Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Released squirrel missing

Default Re: Released squirrel missing

So glad that she came back home.
    Atleast you know she is ok. She might skip a few days here and
    there - but you know she can take care of herself and is doing ok.

Wow - so glad she came back home

Loyalty is not about the people who act true to
    your face. It's about who remains true
    behind
    your back.

You can get Ivermectin from an equine vet or should be able to get it from a small animal vet. I can also get it at Tractor Supply, which has an online shopping site.

I see you are in Canada, but I'm sure you can get it shipped to you, just not sure about the cost. I am not an expert, but I believe (guys correct me if I'm wrong) treating her with the Mange RX won't hurt her if she doesn't have mange. So treat her and if she gets better you will know you did the right thing

Congrats on getting her back.

Thabks for replying,
    I live in a city of 330 000 people and I am certainly not aware of how to get to a equine vet. I will certainly look into getting it shipped here. It is very much illegal to do what we did here with wildlife. You are not allowed to have wildlife inside for more than 24 hours before you are legally obligated to contact a wildlife rehabilitation centre. There are definetly no vets around here that would see her and I'm afaid if I take her anywhere or call a vet they would send over animal control to capture and euthanize her.
    When we had her inside I had been concerned that she had pneumonia or bugs. She managed to make it through without us ever having to treat her with revolution or antibotics. She is the toughest and maybe luckiest squirrrel on the planet earth. She has not come back to see me since I saw her 2 days ago. I thought maybe we were just inside when she came but today I spent all afternoon outside doing yard work and she never came at all. It's odd that 2-3 weeks ago we had dozens of squirrels in the yard going totally nuts and now there are maybe 1 or 2 squirrels I see each day. I had stopped putting out as much food after I hadn't seen her in many days. I wonder if one of my neighbours is putting out lots of bird seed and that has attracted all the squirrels away from my yard. I don't want to just put out tons of food because other squirrels will just eat it all or even chase Sandy off. There were even 10 or so squirrels that were staying next door in my neighbours garage that seem to not be around anymore. I don't think he would harm them as I have seen him put out food for them or birds. he even had a bunch of bread in his yard today and it took hours for anything to come along and eat it. They just all seem to be gone.
    Anyway I hope she will come back soon and if she does I will get higher resolution photographs or her and post them here to see if there is anymore opinions on what may be going on.
    Thanks again guys.

You can also just check with farm/equine supply centers. I know you've got to have some around there. I mean, we have them in Boston! I've never been to London, but I have spent a lot of time in southern Ontario (grew up across the border) and I know that you have Tractor Supply stores there, there's one that I see in Waterloo every time I go there, and at least in the US, they sell Ivermectin, so you could call them too.

My wife just came home and she said she can get invermectin. I am going to try putting out more food to try and attract her back around my yard.
    I read on another thread that invermectin could be harmful to pregnant or nursing squirrels. Is that true?
    Ialso read on a squirrel research paper that recovery of wild squirrel populations from mange was common with up to a 90% recovery rate observed in some cases.

Yes, it's true. Always look for exposed nipples. If they're enlarged, especially if they're naked as if babies were suckling, Ivermectin isn't the right choice in most circumstances.

And yes, almost all recover.

Thanks I feel much better hearing that. I'll keep a close eye on her if she's around but I'd bet she'll be just fine

Awwww.... We're still waiting for our little BB to be our buddy again. He came running up to us whenever we came outside all winter. Then he disappeared. He came yesterday for awhile -- but he ran from us. But he did his old BB thing yesterday where he jumps up and grabs the handle on the backdoor. He's never been in the house so I assume he thinks that opening the door will cause his two human food-bringers to appear.

So -- I'm happy he's okay, but sad that he's not really our little BB anymore. Maybe when the lusty spring hormones settle down, he'll be okay with us.
    Anyway -- don't give up hope -- she's probably minding her babies. Could be in a few months she'll bring them down to say hello.

Thanks again for everything guys.
    Sandy hasn't come home again since Saturday (3 days) but I feel a lot better having seen her just that one time in the last 2 weeks. I know she knows how to get home if she's hungry or needs help.
    I'm thinking more and more about Sandy having had babies. My wife has thought for while now that Sandy was pregnant. I'm excited for in a couple months when, hopefully, Sandy brings the babies around to hang out.

Hi guys,
    Sandy had come home again on Wednesday but I didn't see her again until today, Sunday. She came home and she is badly injured it appears that she has broken her left front arm. She doesn't appear to have mange like I previously thought. I am very worried that she won't make it out there with such a severe injury. I had propped open the door to my mud room to try to get her to come back inside so I could check her out better and I had her in there for a moment until my son opened the inside door to my kitchen. He was trying to argue with me that she wouldn't come back in. I yelled at him to close the door so that my 2 cats don't get out at Sandy or she didn't get inside the house. When I was yelling at him she ran back out the door and took off through the trees back towards the direction she always goes to. I have to work soon but I have told my wife to lure her in with a little food so she doesn't get full and take off again before we can get ahold of her to check her out better. If anyone has any suggestions I need advice on how to save my sweet baby Sandy.
    Someone please help. Here are some pictures.

