. ---and mine likes to burrow like a CGS. If cage is big enough put in a box of untreated soil or sand for him...or outside play time you can use an aquarium as well. He will love to dig.

Thanks for getting in on this one MB! I know so little about these guys. I was going to make the suggestion about dirt too. Any advice on food? Do these guys need grass or hay? I think that GSs have some alterations in the normal sq diet, right? Like I think that blocks are more of a supplement rather than a staple?

Oh I missed the new weight of 120. The article link I sent you has really good info on habitat (they like to burrow) and food. And some on release. I dont know anyone on the board who has experience with a CGS release so maybe keeping him is a good option to consider. He may also like a wheel to run in.

I believe their diet is different than my Winston. CGS are primarily seed based where my RGS was hay based so maybe the blocks are good for the CGS - at least some articles I read suggest that.
    When they are around 6-7 weeks of age I start to introduce harder foods such as bits of carrot and small pieces
    of rodent blocks. I will also give them some shelled almonds so they can learn how to chew on things. They will
    generally just chew some of the food up and not eat it which is fine. When the formula feedings decrease, I
    increase the amount of soft and harder foods until they are totally weaned around 10 weeks or so. Then I give
    them breakfast and dinner of hard and soft foods. Get them used to normal squirrel feeding times by feeding them
    within a couple of hours after sun up and within a couple of hours before sun down. Some squirrels may refuse
    formula at 6-7 weeks of age, some will still beg for it at 10 weeks of age which is within the realm of normal.
    Copyright 2004 Mary Cummins - Squirrel Rescue 8

Below is a list of some acceptable foods for squirrels. As with everything be sure to introduce new foods
    gradually. Some squirrels can get bloody diarrhea if they eat an entire walnut for the first time while others can
    get green soft stool from eating too much avocado. I always try to make sure that there is a little food left over
    so I know that they're all eating enough. Use nuts and seeds as treats only or they will get fat.

Fruits and veggies: grapes, cherries, apple, melon, tomato, avocado, butternut squash, orange, broccoli, endive,
    turnip greens, cucumber, okra, green bell pepper, raw corn on the cob, pear, green bean, sugar pea, sweet
    potato, spinach, mustard greens, carrot, carrot tops, raw soy bean, plum, banana, kiwi, mango, strawberry,
    strawberry tops, buck eye, blueberry, blackberry, raisin, fig, date, peach, nectarine, apricot to name a few. Nuts
    and seeds: pine nuts, acorns, pine cones, sunflower seeds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts; sun dried
    watermelon, cantaloupe, squash and pumpkin seeds. They also like fresh rosemary, fresh lavender and rose petal
    clippings. Ground squirrels getting ready for release and adults also like a tiny bit of cooked chicken.

sorry guys iv been so busy with work iv been too tired to update.
    but just an update: he's very nippy, while in his cage, loves to burrow and ill take some photos right now for you, i made a hammok out of flease and he filled it with carefresh! he has a potty corner which i have put a rat-sized litter pan in for him

Hes not really liking the oxbow, prefers monkey chow but ill keep trying to convert him over until i can order some of henrys blocks. (probably next week, on tues)
    he likes his berrys/veggies, not interested in much else. still refuses the syringe so i think im going to stop because i think it stresses him out. as he gets very angry when i try to hold him to feed him (one hand over the back)
    he is not real active during the day that i see but at night/when people are quiet or not around.
    he climbs the bars and goes crazy. photos to come up next

also he weighs 136 grams today.

Name:  tumblr_n4iqfpawU41qasklbo2_1280.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  148.6 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n4iqfpawU41qasklbo1_1280.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  169.3 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n4iqidjSg31qasklbo1_500.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n4iqidjSg31qasklbo2_1280.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  264.9 KB

He's so cute! He looks like a CGS to me. I think there's been a lot of research done on them. I also think that one member here contacted some processor in CA about them and got a bunch of info. Have you researched them yet to find out how to raise him properly? I'm sorry that I just don't have time to help you. If you like, you might try creating a new thread in non-Emergency with a good title like, "Advice on California Ground Squirrel?" There always just so much to know.

What a cutie!!!! You can offer him formula in a shallow dish rather than syringe. I would offer it in a dish for another week but that's just me. What oxbow are you giving him?
    Have you bought a wheel? Most. Squirrels love them

If you haven't gotten a wheel, there are recommended ones, like Wodent and one other I think, with no bar in the middle so they don't hurt themself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123