Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New baby "Southern Flying Squirrel", New to all this and need help.

Default Re: New baby "Southern Flying Squirrel", New to all this and need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Semerrell View Post
    I was told by one of our regulars at the store (she raises squirrels and sugar gliders) that there is some pretty good building material that has perfect spacing to build a cage at Ace Hardware.
    I'm sure they carry 1/2 hardware cloth. If you're handy with building I'm sure that you can build a nice cage. There is a cage section on TSB. You can get some ideas from cages others have built.

One thing I would encourage you to consider before getting in too deep ... Flyers are nocturnal and that is when they want to play. They are also colony dwellers and are quite social little critters. They require a commitment of time. I haven't gotten a full night of sleep since I got my little guys ... BUT I sure do love them. I feel like they need my attention everyday. I can't just leave them in the cage. They need interaction with their people to be healthy mentally. Some develop neurotic tendencies ... like repetitive flipping. That is why I feel they need interaction every day.

With that said, they are amazing little creatures. When you see them fly for the first time, it is MAGICAL. It is worth every minute of sleep that I have given up for them.

Thrift stores are a great place to find cheap fleece. I get snuggies, baby blankets and pajamas there to make into cage gear and bags for my boys.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

I just got a cage set off of ebay from fuzzy lovers... It is all kinds of fleece hammocks and pouches that you can put in a large cage. I hung it all up yesterday for my two flyers and they LOVE LOVE it! I went to bed so late because I sat and watched them play for so long. I was new to flyers this year as well. I found my two in the mud. Luckily I had raised a grey before and released him back into the wild when he was ready so I sorta knew what I was in for. These guys really steal your heart! There isn't anything I wouldn't do for them. Anyway, back to the cage set - a little pricey but well made and like I said, my babies LOVE it....

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  14.7 KB
    I'm sure you're looking at this with a puzzled look on your face. Guess what ... you're gonna need some. It's a toilet ladder. One of the primary causes of death for flyers that live in the home is drowning in the toilet. Of course, keeping the lid down is important but the ladder is insurance in case someone forgets.

When a flyer is out of the cage, you always have to be careful. They can sit on top of doors, hide in chair cushions and get stepped on. My flyer once jumped off of me as I was walking. He landed in almost the precise spot of my next foot step ... a very close call. Now I scuffle my feet when they are out of the cage.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just giving you a 'heads up' of some of the things that you'll need to know to be safe.

Do we have a name yet?

No I don't have a name yet. Idk if it's a boy or girl. It's kind of hard to tell (to me). As far as cages go I plan to probably build one because I'm pretty handy when it comes to making things. Unless I find a good one for sale. I tried checking Fuzzy Lovers but I couldn't find anything. Although later tonight or tomorrow morning I will find out how much he ways in grams and let you guys know. Hes eating a little when I feed him every couple hours but I have to securely hold him so he doesn't squirm and will eat. Once I find out how much he ways we can get an approximate age and how much to be feeding him correct? Also when the time comes to start weening him over to solid foods how do I go about doing this? I just like to know what to do before the time comes so I can be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Semerrell View Post
    No I don't have a name yet. Idk if it's a boy or girl. It's kind of hard to tell (to me). As far as cages go I plan to probably build one because I'm pretty handy when it comes to making things. Unless I find a good one for sale. I tried checking Fuzzy Lovers but I couldn't find anything. Although later tonight or tomorrow morning I will find out how much he ways in grams and let you guys know. Hes eating a little when I feed him every couple hours but I have to securely hold him so he doesn't squirm and will eat. Once I find out how much he ways we can get an approximate age and how much to be feeding him correct? Also when the time comes to start weening him over to solid foods how do I go about doing this? I just like to know what to do before the time comes so I can be ready.
    We suggest never weaning a squirrel. Give them formula as long as possible. First food will be Henrys Healthy Blocks from Henryspets.com Once it is eating those VERY well, you can start with green leafy veggies off of the link below...

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ying-Squirrels

Squirrels are very prone to calcium deficiency in captivity which causes a severely painful disorder, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), which inevitably results in death. The formula helps to prevent that, as do the HHBs and correct nutrition from the healthy diet.

A bonding bag that zips is essential. A tip I will pass on is when you get ready to zip your baby in, to put your finger inside behind the zipper so that little whiskers, paws or a nose doesn't get caught as you zip it closed.

Flyers don't like to feel "contained" so try offering the formula while your flyer is sitting on your lap instead of holding it. If you have to, go into a bathroom or other small room that has been flyer proofed. You should be it's refuge for safety so try not to "chase" it. Let it come to you.

