Thread: Are sunflower sprouts okay?

Default Are sunflower sprouts okay?

Hello everyone,

I recently came across sunflower sprouts for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any idea on their nutrition for squirrels.

Default Re: Are sunflower sprouts okay?

Do you mean sunflower seeds? Or juvenile little sunflower plants? The seeds are VERY bad for squirrels -- loads of phosphorous and little calcium.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Do you mean sunflower seeds? Or juvenile little sunflower plants? The seeds are VERY bad for squirrels -- loads of phosphorous and little calcium.
    Not the seeds. I mean the sprouts (the juvenile plants).

I don't have any experience with them, so I am very leery of them. I have never had squirrels raid them in the garden, which adds another element of caution, to me.
    Squaddy to Rex - The Forever Baby boy!, Winkers , the One Eye Foxy Squirrel Princess!, Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world!, and now Mr. Cuddles , the very young Old Man!

Successes that we thought were not releasable
    -

Blue Belle (the squirrel who got braces and is now running wild in the trees!) and Felix, the cat bit squirrel who decided to be a stay at home squirrel and then changed his mind and is now running wild in the trees too! Clifford A beautiful Foxer who is now the wild squirrel he was supposed to be.

Mittens Who is FINALLY wilding up to go back to the trees as of October 2019. If that fails, he will come back home where he is welcome!!

Gone to the Rainbow Bridge, but not forgotten -

Stevie , the Blind Foxy Wonder Squirrel! - I tried, but wasn't able to save you beautiful Foxer girl.

Ambrose devoured any sprouts in his cage when he was outside. I have no idea on their nutritional value though..

I know squirrels do eat them in the wild because gardening forums are littered with posts about how to keep squirrels from eating the sunflower seeds and sprouts but I have no idea if I can feed on a regular basis, occasionally, or it's just not a good idea.

I found some info on them saying that they are high in Vitamin D, A, B complex, and E and that they have a lot of calcium but I still can't find any info on Ca:P ratios or much of anything else.

FOUND IT!!!

Sunflower sprouts
    Ca:P 1:8.5

A great source of Vitamin D and protein though. So it's probably not wise to use it as a daily source of greens. Maybe it is a better alternative than mushrooms or for those that have squirrels that refuse them?

http://welcometosprouting.com/sunflower-sprouts-part-2/