Thread: Squirrels Have Suddenly Disappeared

Default Squirrels Have Suddenly Disappeared

I have been feeding our outdoor squirrels for over a year without any unusual occurrence. My first little orphan, Bart, has been outside for many months. In addition, two months ago I released two orphans I took care of until they were old enough to live outside on their own. I have always made sure there are plenty of nesting boxes, food, and water. Our yard has been quite popular for some time. Until four days ago, there were ten to fifteen squirrels that scurried about. Something occurred four days ago that caused all but three of the squirrels to simply disappear. My last two babies, Linus and Jazz, are still present and come to me in the yard. There is one other remaining little fellow who peeks at me around trees and dines each day. My first baby, sweet Bart, has vanished as well. Until four days ago, he came to see me everyday. We have cats and hawks in the area, but this has always been the case. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened to cause this strange squirrel disappearance? Could this be related to mating? Do they ever come back? Bart has been very healthy and active of late. I haven't seen any dead, injured, or sick squirrels. I am terribly sad that my boy has vanished and I will probably never know why. I live in the Florida panhandle and cold weather here is brief. sheryljane (Mom to Bart, Linus, and Jazz)

Default Re: Squirrels Have Suddenly Disappeared

Don't be so sure.

Short term disappearances can be females giving birth and staying in their nests, it can be something fruiting on a tree a few streets over that they hang by to eat, it can be a new yappy dog.

But I will tell you that I have a friend who lives on a farm who has been releasing squirrels on her property for years. They tend to remain near the house and some maintain a close relationship with her. They almost all disappeared this summer - there was one female and her babies and that was it. They were gone for several months and then last week they returned! All her babies came back from ??? They are not saying!

So continue doing what you do for your friends and like as not you will see them again.

It could be something as simple as an owl or hawk that is prowling the area, and everyone is keeping on the down low. Give it some time and don't worry too much. Things like this usually return to normal fairly quickly!
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Your words are very encouraging. I will remain hopeful that all is well and one day I'll see my boy again. Many thanks. sheryljane

squirel Guest

All my best wishes that your boy comes home soon !!!!!

I have had wilds disappear for a year only to suddenly reappear healthy and happy. Search my username and "Spaz" for an example. Hopefully they will turn up soon. I think they get called for super secret Ninja missions, I know they never talk about where they went!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

My little fellow has yet to return and I do miss him so. He brought great joy to our lives and we are grateful he spent a year with us (both inside the house and later, outside, after his release). I know the dangers that exist for these amazing little creatures, and we have them all--hawks, cats, and cars. There are two cats that belong to one of my neighbors, who live to terrorize the birds and squirrels in my yard. It is a constant battle to run them off. I have some small hope that Bart is well and happy just over the next hill, but my heart thinks not. We have two younger squirrels, Jazz and Linus, who charm us with their antics each day. We took great delight in caring for them until they were old enough to release. I will not say goodbye to my sweet, Bart. Perhaps his story isn't finished yet. sheryljane

Quote Originally Posted by sheryljane View Post
    My little fellow has yet to return and I do miss him so. He brought great joy to our lives and we are grateful he spent a year with us (both inside the house and later, outside, after his release). I know the dangers that exist for these amazing little creatures, and we have them all--hawks, cats, and cars. There are two cats that belong to one of my neighbors, who live to terrorize the birds and squirrels in my yard. It is a constant battle to run them off. I have some small hope that Bart is well and happy just over the next hill, but my heart thinks not. We have two younger squirrels, Jazz and Linus, who charm us with their antics each day. We took great delight in caring for them until they were old enough to release. I will not say goodbye to my sweet, Bart. Perhaps his story isn't finished yet. sheryljane
    You both were lucky to have each other even if the time was too short. I hope he is somewhere else enjoying the trees.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

squirel Guest

I'm so sorry Bart hasn't returned jet . I understand your sadness very well and wish you that he comes back soon . In the meantime you could go look for him . He could have moved somewhere else and if he sees or hears you I think he will come to you !!!!! I would simply walk around the neigborhood calling him and making noises with a few nuts looking for him . They can decide to have a nest and a territory just around the corner ( or farther away) for some squirrely reason . Wish you the best outcome

It could be weeks or months, but you would be surprised to find that they will disappear for long periods of time, only to show up out of the blue and wonder why you don't have the dinner table set for them! Don't give up hope. While predation is always a factor to deal with, they are pretty forest wise! For all of them to absent is actually a good sign because there is something keeping ALL of them away. I can't believe that a predator would get all of them. It is just more likely that a predator is keeping them away. Once whatever it is that is keeping them away moves on, I am sure your little guys (and gals) will be back to mooching off your handouts!
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

I hope they come back and make you a wonderful Christmas. I also live on the pan handle of Fla and have the same problem with my releases. In our neighborhood we have cats, owls, hawks and neighbors that go after them as well. I don't think I will ever release one in my area again. If you have a cat problem, which is a very serious threat, I would trap them and take them to the pound. They are natural born killers and kill just to kill. I just hope you will get a surprise visit from your little fuzzie real soon.