You need to build a trusting bond. Try to spend as much time with it on your body as possible so that it gets used to you. If it's sleeping in it's bag then put your hand down inside the bag so that it get's used to your presence there otherwise it may become "defensive" of it's territory.

Offer formula as long as it will take it, there is no set age for weaning. Some will take formula for life. Just offer a variety of leafy greens and veggies at first and always have blocks available. They flyer will let you know what it likes and what it doesn't but don't go by whether or not it ate it the first time it was offered. It's like teaching a toddler to eat right.

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleNutty View Post
    A bonding bag that zips is essential. A tip I will pass on is when you get ready to zip your baby in, to put your finger inside behind the zipper so that little whiskers, paws or a nose doesn't get caught as you zip it closed.

Flyers don't like to feel "contained" so try offering the formula while your flyer is sitting on your lap instead of holding it. If you have to, go into a bathroom or other small room that has been flyer proofed. You should be it's refuge for safety so try not to "chase" it. Let it come to you.

You need to build a trusting bond. Try to spend as much time with it on your body as possible so that it gets used to you. If it's sleeping in it's bag then put your hand down inside the bag so that it get's used to your presence there otherwise it may become "defensive" of it's territory.

Offer formula as long as it will take it, there is no set age for weaning. Some will take formula for life. Just offer a variety of leafy greens and veggies at first and always have blocks available. They flyer will let you know what it likes and what it doesn't but don't go by whether or not it ate it the first time it was offered. It's like teaching a toddler to eat right.
    I know about the bonding pouch and I'm going to make one out of fleece. I have tried to feed it while in my lap and on my chest but he doesn't seem to take it that way. I will keep trying to do it that way though. He doesn't run away from me or anything like that, actually he likes to cuddle up in my arm, shirt and pocket and he falls right to sleep. It's really cute (of course you all know that lol).

Yes, it's amazing how fast those tiny paws wrap you up so quick!

Hi there, Semerrell, and welcome to TSB.
    Sounds like you are gonna be a great flyer parent!! I'm a newer flyer parent. I've had Trixie since the end of May and she is an absolute joy. I learned everything about caring for her right here on TSB.
    Good luck with your new baby!!
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girls Mom View Post
    Hi there, Semerrell, and welcome to TSB.
    Sounds like you are gonna be a great flyer parent!! I'm a newer flyer parent. I've had Trixie since the end of May and she is an absolute joy. I learned everything about caring for her right here on TSB.
    Good luck with your new baby!!
    Well thank you very much Squirrel Girls Mom, I'm pretty excited about it. Really looking forward to raising this little fella.

Sounds like everyone has given you spot-on info so far. Just follow that (fox valley, henry's healthy blocks, good-sized cage, and fleece) and you should be fine I build my own cage out of hardware cloth and it worked out really well for me. Only about $50-$75 in materials.

Cute baby squirrel
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

Got some fleece yesterday and almost done with making a bonding pouch. I also made a small fleece pouch with fleece strips inside for him to snuggle up in. He climbed right in and explored and climbed near the top and fell right to sleep all snuggled up. Also he is eating a lot better now and he doesn't squirm when I hold him to feed him. I can tell hes getting use to me and feeling more comfortable with me. Its amazing how you can literally see his whole demeanor change. I'm going to get some landware cloth to wrap around a "Super Pet" cage that I have to make it secure for a temporary home until I can make or buy him a bigger cage. Ill take pictures of him and the pouches once its all done. I know you guys like pics and like knowing whats going on. All I need to do now is figure out if its a boy or girl to give him/her a name

I found a pretty cool site called "Sues Sugar Gliders" where she give you step by step directions to make cage accessories with no sewing required. Although I do know how to sew lol. Here is a link to her website http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

Hey guys I told you all that when I found out the weight of my SFQ i would let ya'll know. So I did and he weighed in at 25.25 grams. Is this a good weight?

Thanks for the updates and the info! I don't know much about proper weights, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction with your care. Good job
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHarps View Post
    Thanks for the updates and the info! I don't know much about proper weights, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction with your care. Good job
    Yea, no problem and your welcome. Thank you for your help. I want to do things right and give this little fella the best life possible. Hes amazing and already has a special place in my heart <3

Just a while ago, Skul (one of our flyering squirrel experts) posted the weeks to weight ratio of flying squirrels. Hope these help.

Baby Flyer weights and age.docx
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12