Thread: New squirrel

Default New squirrel

I have a ~4 week old baby squirrel. He was blown out of a nest along with a few siblings. One died and one went with another litter to a rehabber to release. Unfortunately, this one (male, named Gerald) will not be releaseable due to a mid shaft femur fracture to his left rear leg. He has had multiple x-rays and been examined by a veterinarian (I am a vet tech) who deemed him to not be releaseable. He said that Gerald's leg would not grow properly and would always be "gimpy." After much thought, we decided not to put him through surgery to pin it but to rather let it form a calcification in the fracture to form stabilization. So basically I have never had a baby squirrel past a few days. I have had Gerald for about two weeks now. He is doing well, he has been weaned off pain medication and is on the 20/50 Fox Valley formula (5 cc every 5 hours) and has just been started on Oxbow rat and mouse blocks (although he has no idea what he is supposed to do with them). The problem I run into is the possibility of wanting to re home him, how would I go about doing that? I don't know if I would be a suitable owner long term for him, I have no idea what they need in means of care, playtime, adult feeding, caging, etc. And I am also in paramedic school and when I graduate, hope to have a job as a paramedic (which means I will be working for 24 hours at a time). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

Default Re: New squirrel

Hello - this is my first time posting in this forum (I am a new member and have recently been helping my local vet raise and rehabilitate local wild life).

Just as an FYI - I have a squirrel I raised from about 4 weeks old. The vets office wanted to put him down because he had no feeling in his toes on his back left leg and a HIGH 'hip' leg break. After several x-rays we decided it would be worse to try to put pins in this little guy as they heal too quick.

I took him home and confined him to shoe box for 1 week and then a SMALL cage for another week. He wobbled around in a slightly larger (small bird sized cage) at my house after that. For the first 2 weeks I started to hold him and lightly rehab his leg. Playing with his toes, bending his leg in the correct position, sitting him up properly, etc. Just a few minutes a couple times a day.

I also give my squirrels plenty of calcium I get from the vet. It's liquid and I put it in their water, applesauce, squirt it on their veggies nuts, lots and lots of protein and calcium.

Anyway, I know this isn't ALWAYS the case, but 4 MORE weeks later and my little guy is completely healed and actually the most attached to me but healthy and active and soon to be released (if I can let him go). I NEVER thought that leg was going to heal and I was planning on permanently fostering him if it did not (if of course he could live out a comfortable happy squirrel) Which is why I joined this board, to find out what is and what is NOT acceptable for these wild animals.

Anyway, just sharing. I would wait 3-4 more weeks before even thinking about what to do next with your little guy.
    I also wish I was close to you as I would take him to our vets program to be permanently fostered.

Let me know how it's going.
    JS

Default Re: New squirrel

Sounds like you may not have read the diet thread:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

What blocks do you give?

Liquid calcium is usually very lacking in actual usable calcium.

I think you had the release post? If nutrition has been lacking, it can effect release date.