Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! How do I put my squirrel on a diet? Why is he sleeping so much?

Default Re: Help! How do I put my squirrel on a diet? Why is he sleeping so much?

Aw thank you! I believe he is a boy…well that's what I was told anyway. I'll check out her story! Thank you!

I'll post any positive updates! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...hlight=Charlie
    Here is a link to Charlie's thread. It is a very similar story to yours. Charlie worries her Mom and Dad all the time. Being owned by a squirrel isn't for the faint of heart.

The pics of Betel are adorable. By the way, are you sure Betel is a boy? The picture of him on the candy jars didn't show any obvious 'hardware' that would make me think Betel is a boy. It is a VERY common issue here. How do you think Charlie the new mom got her name? Oh and there is Moose ... yes another girl.

I'll be thinkin' about you tomorrow. I don't think you need to be out there at 4AM though. That's too early for even the squirrels. I'd be out there by at least 7 AM shaking that chip bag. Good luck to you! Good night.

Default Re: Help! How do I put my squirrel on a diet? Why is he sleeping so much?

Prayers are so awesome! That means a lot. You're right the weather here lately has been beautiful. It's so true when I would first let him out he would be in the trees eating his acorns and couldnt be bothered but when he was ready he would come down and I just have to trust this time will be no different. Thank you for your kind words. I love knowing he won't forget his mommy. That warms my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by sdreamcatcher View Post
    The wilds here are up at first light, just before sunset (the early birds are anyway, lol). I have been following along and am sad to hear Betel Nut is M.I.A.. My babies were released in another town and I get regular updates and we both get anxious when one or another doesn't show up, then there they are, expecting their nut like nothing is wrong . I will pray for Betel Nut to return tomorrow . Two weeks of running and playing there is a good chance part of that was exploring and checking out nesting possibilities (they tend to have more then one nest). Being in the climate you are in is another plus; here it is so cold at night. Plus lots of nut trees; lol come to think of it, did you really think you could compete with nut trees ?? I can picture you shaking a can of nuts and Betel Nut in one of those oaks, nibbling on an acorn, thinking "yeah, right!" But the time will come when he wants his Mommy and because of your bond he won't forget you

That's really interesting because the first week or so I released Betel he just stayed close and he didn't hang in the trees too much. He seemed to sit on the fence or climb in the bushes. On my side porch he was always happy just being in the plants. I did what you suggested too. Id sit outside and read, and after a few hours he would just come down from where every he was and jump on me and we would go back inside.
    Aw, I love that your little one sleeps in your bed too! Betel used to do that.
    It's so true I always would have trouble seeing him in the trees. I would just look for the acorn shells dropping and I knew right where he was. Hearing all these stories makes me feel so good. You have to be a very patient and special person to for squirrels and everyone here has shown just that. Ah, I am going to go to bed with much better thoughts. I look forward to hearing more about everyone's little ones and to share an update on Betel. Sweet dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I released a squirrel alittle over 2 years ago and she did not like the outdoors....I waited all summer 2 1/2 mos. and when she did not seem to be adapting I brought her in and she is very happy she sleeps in our bed
    Sometimes she would be in the trees freaked out...they blend in so well you'll never see them unless they move...anyway I'd call her and bring out some food...she responded to the nuts tapping together like SR&BT suggested....then I just sit quietly reading or just looking around enjoying nature and then she'd finally calm down enough and come down you could try that... sometimes when we're walking around calling they never calm down enough to come to us....they're very cautious in the wild....

I just released 3 at the end of Aug. and one Sweet P has stayed and comes to the porch to eat every morning and every evening....sometimes when I call her she takes a while and I just sit on the porch and all the sudden she's there

Try not to worry I know easier said than done (I'm a worry wart from way back) but take heart one member released her squirrel Meemor and he disappeared for three mos. in the wilds of the Great North and he still found his way back home

Glad you're finding comfort and support here TSB is the best Get your rest and we'll all be hoping for Betel Nut to show up tomorrow or soon
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Don't despair Betel Mom! It hasn't been that long. Really.

