Thread: Any Suggestions?

Jane Guest

Default Any Suggestions?

I'm new to this. I have around 6 squirrels that hang around my backyard. They like to eat at the birdfeeder and I put out squirrel food and peanuts for them. They don't eat from my hand or anything like that. Several weeks ago I notice one of them not looking so good. At first I thought it was mange from mites but after researching came to the conclusion that it was not only mange but pox also. I found this board and right away starting doing the things I read about like fresh water everyday, healthier foods, echinacea, etc. Fortunately the pox seems to have dried up and about 10 days ago I was able to trap him, apply a small doze of kitten revolution, and release him. I do worry about him because he's missing alot of fur and it's getting cold here in Ohio. Also he is thinner than the others. He eats well and is quite active. I spoke with my cat's vet about it and he suggested I trap him again in a couple weeks and give a 2nd dose of revolution. If anyone has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it, especially regarding how to beef up his weight. The first photo below is Oct. 2, then Oct. 8, and last is today. Thank you.Name:  SQ1a.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  925.8 KBName:  IMG_2324.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  1.12 MBName:  Oct19a.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  895.7 KB

Default Re: Any Suggestions?

Good job! You most likely saved this little one's life.
    I would definitely try to get the second dose of Revolution on him if you can. In the meantime, alleviating the stress of finding food and fresh water by always having it available for him is the best thing you can do. I don't recommend taking these wilds with pox indoors -- the stress caused by captivity can make the pox far worse than it had to be.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Poor little guy. It does appear to be getting better, the pox drying out and less red looking. Bless you for caring and your timely help to this squirrel.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Thumbs up Re: Any Suggestions?

THANK YOU for helping this one as he would have died if not for your intervention Try giving him some avocado (NO SKIN OR PIT) just the meat, it is good for them but fattens them up which should be to his advantage
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY, YOU MIGHT TRY PUTTING UP A NEST BOX FOR HIM NEAR (BUT NOT TOO NEAR) THE FEEDING AREA SO THAT YOU CAN KEEP AN EYE ON HIM. ALSO KEEP GIVING THE ECHINACEA WATER DAILY OR, EVEN BETTER, TRY THE LIQUID IMMUNE BARRIER FROM CAOH http://www.caoh.org/liqimbarecbe.html AS INDICATED IN THE THREAD IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THIS ONE. I'M SURE THAT YOU'VE SEEN IT. GOOD JOB WITH HIM!!!
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

Jane Guest

A photo from today. I call him "Rocky" because he fought so hard. I just love the little guy! This board has been a wonderful source of help. Thank you.

Name:  IMG_2395.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.24 MB

Rocky looks sooo much better thanks to your love and care!

It looks like the Pox is virtually gone and if you can treat him a second time for the mange than he can start to regrow his hair. What a fighter!

I second the notion to make healthy food and immune booster treated water easily available to him! As was mentioned, a nearby nest box would be nice. I also wonder about placing some handfuls of polyfill (pillow stuffing) near his food, he might take it back to his nest and it would help him to stay warm.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Jane Guest

I will be giving him a second dose of Revolution next week. I just received my order of CAOH immune booster so I will start putting that in his water. A friend gave me a nest box and I will get some of the polyfill. I am very happy not to see any of the other squirrels showing any signs of the pox. That is one horrible disease!

YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO TRY GIVING HIM A DAB OF NUTRI CAL EVERY DAY. IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT...IT'S A VITAMIN GEL IN A TUBE. THERE IS A DOG, CAT AND, I BELIEVE, A PUPPY VERSION, AVAILABLE AT PET STORES. (I HAVE USED THE DOG VERSION.) MOST SQS LIKE THE TASTE OF IT AND YOU CAN JUST LOAD IT ONTO A PECAN HALF...ABOUT A PEA SIZED DAB. IT'S FULL OF VITAMINS AND WILL HELP WITH REGROWTH OF FUR AMONG OTHER HEALTHY BENEFITS. LATEST PIC LOOKS GREAT!!!
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

You might be "new to this" but you sure are a blessing to Rocky!
    He looks so much better from the first pic. Thank you for going the extra mile!.
    He is alive today due to your intervention.
    And.... to TSB!

Wow! Rocky looks a lot better. He was lucky to have you there to help him.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.