Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just waiting

EmmasMummy Guest

Unhappy Just waiting

I am convinced that we are waiting for spike to pass. I went to feed him today and he is very weak. I don't hear any clicking in his breathing. I don't know whats wrong with him. I have called vets and have been told "we don't treat squirrels" or "We cant help you"! I am pretty much force feeding him like when I first found him. I have NO idea whats wrong with him. He's weak, he can still walk but doesnt want to. You pick him up and he just sleeps. I am crying right now, i feel like i failed him somehow. I feed him as much as im supposed to! I PLAY WITH HIM! I DO WHAT IM SUPPOSED TO! Minnie is growing, why isnt he? He hasnt been putting on weight the past day or so, he has ALWAYS been really skinny. I just feel like we are waiting for him to pass. My husband is pretty torn up, he REALLY adores the squirrels and i feel so bad. Im just happy that spike made it for my husband to get home, my husband would have been heart broken if he hadnt been able to spend some more time with him. He held him for a long time after he got home. Its really sad. Just pray for our little man. Will update soon.

-Sera

Default Re: Just waiting

I am so sorry to hear about Spike, I will be pulling and praying that he turns around for the better soon. My thoughts are with you and your husband. I wish I had some answers for you but I will let the experts step in to help and all I can do is send prayers.

So sad, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers Spike!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I am so sorry to hear that Spike is not doing good. He will definetely be in my thoughts and prayers. How much does Spike weigh? Could he be dehydrated? Zippy has done that a few times where she has a hard time digesting then doesn't want to eat. Try giving him just pedialyte for a few feedings, see if he will take that. I hope that that is all that it is.
    Another thought, Have they started eating any regular food yet? Maybe is there something that is not agreeing with Spike?
    I hope he gets better and quick!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Gabe Guest

That's too bad about Spike. When did you first notice he wasn't eating and as active as Minnie? Does he breath with his belly or with his ribcage?

EM can you take him to a rehabber in your area? She may have meds that could help him or better asess the problem!! Just a thought? First lets try what S&B said get pedialyte and rehydrate him. Can you post a picture of him?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Are you trying the pedialyte? Did he take it right down? Zippy would take the pedialyte even when she was very sick and I think she would try to live on the stuff if I let her. I really hope that works. Let us know.

i wouldn't try to force anything on spike except pedialyte. even that, though, should be taken with care. if he's having trouble swallowing, he could aspirate and worsen his condition.

keep in mind that sometimes these things happen. sometimes a squirrel will just suddenly get sick and not make it. the important thing is that you gave him a chance, and you're not giving up on him now.

keep him warm, but not hot. hydrate him once in a while. if he's really having trouble swallowing liquids, i could PM you about administering fluids through a subcutaneous injection, but i'd wait a while longer until it's really important that he gets fluids in him.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Twirly Squirly Squirrel Guest

Just stopping in to let you know I'm praying for your boy.

EmmasMummy Guest

Thanks everyone for your concerns. He has perked up a bit but is still weak. I am trying to rehydrate him. He can swollow and will take it he just doesnt suckle like usual. We are praying he will be alright but i am not very hopeful. I have been SO careful never to aspirate him or minnie and unfortunantly my efforts seem to not help he seems to still get sick.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Hang in there, Spike! And EmmasMummy -- and Daddy! You're in our thoughts.

Recap of earlier posts for the rehabbers who stop by: Spike has been skinnier, sleepier, quieter than Minnie from the start, but had been gaining weight til now. Eyes opened 10 days ago. Last week they tried baby food for one of his feedings and reported that went well initially. No clicking.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Hang in there, Spike! We're all rooting for you!

drakkonia Guest

Poor little guy. Don't give up hope!

buddy's mom, what do you mean by baby food?
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

GhosTS Guest

I hope Spike will get well...

EmmasMummy Guest

I was told by another person on here to give the squirrels baby food (now that their eyes are open). Not exclusivly just in place of one feeding.

Hang in there Spike, our prayers will pull you through.

Glad to hear Spike perked up a little with the pedialyte! Do you have a rehabber in your area that you can take them too? I would advise at least taking them in to see what the rehabber thinks. I think Spike needs to be checked out and he may need medicine.

I am the one that suggessted baby food. I always give mine baby food after they open their eyes to get them interested in regular food. It works great! I give them a fruit baby food mixed with a vegetable baby food and a baby cereal baby food. They get this and have a regular diet with the pieces cut large so they can't choke in their cage with them to munch on whenever they want.

Gabe Guest

Could Spike have aspirated on the baby food? I know EmmasMummy has not aspirated him on formula, but the baby food may have gone undetected.

Is there a rehabber near you that can look him over?

Buddy'sMom Guest

EmmasMummy -- I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment -- if you are not able to research rehabbers in your area, if you send me a PM with your general location in Texas (BIG state!), we can help find someone in the general area for you to contact about Spike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.