Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a question about eastern gray squirrel

Default I have a question about eastern gray squirrel

I have found a baby squirrel about a month ago soon about to be 2months .he climb down the tree and climb up on me when I seen him do that I said he probably needs help or he lost his way back home or he lost his mom.i noticed he was under weight and smaller then the other squirrel that lives around my home.he been eating well he was really active up to yesterday that he didnt move his back legs like if he was paralyzed in my watch he never fell down or hurt himself. He been eating fruits , veggies , nuts ..but the day before yesterday I gave him peanuts for a treat. Now I have him bundle up on a smooth surface up to he recovers . I emailed some wildlife vet just waiting on there response.. dont like seen patriot like that.. what you guys recommend need a little help.. bc my plans where to get him stable for he could be release. But like this little issue came up im willing to care for him .. thank you for your time guys hopefully I hear from some one.

Default Re: I have a question about eastern gray squirrel

If he;s not inside, get him there. Put him half on a heating pad set on low. His diet is all wrong. It sounds like he's suffering MBD which needs correction immediately. See below:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Disease-(MBD)

Ooh ok thank you so much will get on this right now ..again thanx for responding FARRELLI

Is he young enough to still be on formula? If so, see here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ilk-Formula***

Make sure he's warm and hydrated first as food too soon can hurt.

If he's old enough for solids, fruit and nuts are TREATS ONLY. You will need to get rodent blocks. Katee Forti-Diet and Mazuri are, I think common in pet stores. You will probably want to order Henry's ASAP:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-b...rowth-formula/

Here is a link to a healthy diet:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Revised-2-13)

However, for not get going with the MBD treatment. His life is in jeopardy.

Im thinking hes less then a year old I put up some pictures for people to se him he so adorable ..it kills me seen him like this..but I will definitely going with the formula ingredients. Im go to the pet store to buy the blocks that you tolfme to purchase

Have you started the MBD treatment yet? You can also use a human calcium supplement but without vitamin D, at least for anything after the first dose. Too much D is a problem.

Yes right now im walking to the pharmacy to buy me a calcium bottle with out vitamin d .. now after I have given him that do I feed him the formula ..bc I order tge henrys blocks

Yes, feed the formula. He looks like he might be at the transition point where he might start preferring solids, so if you can get the cheaper blocks from a pet store in the interim that might be great. The formula can be fed with a 3cc syringe (the pharmacy will probably give you one for free if you say what it's for) or he might be to the point where he prefers a shallow dish. From now on though, no peanuts or corn because they're high in phosphorous which blocks calcium absorption.

Ok thank you so much I appreciate you for explaining the care for Patriot ..

How long do I give this treatment and formula just want to make sure ..farrelli

The protocol I linked to should say how long to go. It's based on a Tums which is 500mg I think, so you will have to customize to yourself. Also, this is just for the acute phase of MBD, after that some additional calcium each day would be good. He needs to rebuild his bones over a long period, especially because he's young.

Is he taking the treatment without problem?

Have you tried the formula yet? You might hold back a bit on the cream until he's used to the GM and yogurt. It can cause loose stools in the beginning. Also, you should freeze the GM, maybe in an ice cube tray, and take as needed. It goes bad really fast.

Is he on heat? MBD can cause sore bones.

Oh, and limit his activity for awhile as those bones will be fragile.

Oh, and remember, as the protocol says, the dosage per day is supposed to be spread out through the day, a bit at a time so as to keep blood calcium levels up.

Oh, btw, is is MUCH less than a year old. Probably 11-12 weeks, though I'm not great at guessing age when they're a little older.

Yes im doing what you recommend me and he is taking it like a champ I brought the goat milk , calcium pill 600 and the heavy whipped cream and also the yogurt

Good. Let us know how it goes with the feeding. If he doesn't like the syringe, before you go to the dish, you can try putting some molasses on the tip to get him interested. Other syrups will work too, but molasses has calcium and other goodies in it.

I sure will ...I gave him a little of the calcium and formula struggled a little with the formula but he sure is drinking the calcium

You could sweeten the formula a touch for now to get him interested. Have you picked up any of the squirrel blocks? He's at a stage where you never know which way he'll go, solids or liquid.

Also, let us know how bad the paralysis is and how he responds, if it gets any better. You should see results sometime between very quickly to a couple days or more, but usually sooner.

I'm anxious to get either formula or blocks into him because calcium needs magnesium and D-3 to be absorbed an those have that. But like I said, too much D is bad. A small one time dose is OK though.

Hi farrelli

Yes im giving him the calcium by portion .. the formula its a little struggle but he eventually drink it I order the henry blocks bc the petshop by my house dont carry that product it should arrive my home on tuesday ... but right now im giving him the formula and calcium that you guided me to ... I see hes trying to move but no movement yet on his back legs ... I caught him this morning dragging around his home that I purchased for him ...but im really ontop with the treatment and formula.. while I wait for the blocks to arrive you think I should give him iceberg lettuce to see if he will eat that ... bc when I used to give him that he loved it ...

He might be thirsty if he's loving the lettuce, but it doesn't have really any nutritional value. Perhaps try other kinds too? You can also try feeding plain vanilla yogurt, or better, Ensure (the human stuff, vanailla or pecan flavor) or NutraCal, which is found in pet stores. Both packed with nutrients.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast