Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MBD in a Flyer ON HHB!! What did I do wrong?

Default MBD in a Flyer ON HHB!! What did I do wrong?

I have a flyer who is now 6 months old or so. He's been doing great. I started him on HHB for Flyers at weaning and he eats them like a champ. He gets two a day along with some peanut stick once a day and a piece of fruit or veggie. I got in this afternoon and noticed he did not eat this am (I fed him later than usual as so I assumed he had just gone to bed early this am. But then he wasn't in his wheel when I went in and had to scoop him out of his bed and he's in tremors. Got some yogurt into him and headed to get some Tums now. But what did I do wrong?

Default Re: MBD in a Flyer ON HHB!! What did I do wrong?

If you have molasses, put a bit on his gums. It seems very unlikely that it is MBD with the HHBs. Do you give him worm or chicken for protein?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

How do you know he has MBD? Or are you just assuming?

Have you been following the healthy diet for flyers? Does he get enough protein?

Are you positive he was eating all of his HHBS and not leaving too many crumbs or stashing them?

Here's the healthy diet for flyers:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ght=flyer+diet

[QUOTE=SammysMom;978291]If you have molasses, put a bit on his gums. It seems very unlikely that it is MBD with the HHBs. Do you give him worm or chicken for protein?[/QUOTE]

I agree not likely mbd, not a flyer peep but this was my first thought also...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

What have you been feeding for protein? Flyers need protein every day, in the for of bugs, chicken, yogurt (although yogurt is not enough alone).
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

I remember Nibbles. He came in with a degloved tail. You're a vet right. When you say tremors do you mean seizures? Sometimes they feel like they are quivering or vibrating inside.

Yes! Nibbles. He had weakness and tremors but not what I would call a full blown seizure. (looked very much like the dogs we see that come in with hypocalcemia -lactating small dogs mostly) I suppose hypoglycemia would also look very similar. If he missed his meal this am perhaps that is what it is.

Our daily diet 2 Flyer Blocks, a fruit or veggie and a peanut stick from henry's (a small peice only) every other day. NO nuts. No I have not been feeding worms but we do yogurt several times a week. I guess I was under the impression that the FLYER blocks were the staple of the diet (provided all the vitals) and that any supplements were just that... supplements. Am I mistaken?

So Far What I have done: I had yogurt at the house and gave him some and then went to go get some tums. Tremors are much better when I got back and he's moving around a lot quicker but still on on his A game yet. I just finished giving him a crushed Tums with some more yogurt. He was eating one of his blocks when I got back in to him.

I truly believe this is more likely a lack of protein. Those little guys really need protein every day. Do you have any cooked chicken by chance?

Went back and read the Flyer Diet you posted, Fireweed. And according to that... maybe I am NOT feeding correctly? I was going by the directions on the Henrys Flyer Blocks and it gave me the impression it was balanced for the flyers increased protein needs. I see now that it says NOT to be the mainstay of the diet. And here I was thinking I was doing it right by being strict about not supplementing the blocks too much. Crap.

Lack of protein would cause an acute onset of symptoms like this? By what mechanism? ( hypoglycemia?) He's not skinny by any means.... in fact we were just stating the other day how fat and healthy he looked and I was worried I was feeding too much. Not questioning anyone's judgement... I'm NOT a squirrel person by any means. But I am honestly trying to do the right thing and I just want to understand the medical part behind it so that I can be more knowledgeable about these guys. They don't teach this in vet school!!

You are working on being a "squirrel person" and these things happen. I am going to send some of our more experienced flyer people as I am not one, but I do know through reading that this is a common problem. The lack of protein I mean.
    How could I have forgotten you?!!! Glad to see you back here.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    You are working on being a "squirrel person" and these things happen. I am going to send some of our more experienced flyer people as I am not one, but I do know through reading that this is a common problem. The lack of protein I mean.
    How could I have forgotten you?!!! Glad to see you back here.
    Thank you! He seems to be much improved but still a little "off" boiling an egg and planning to administer extra calcium every few hours just in case. Cover all my bases until "mommy" gets this figured out!

Egg is perfect! Just go to a Petco or other store that sells bugs and get some mealworms. You have the diet now and you are smart and willing to learn. It should work out just fine. I am going to PM you our member Mrs. Skul's telephone number. She LIVES for flyers and is up all night. She loves for people who want to learn about flyers to call her. I know it seems like it would be a bother to her, but it truly isn't. She knows all there is to know about flyers and loves to share that knowledge.

They have a higher protein need, similar to sugar gliders. Pick up some waxworms, mealworms, even super worms, as they like all of them (although find they like the waxworms the most, but they also have the highest fat, so you have be careful with that.) Also, make sure to dust the worms with straight calcium powder (not one that has added vit. D. They need vit. D, which they get from mushrooms, which also should be feed at least several times a week. Mine like shi-take the best.) I don't give hhb's every day to my flyers. I alternate every other day, on the other days, I give them a mazuri block. I also only give one a day. Mine get one nut a day, as well (usually an almond or a 1/4 piece of pecan.) I also will give in shell hazelnuts from time to time for their teeth. You should have a bird calcium block as well as a deer antler in his cage to chew on, as well. Greens every day, as well. Mine like avocado, so they get a tiny bit every night as well. I give different veggies, and try to mix it up, but some of their favs are sweet potato, cucumber, zuccini, brocolli. I buy all different veggies for them. Fruits I limit, but usually a blueberry, a very small piece of apple, some pomegranite or a piece of pear cactus, are some of the favs. Only give one fruit a day.

I have one flyer who if she gets stressed out will go into seizures (usually around having a nut and wanting to 'protect it'.)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Just talked to Ms Skul. My mind is blown with what I have been neglecting...

Here are some pics tonight. Nibbles is back in his wheel acting near normal now. Think I may take it out tonight so he doesn't overexert himself. Still not sure whether it was low calcium or low glucose... Bu going to cover both while we get his diet back on track.

Name:  20140208_193115-1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  827.3 KBName:  20140208_192951-1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  744.2 KB

Oh Nibbles! You have a "bunny butt"!!!

Mrs. Skul is the best! Glad to hear Nibbles is acting normal now. He's a cutie! Good idea to limit his wheel use tonight, though.
    Keep us updated!

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

BUUNY BUTT, Aunti G, someone is VERY JEALOUS!!!!! I am no Flyer expert, but my REds and Flyers get HHBs, also mealworms and dehydrated chicken breast, all of my squirrels love egg. Mrs. Skul, is the Queen, big hugs to you and your kid.

Update: Doing good this am. Still no signs of any tremors since the ones last night. ON calcium/yogurt every 2-4 hours and increasing his protein. Mrs. Skul also advised me to put him back on the FV formula which he happily drinks out of a bowl. Hopefully we are on the track to recovery!

Thank you for everyone's help.

Terrific report!!! FV is a wonderful thing for him to continue eating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast