Thread: Squirrel in Montreal, Quebec missing large patches of fur.

SquirrelMontreal Guest

Default Squirrel in Montreal, Quebec missing large patches of fur.

We feed squirrels daily in our backyard, peanuts and walnuts.

However, there's one squirrel whose missing large patches of fur on each side of his/her body. I'm afraid for him/her, since the temperature is extremely cold here, -18 celcius/-1 Fahrenheit, I hope he/she doesn't get frostbite. Do you think he/she will be alright? It's not the first time I've witnessed this, but the last time was in the fall, which wasn't as bad since the temperature was manageable.

I ordered some Ivermectin (after doing research). As soon as it gets here I will dab a very small amount onto a walnut, as directed by Chris from Squirrels and More. I hope this works. I will also be careful, since I don't want a healthy squirrel mistakenly eating the medicated walnut.

Is the loss of fur due to the scratching from mites/parasites, or is there another possible explanation? I can't get close to him/her, since they're a very timid character, so I can't really tell what the cause may be. Am I doing the right thing by giving them Ivermectin? What else could I do?

Default Re: Squirrel in Montreal, Quebec missing large patches of fur.

Yes, Ivermectin is the way to go. A dab the size of and UNCOOKED grain of rice, once a week, for three weeks, but no sooner than one week between doses. Put it on the groves of a pecan and Spackle over with peanut butter. Never misses.

If it's too cold, he might not survive. You would have to make the call on survivability and frostbite, but he may need to be captured. Traps are available at placed like Canadian Tire. If you can't take care of him or need help we have a few members in and around Montreal who may be able to do so. I think they just helped someone about a month ago with this same issue (trapping because of mange and the cold).

Default Re: Squirrel in Montreal, Quebec missing large patches of fur.

Brrrr...that is cold. Poor darling, glad you care enough to try to help.
    Perhaps you could could get a photo? Meanwhile, just providing some good food & fresh water is a tremendous help.
    Please keep us posted (if possible).
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.