Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: running a fever

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nevada
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Unhappy running a fever

    my 1 month old squirrel is running a fever! I don't know what to do, I don't have enough money to take him to the vet! his ears are hot and he is shaking, he wont take his formula either. any help appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,244
    Thanked: 19412

    Default Re: running a fever

    Quote Originally Posted by bugsthesquirell View Post
    my 1 month old squirrel is running a fever! I don't know what to do, I don't have enough money to take him to the vet! his ears are hot and he is shaking, he wont take his formula either. any help appreciated!
    Are the pads of his feet warm.
    What kind of a container do you have him in?
    Do you have a weight on him?
    Can you detect any chest congestion?
    We can dose infant ibuprofen to try to reduce the
    fever, but we don't know the cause.
    Get a weight and I will send dosing for INFANT ibuprophen.
    What formula are you feeding?
    Has he aspirated?
    Do you have a heating pad UNDER his container?
    Can you post a picture?
    How long have you had him?
    How did he come to you?
    Could he have been cat caught?
    Is this a grey squirrel?


    Sorry for so many questions, the answers may help
    us determine the problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,219
    Thanked: 8913

    Default Re: running a fever

    Hi,
    What is his temperature? Has he been exposed to direct sunlight (cage out in the sun?)? What has his diet been over the last month? Is he pooping and peeing over the last couple days like usual?

    Make sure he is hydrated and rub a little molasses on his gums, it sounds like he could be seizing.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,219
    Thanked: 8913

    Default Re: running a fever

    Nancy, this was posted about Bugs:

    "Hi, my squirrels name is bugs and he is a 1 month old American grey squirrel. He has been kicked out of his nest and is very insecure, he was being eaten by a bird when he was rescued, luckily he came out with no injures, He has grown very close to me, this is the first time I have owned or took an interest in squirrels."
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nevada
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Thumbs up Re: running a fever

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Are the pads of his feet warm.
    What kind of a container do you have him in?
    Do you have a weight on him?
    Can you detect any chest congestion?
    We can dose infant ibuprofen to try to reduce the
    fever, but we don't know the cause.
    Get a weight and I will send dosing for INFANT ibuprophen.
    What formula are you feeding?
    Has he aspirated?
    Do you have a heating pad UNDER his container?
    Can you post a picture?
    How long have you had him?
    How did he come to you?
    Could he have been cat caught?
    Is this a grey squirrel?








    Sorry for so many questions, the answers may help
    us determine the problem.

    his pads are cold, he is currently in a bin from Wal-Mart with holes drilled in it for ventilation, he is 0.63 ounces, he has no chest congestion and when I first got him he aspirated, I am feeding him kitten formula { requested by my vet }, I have a heating pad under his cage at all times, I have had him almost a week, I don't know how to post s picture of him, he was being eaten by a bird and one of my family members rescued him, yes he is a grey squirrel.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nevada
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: running a fever

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hi,
    What is his temperature? Has he been exposed to direct sunlight (cage out in the sun?)? What has his diet been over the last month? Is he pooping and peeing over the last couple days like usual?

    Make sure he is hydrated and rub a little molasses on his gums, it sounds like he could be seizing.
    I cant take his tempature, no he hasn't, his diet is fruit veggies kitten formula and squirrel mix, he is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,219
    Thanked: 8913

    Default Re: running a fever

    Ok,

    Immediately ensure that he is hydrated and has had some molasses.

    We are going to need to change his diet ASAP, kitten formula is no good for a squirrel. Do you have any pedialyte? If not, you can make up some:

    one teaspoon salt
    three teaspoons sugar
    one quart of warm water
    Stir and store in the refrigerator.

    Give him this. Can you listen to his lungs and breathing, hold him up close to your ear and see if you hear any clicking noises? Make sure the heating pad is on and under 1/2 of the cage.



    Quote Originally Posted by bugsthesquirell View Post
    I cant take his tempature, no he hasn't, his diet is fruit veggies kitten formula and squirrel mix, he is.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Island, Bronx, NY
    Posts
    49,053
    Thanked: 12377

    Default Re: running a fever

    Just so we know what we are dealing with here, I am fairly convinced that this squirrel is MUCH older than "1 month", or four weeks old. A four week old should have sparse fur, eyes closed, and no way be eating fruits and veggies.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator


    "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo


    *
    If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

    "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

    '...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,244
    Thanked: 19412

    Default Re: running a fever

    You can email me a picture and I will post it for you.
    I will pm you my email address.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,244
    Thanked: 19412

    Default Re: running a fever

    Quote Originally Posted by bugsthesquirell View Post
    his pads are cold, he is currently in a bin from Wal-Mart with holes drilled in it for ventilation, he is 0.63 ounces, he has no chest congestion and when I first got him he aspirated, I am feeding him kitten formula { requested by my vet }, I have a heating pad under his cage at all times, I have had him almost a week, I don't know how to post s picture of him, he was being eaten by a bird and one of my family members rescued him, yes he is a grey squirrel.
    Check his weight again. The 0.63 cannot be correct, for a grey squirrel.
    That would make him only 18 grams.
    You want to feed him Powdered Puppy Esbilac with probiotics.
    Look on a can and get the one with Dried Whey Protein Concentrate as the third ingredient.

    Make sure that the heating pad is set on low...and that you have plenty of fleece or
    something in there where he won't catch his nail, (no loopy towels etc.)
    so he can climb off the heat if it gets too warm, BUT can't climb out of the bin.

    Link to the proper diet.
    Click on the picture several times to enlarge.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,219
    Thanked: 8913

    Default Re: running a fever

    Any updates?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,244
    Thanked: 19412

    Default Re: running a fever

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Any updates?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    270
    Thanked: 143

    Default Re: running a fever

    how is lil bugs?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    18,219
    Thanked: 8913

    Default Re: running a fever

    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Island, Bronx, NY
    Posts
    49,053
    Thanked: 12377

    Default Re: running a fever

    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator


    "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo


    *
    If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

    "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

    '...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,244
    Thanked: 19412

    Default Re: running a fever

    I sent my email address in a pm for the finder to send pictures.
    Never heard a word.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •