Thread: Bonding question, help needed!

Shemalv7 Guest

Default Bonding question, help needed!

It is impossible to find breeders in Florida but I found a place that has 3 babies. Unfortunately, they are about 10 or 11 weeks old and have been cuddling and bonding together since birth. I think they were weened off hand feeding a little early as well (probably about 6 or 7 weeks). So I would not be able to hand feed it and it is a little old for bonding and it may be already bonded with its sisters.... what do you think??? I am prepared to carry it around in a pouch for hours and hours but Im not sure if it is enough since it is a little older and was already weened off of hand feeding?

Also, I do not know the breeder since a small exotic pet store bought them from one. I may still be able to contact him...but Im wary..what questions should I ask him if I CAN contact him?

Any helpful tips are appreciated!!!

Default Re: Bonding question, help needed!

You are asking about a flyer right? It might just take him longer to bond with you than if you had gotten him younger. Just need patience and time. Carry him around with you as much as you can in a pouch so he gets used to your scent. Make sure if he's going to be a single you have ALOT of time to spend with him AT NIGHT. They are nocturnal. Even if weened, most will still take formula from you....some forever....and its good for them. Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing so you don't aspirate the little guy. You need a tiny tiny syringe and nipple. If you aspirate he will get pneumonia and die pretty quickly if not treated immediately.
    Again, they will bond with you....it just will depend on the time and effort you are willing to spend. And you will need a lot since the baby will be a lonely guy all by himself.

Default Re: Bonding question, help needed!

You can get a flyer to bond with you, especially one that has been captive born and /or hand raised. It will perhaps take a little longer, however these are still babies. I would certainly try to reintroduce formula.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ying-Squirrels. This has a section on bonding as well as behavior issues. But sure too to check out the flying squirrel diet in the same area.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.