Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paralyzed

blueyed squirl Guest

Default Re: Paralyzed

Soemthing like this happened to Niki around the same age. It was until 24 hours later that I noticed a change. He wasn't really paralyzed but he definately had a problem. I took him the vet & he gave him an injection of som steriods to help the swelling. I wasn't happy with the way the vet handled it so I took him to my other exotic animal vet. He said to be sure that he's getting plenty of real sunlight, it helps them process their calcium. I was afraid that he had MBD from lack of calcium. He told me to be sure & give him calcium supplements. At first he said to mix it in babyfood & give it to him in a syringe. Well, that worked for about 2 weeks. Then I found a receipe for nut balls that are high in calcium. I don't have the link anymore but maybe someone on the board has an idea. After 2 more injections & a diet change he bounced back. I hope your little fellow does ok.

ravenlaws32 Guest

i have that nutball recipe if anyone wants it . some say it it dont work , some say it does. never hurts . FWIW i have another rehabber friend who has a fuzzie with head injury cannot be released and the fuzzie is 5 years old and never had much sunlight and is fine . she uses the nutballs. i say if it wont hurt them then why not.

How is he doing today srichko? Any updates?

Cassy Guest

Smile Re: Paralyzed

i agree with checking up on the MBD(metobloic bone disease) and also it might be form the goats milk becuase i started off with goats milk with my lil shakespear and he went very downhill until we got the formula esbilac because i had been givin some advice that goats milk can sometimes not be very good for squirrels...i almost lost my baby because of such a simple mistaek and is he getting the proper sunlight?
    well if yuo are in the downy dumps my friend found a baby just last night and with my instructions off the telephone we were able to get the mom take the baby back! good luck with him! -cassy

Buddy'sMom Guest

Cassy -- that's pretty exciting to have a hand in re-uniting a baby with its mom!! Nothing better for a squirrel-baby than it's own squirrel-mom! to you and your friend!

srichko53 -- any news today? You can get plenty of great help here for your squirrel!! The rehabbers are great and very generous with their time. Hopefully you were able to find a vet today? Since you are in Florida, it is legal for you to have a squirrel and seek care for it. If there is an injury that steroids can help, it is important to get them ASAP so they can do their job to reduce the inflammation. Please come back and let us know how he's doing and if you have any more questions. The folks here only want to help.
    Last edited by Buddy'sMom; 04-02-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: mistake

TexanSquirrel Guest

Well? How's he doing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.