YOU ARE TOO AWESOME!!! How ironic, I just walked inside my house from walking around the block calling him again. My neighbor came over and asked if I had found him yet. LOL He said he heard AND saw me walking around the neighborhood at 5 am with a flash light calling him. SO EMBARRASSING. Now they know I am the crazy squirrel lady for sure. I knew it was too early but I couldn't sleep I live on the corner of a busy road so even at 7 am the noise of the cars makes it a little difficult. Obviously it didn't work out too well- no Betel . I ended up having 3 cats follow me and I heard something in the trees and as I used my flash light to look up there was a HUGE owl. I was like W.T.H. I can't get a break. An owl and 3 cats is not the company I need when I am trying to find my Betel. Having all of you has made this process a little less painful and you always seem to send me a message right when I need it. I am so grateful. :wott
    Tonight will make the 3rd night if he doesn't come home. I am just trying to be positive. I guess I am just wondering how long I should keep walking around calling his name . I keep worrying about my little guy but knowing I am not the only person who has experienced this makes me feel a ton better.

You for sure are not alone and think positive...tonight might be the night he peeks in heck this morning he may have been watching from the trees "quiet as a squirrel" who sees an owl

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Oh my! 3 cats and an owl That's down right ridiculous.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you but quite the contrary, I want to encourage to NOT give up hope. Sassysquirrel's Sassy went missing and returned home a year later. Other's have returned in days, weeks and months later. There have been some happy days of rejoicing when a lost little prodigal returns home after a few days or even months away. We will keep the faith!

Just curious, what part of Tampa are you in. By the way, yes, the neighbors are beginning to talk.

Betel Mom, you might need to buy one of these to show the police when they get the complaint about a person in a black hoodie stalking the darkness with a flashlight. It will explain a lot.

http://www.cafepress.com/+crazy_squi...dark,589261302

Betel Mom, you might need to buy one of these to show the police when they get the complaint about a person in a black hoodie stalking the darkness with a flashlight. It will explain a lot.

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

OH MY GOSH THAT IS HILARIOUS! I have legitimately become cRaZy Squirrel Lady. Thank you so much for sharing, I needed that!

You are so right on. I start feeling really good and than Ill come across something he nibbled on or find a peanut that he hid in the house and my heart will just ache. It's all for selfish reasons of course. He is where he needs to be. I do worry of course though. That he's ok, that he's not scared, that he's finding food (which there is plenty of acorns around) but water. I worry he's getting bullied and he's roaming around alone. It's just ridiculous. I am in purgatory. I have this constant battle in my head. I have to continue on with my life and keep busy so I try to be productive with my day and than I want to hurry home to see if he's there or to make sure I don't miss him if he shows up and then I come home and feel sad. Ugh, lol my life is going down the ****ter. Truthfully, inside I have this feeling he will be back, but than doubt creeps in and worries me. I get so sad because my phone is filled with pictures and videos of him and I can't even look at them. When people ask about him I get so broken up. I have had plenty of animals in my life and I never have become so attached the way I have to this little guy He just came in my life at a time I really needed him. So I am grateful for that. I need to relax and stop being so selfish.

Anyway, I live in South Tampa. Are you located in Florida too? Do you have any squirrels right now yourself? How long have you been in the squirrel game? lol

Oh my! 3 cats and an owl That's down right ridiculous.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you but quite the contrary, I want to encourage to NOT give up hope. Sassysquirrel's Sassy went missing and returned home a year later. Other's have returned in days, weeks and months later. There have been some happy days of rejoicing when a lost little prodigal returns home after a few days or even months away. We will keep the faith!

Just curious, what part of Tampa are you in. By the way, yes, the neighbors are beginning to talk.

I know your heart and mind is in total chaos at this point. Really, it's normal and to be expected. It's impossible to love a tiny soul like Betel and NOT be devastated by this development. Even now, in the fire, I want you to keep the faith and expect Betel to come home. I am absolutely serious that it happens ALL the time. Ask pappy1264. About once a month she is agonizing because her stinkers will disappear and then just show up, but not before she is in deepest despair.

When you said you live in South Tampa I almost fell over. The original, ultimate, supreme Crazy Squirrel Lady of this board lives in South Tampa near the AFB. She is Jackie in Tampa. If you live close to her, I would say the Betel is at Squirrel Central right now. She is the ultimate squirrel whisperer. NO KIDDING!
    She has raised more squirrels than you can even imagine. She can practically breath life into a dead squirrel. You know we all have our talents but Jackie's gift is clearly squirrels. Heck, I would guess that Betel is probably progeny of one she raised.

I live in the same county as you. I live about 20 miles from you. If you look on the right side of my post opposite from my avatar you will see that I live in Lithia, FL. (SE Hillsborough County). In terms of this world-wide board we are practically neighbors. I have 2 flying squirrels. One, my first, I adopted from Jackie. They have threads in the flying squirrel section (Bonzai and Tucker). The crazy squirrel gig started for me about 2 years ago. My mom found 2 baby squirrels in her yard on the ground. Unfortunately, neither one of them survived my total lack of experience. I really never got over it. I grieved deeply for about 2 months and then I found TheSquirrelBoard. Over the past 2 years, I have learned enough to do it right. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I have been unable to take in babies. I have received babies on 3 occasions but Jackie has been kind enough to take them and help me out. Oh, I guess I better warn you now, when people you know are aware of your squirrel passion, YOU WILL GET SQUIRRELS IN THE FUTURE. Trust me, it WILL happen. We won't worry about that now. For now we will concentrate our energy on Betel's safe return. If you would like to put up a nest box in your yard, I can help you out with that. I actually just bought 2 more great nest boxes. I haven't even taken them out of the shipping box yet. If you want one, we can work it out and get a box up for you. In the mean time, KEEP THE FAITH! Patti

Default I am so Blessed! How the Betel got his name

I HAVE TO BE THEE MOST BLESSED PERSON ALIVE! Wow, I just read your post and I couldn't read fast enough or even type fast enough I was so excited to respond back. I feel soooooo much better! You are right, he will be ok. It is incredible the out-pour of love, support, and prayers my little Betel has gotten. My neighbors are so sweet they call me all the time when they think they saw him (lol). They feed all the neighborhood squirrels and have little squirrel statues in their yard.

Apparently, the other neighbors have rescued a baby squirrel before too, and from what I understand this is the squirrel mecca. I just moved to this neighborhood but it seems to be prime squirrel territory. I continue to walk up and down my block meeting my neighbors so it's actually turned out to be really fun. This SB has been my saving grace and all your wonderful sweet words of encouragement have kept me from breaking down.

Ok….so SERIOUSLY….HOW INSANE is the irony of Jack in Tampa and you in Lithia?!?! I am elated! I have to reach out to her. I don't live far from the AFB either! I'm just so overwhelmed right now. My heart feels so good! I can not believe how awesome this all is. I am so happy the Squirrel Whisperer only lives a few miles away, and you just the same. I already feel more at ease.

I am so sorry about the loss of your first two squirrels. I can only imagine the utter despair. Having baby squirrels is a lot of work. I know my life practically (rather it did) revolved around Betel Nut when he was little and actually did until he left. That's so cool Jackie was able to help you out with that too. As I was walking a few minutes ago a neighbor shared with me about a friend finding a baby squirrel and I immediately was offering unsolicited squirrel advice lol.

It would be uh-mazing to have a squirrel box and set it up in the yard. I would love to talk to you further about it and get your help. I will PM you with my phone 2 number. AHHHH….hooray. :wott

On a completely unrelated note, here is a picture of my boyfriend's tattoo that he got months ago of our little Betel Nut. Around the tattoo of the squirrel isn't acorns either. They are Betel Nuts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_nut
    People probably wonder why I spell Betel B-E-T-E-L instead of B-E-A-T-L-E. Lol it's not because I am illiterate. He's actually named after a real nut. His original name was "Squirt" and he earned his name one day while we were watching the show, Survivor Man (reality show). http://lesstroud.ca/survivorman/home.php The gentleman in the show was doing a series on indigenous tribes. Throughout each episode he was kind of forced to eat Betel Nuts (which is part of the culture and tradition of these tribes). However, Betel Nuts are also a hallucinogenic and make you kind of loopy when eaten. Sooooo….to make a long story even longer, Squirt (at the time) was acting like he had just eaten a few Betel Nuts himself and we started calling him Betel Nut and the name stuck. He would always get cRaZY over any kind of nuts, since at the time we limited his nut consummation to make sure he had a balanced diet. Anyway, we shortened it to Betel most of the time. He was Baby Betel then as he got older he became Mr. Betel. Now he is just THE BETEL. We are not condoning the use of Betel Nuts it was just fitting for the situation and how crazy this has all became.
    So that's the story of how The Betel got his name.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  645.9 KB

I know your heart and mind is in total chaos at this point. Really, it's normal and to be expected. It's impossible to love a tiny soul like Betel and NOT be devastated by this development. Even now, in the fire, I want you to keep the faith and expect Betel to come home. I am absolutely serious that it happens ALL the time. Ask pappy1264. About once a month she is agonizing because her stinkers will disappear and then just show up, but not before she is in deepest despair.

When you said you live in South Tampa I almost fell over. The original, ultimate, supreme Crazy Squirrel Lady of this board lives in South Tampa near the AFB. She is Jackie in Tampa. If you live close to her, I would say the Betel is at Squirrel Central right now. She is the ultimate squirrel whisperer. NO KIDDING!
    She has raised more squirrels than you can even imagine. She can practically breath life into a dead squirrel. You know we all have our talents but Jackie's gift is clearly squirrels. Heck, I would guess that Betel is probably progeny of one she raised.

I live in the same county as you. I live about 20 miles from you. If you look on the right side of my post opposite from my avatar you will see that I live in Lithia, FL. (SE Hillsborough County). In terms of this world-wide board we are practically neighbors. I have 2 flying squirrels. One, my first, I adopted from Jackie. They have threads in the flying squirrel section (Bonzai and Tucker). The crazy squirrel gig started for me about 2 years ago. My mom found 2 baby squirrels in her yard on the ground. Unfortunately, neither one of them survived my total lack of experience. I really never got over it. I grieved deeply for about 2 months and then I found TheSquirrelBoard. Over the past 2 years, I have learned enough to do it right. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I have been unable to take in babies. I have received babies on 3 occasions but Jackie has been kind enough to take them and help me out. Oh, I guess I better warn you now, when people you know are aware of your squirrel passion, YOU WILL GET SQUIRRELS IN THE FUTURE. Trust me, it WILL happen. We won't worry about that now. For now we will concentrate our energy on Betel's safe return. If you would like to put up a nest box in your yard, I can help you out with that. I actually just bought 2 more great nest boxes. I haven't even taken them out of the shipping box yet. If you want one, we can work it out and get a box up for you. In the mean time, KEEP THE FAITH! Patti

Betel Mom
    Thanks for the story about how Betel got his name. I WAS curious as I have never heard of Betel nuts. The closest thing to an illicit (hallucinogenic) compound that I have encountered is probably NyQuil.

I have to ask! Are you sure Betel is a boy? The latest pic looks just like a girl. Little boy squirrels have a penis up higher on their belly, just like a boy puppy. I sure don't see an 'hardware' on that cute belly shot.

Tell the BF that's a great tat. Yeah, I can tell, you guys are squirrelly!

I'll give you a call.

Default THE BETEL NUT IS BACK HOME! Thank you for all your prayers, they worked!

The most incredible thing has happened! My Betel is home!!! Over the last 6 days I have been in complete agony as my best little buddy didn't come home one day. He has been venturing out for about 12 days and one afternoon he didn't return. I was in complete turmoil but everyone here kept giving me such wonderful words of encouragement. Although I was so worried I kept the faith. I prayed and prayed and with the help of everyone here I told myself that if he wants to be back home he will return. So for 6 days I would leave my side patio door slightly open, I would call tinfoil his name and walk around the block. Than this morning I went in my back yard and sat outside under the trees and prayed and meditated and I thanked God for bringing the Betel in my life and all the lessons he had taught me. I let go of wanting to try and control the outcome and instead just started thinking about all the good things in my life. I wrote a gratitude list went inside and continued on with my morning. I knew I had to keep going no matter what happened. So as my boyfriend left to go to work he walked outside to the garage and he heard a noise, he turned around and there was the BETEL! He was on a box of clothes I had out in the garage. I opened the garage door this morning to go for a run and instead of going for a run I got distracted and started doing things around the house. Had I left for my run the garage door wouldn't have been open and had my boyfriend not left at that time I probably wouldn't have gone in the garage anytime soon and even known he was there. My point is, as soon as I let go and let God and trusted what was suppose to happen he came come. I am so grateful and my heart is so full!
    He is very skinny, he could afford to have lost a little weight but he is definitely much skinner. He has been eating, but mostly just exploring around the house. He seems happy to be home, and he looks tired. I am not sure what the next step is. I know he probably needs to sleep (when he is ready). His nest is still right where he left it. So for now I am going to just let him be. I am definitely going to be putting a squirrel box in my front lawn, so possibly the other squirrels will allow him to stay close if he decides to leave again. I am so happy words can't describe but I had to post this to thank everyone for all the kind words and prayers. I will be posting some pictures soon and if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know! Thank you again and again.

So glad to hear Betel made an appearance. I released 3 this year and one hangs around daily for treats and the other two hit the woods and weren't seen until yesterday when Maple showed up and bummed treats and skritches. So glad to see her and she "whispered" in my ear right before she headed back to the woods. I hope she keeps coming back for visits but I am happy she's adjusting to being an outside squirrel too.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

I am absolutely thrilled by your good news. The Betel is home and Betel Mom is happy again!

Yep, let's get that boy a nest box up so he has an outside home also. Oh happy day, what great news!!!!!

Betel is home

You seriously don't know HOW MUCH TSB needs this good news today.

:wott
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast