Thread: Splitting Siblings Up?

Dennism5986 Guest

Default Splitting Siblings Up?

At the end of July I found 3 little ones and have been raising them since. They were about 7-10 days old when I found them so they’re just about 5 months old now.
    I have a question about releasing them. Two of them have become very “wild” and seem like normal squirrels ready for release. They don’t really interact with humans, prefer to be running around the room on their own and actually bite when you get near them, if you can even get near them.
    The third one though, he’s like a little baby. When he’s out of his cage, unlike the others, he’d rather just sit on me. He’ll run up and down my shirt sometimes but he does not get off of me. He doesn’t run around the room, he doesn’t act wild and he acts like he’s a pet rather than a wild squirrel.
    I’ve been debating releasing the two wild ones and keeping my boy or at least keeping him until he “wilds up” some. Someone said to me that splitting him up from the other two isn’t good but I can’t see releasing him like this either.
    Are there any expert, or at least knowledgeable opinions on this?

Sorry to make this so long...

Default Re: Splitting Siblings Up?

How upset are the wilds? Can they wait? It is best to all be released at the same time, but they might leave the pet behind. Maybe he's a forever squirrel! Are they in a soft release cage? Are you overwintering? Is it cold where you are?

My experience: I've had two brothers out in the release cage together when I realized one was releasable and one was not for the time being. The releasable one was let go and did well on his own. Most squirrels are solitary as adults anyway, and the non releasable came back inside with me and acted as if nothing changed, still as sweet and dopey as ever.

I see that you are in FL, so it does not get too cold there to go ahead and move the two wild ones to an outdoor enclosure for a couple months. You could even try putting the sweet one out there and see if it wilds up. If not, bring him in. Or keep him in and put the other two out. If you can't handle them and they bite, it's a sure sign of wilding up.

Ultimately, they are your babies, and you have to feel out what's right for them.

I would go a head and place both of them outside in a release cage and give the sweet boy the opportunity
    to wild up...... you will be amazed at the change that can occurs in the sweetest of squirrel when they are out
    side and smell fresh air and hear all the sounds nature has to offer them. Just make sure you follow the feed
    and leave program where you have little to no contact with him any more other than to feed and water him.

Dennism5986 Guest

The two wild ones are pretty wild. One of them won't come near a human and bites. She bites hard and doesn't let go. The second one prefers not to be on humans but sometimes will run across me if I’m in her way. She bites somewhat hard but not enough to draw blood, and stops quickly.
    Then there’s the third one. He was always the bigger one. He doesn't like to be out of his cage unless he's on me and in 5 months has never once tried to bite.
    Yes, I’m in FL so it's pretty warm here year round. I will put them all out and see if he wilds up. If not, then I have no problem keeping him with me forever. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything too detrimental about splitting them up.
    Thank you guys for the advise and help.

I'm a day late but I'm going to agree that putting them all outside, since you're in FL, is the best way to give everyone a fair chance at wilding up.

JUST one caution: be very watchful during the first week or so that the two wildies do not overwhelm or bully the sweet guy too much. He needs to have equal access to food, water, and a nest box.....just watch that it doesn't become a 2-against-1 thing. (Squirrels will do this; I have seen it.) If it does, take Sweet Guy out of there quickly.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I'm a day late but I'm going to agree that putting them all outside, since you're in FL, is the best way to give everyone a fair chance at wilding up.

JUST one caution: be very watchful during the first week or so that the two wildies do not overwhelm or bully the sweet guy too much. He needs to have equal access to food, water, and a nest box.....just watch that it doesn't become a 2-against-1 thing. (Squirrels will do this; I have seen it.) If it does, take Sweet Guy out of there quickly.
    Good call, IR, I didn't even think about the bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    you will be amazed at the change that can occurs in the sweetest of squirrel when they are out
    side and smell fresh air and hear all the sounds nature has to offer them.

This is so true. You really never know how they are going to react to being outdoors.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.