Name:  DSC_1375.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  1.20 MBName:  DSC_1379.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  1.19 MBName:  DSC_1391.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  DSC_1364.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  1.18 MBName:  DSC_1365.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  1.13 MBName:  DSC_1369.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  1.19 MB

I got her inside now but she is not happy about it. She doesn't appear to have protruding nipples so I don't think she's had babies or anything that we're keeping her from doing. My immediate plan is to keep her inside until I see some improvement with her arm. it looks like there is a cut or scratch on the arm and she is limp wristed almost walking on the top of her hand. She is active like normal and is clinging to the screen door and making grunting/growling noises to tell me that she wants back out. I am worried that the stress of being captured after 6 months wild will be very stressful for her. I am also worried that she may hurt herself worse from trying to get out. I'm also somewhat afraid that she may badly attack me or my wife. She has never shown any serious aggression to us other than biting my wife's hands when there are peanuts around, but she has badly attacked my son's face a long time ago when we first still had her inside.
    Please someone help us!!!

Bringing her in was definitely the right thing to do! I'm not an expert so I can't really give you any good advice, but I'm sure someone will be on soon to guide you.
    Where are you keeping her right now?

She is a pretty girl!

You have two options, you either have to get her insde and in a cage where you will be safe (and she will too) to let her rest and heal or you need to let her back out. She will chew out the screen, so keeping her there is not an option. If she has an infection in the paw, she will need ab's. Can you handle her enough to really check the paw out? As bad as breaks are, they do heal and squirrels seem to do just fine with them. But if it is an infection, then that is a different story.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

She's in my shoe/mud room which is attached to my kitchen and leads out to the back deck of my house. It is the room she was raised in. I have an older home and the room is not climate controlled with lots of windows for light. She seems to be sort of ok with being in there but she has been clinging to the screen door clearly indicating she wants back outside. She has been missing for weeks now only coming around every week or so but today she is definitely looking for our attention. She is climbing all over my wife and I and doesn't want to get off us. She has been much more distant over the last 3-4 weeks an usually doesn't jump on us anymore unless she thinks we have food for her. I opened the glass on the screen door so when she jumps at it she doesn't just bounce off hurting herself further and she can cling to the screen. Even if I look out the window at her she is very clearly wanting us to o out there with her. She may just expect that if she jumps on me she can ride me back out to freedom.
    I am so worried right now. I have to leave for work in 15min. so my wife will be checking the thread and responding to you guys.
    Thanks everyone on TSB and please give us any guidance you are able to.

My husband went in the door from outside & sandy ran out. She climbed the trees and is gone back outside now. He wants to know if he should try to get her back inside. I do not feel that the cut on her arm is infected. It is scabbed and does not appear to have bones sticking out or anything like that. She is favouring it but she is still very energetic and not scared to climb. She was more interactive towards us today then in the past 4 weeks. She never jumps on me & I do not usually allow her to either. My feelings towards Sandy are little different then my husband. I was the primary caregiver with her and all I want is for her live a normal squirrel life. My intention was to get her ready to leave our nest. I am scared for her out there but I am realistic in the fact that she is a wild animal who needs to learn to survive outside. I am very thankful to everyone on here for the advice. It has really helped my husband. He worries about her consistently & your advice has reassured him that she will be fine. If you have any advice on whether we should bring her back in please let us know.

You know her best, sounds like she is doing fine outside, just watch for any signs it is getting worse, then you will want to get her back in. Hard on teh heart to love a squirrel....we all know all too well!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

As bad as she was wanting out, I wonder about the possibility she has recently had a litter? Is there a way to follow her/do you know where her nest is? It could be too something could have happened to her nest and any babies, and that is how she was injured?

It's a hard call as to what to do for her. If it helps any, I did have a young male here who had a rather serious injury to his leg, and he did heal just fine out in the wild. If it doesn't look like an infection, and she is navigating well and climbing trees, she may be ok. I like to think if they need help, they will let us know. Be prepared with good food for her and go from there.

Prayers all works out good
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

Thanks for responding. My wife is right that I worry way too much about Sandy and my wife is more laid back about the fact that she has to learn to live as a wild squirrel and she may get hurt out there. I am more concerned about her arm than she is. As you can see well in a couple of the pictures she has like a ring on her arm where there appears to have been a cut of some type and Sandy is not standing on her hind legs like she usually does to eat. She is leaning on the nut and table to eat. She can grasp with the injured left paw but it jut hangs there limp unless she absolutely needs to use it.
    As far as her having had babies I had thought that for the last 2+ weeks that she's only been coming once every week or so. But today she was clinging to the screen both at our outside screen door and the kitchen window. Every time she saw me through the window she would get very excited and climb up to the window. Anyway I had a good chance to really look at her belly and I didn't see any protruding nipples at all. Her belly looked totally normal exactly like it did in September when we released her.
    Any input from anybody on her fur? As you can see it is thin in places and has looked like that for 3 weeks or so. At first I thought it was the early stages of mange but it look the same 3 weeks later and she seems fine.

Name:  DSC_1392closeup.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  294.7 KBName:  DSC_1378closeup.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  930.2 KBHere's a good picture of her wound. If anyone has an opinion on how serious this is please respond.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast