Thread: Lucky need Antibiotics

Question Lucky need Antibiotics

Lucky is a 10 year old female eastern gray. she has what looks to be an abscess on the inside of her rear left leg. It looks like she has popped it and has been keeping it clean. but she seems to be favoring that leg when she walks. I would like to put her on an antibiotic to make sure to keep out infection. I have Baytril 22.7 mg, and others if they will help. Tramadol 50mg, Rimadyl 25mg.
    I do not have a weight on her for she won't hold still. Being that she is an adult I would put her at around 1 and a half pounds.
    I will get a picture of her abscess as soon as I can and post it.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Default Re: Lucky need Antibiotics

Are you sure she needs an AB? I have had a wild who recovered from an enormous abscess on her face without my intervention. Is she indoors or outdoors?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

She is indoors and I have been watching her for a few days to see if it would start to heal on it own. When she was a baby she had an abscess on the same leg and it healed on its own. I want to make sure it does not affect her health due to her age.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

I know in a cat you want to be sure it doesn't close over before it has healed inside. Maybe a diluted betadine flush? Is it the dosing that you need or are you wanting to know which of the ABs is best for an abscess?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Have any idea how a injury possibly happened
    in the first place for it to develop into an abscess?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

R63, get in touch with Milos Mom: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...prayers-please

That thread is about a wild she is caring for that has/had some bad abscesses. She is working with a vet, and I know was using baytril not only as an internal med but also in the flush that she used to clean the guck out of the abscess. I am sure she can give you some pointers and the thread also has lots of info.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Hey Rocky - My PM's are not working, so if you want to reach me please send me an e-mail. milosmom041610@gmail.com

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page