Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think that my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion what can I for her?

sissy's mama Guest

Default I think that my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion what can I for her?

My female squirrel fell 2 days ago, I believe she may have hit her head, she off balance when she walks, and just curls up and wants to sleep, not eating very well, drinking sweet tea, and some water. What can I do to help her?? This is breaking my heart, she's such a sweet little girl..

Default Re: I think that my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion what can I for h

Can you tell us what her diet is? How much is she eating currently? Do you have access to a vet? What city are you in in case we have a rehaber in the area who could take a look?

Also, how old is she and what is her history?

Default Re: I think that my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion what can I for h

Is she captive? If not can you take her in?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Do you have a vet who will see her? Sometimes the swelling from brain injuries can be quickly brought down with an injection of dexamethazone , a steroid. Sooner is better than waiting - 2 days ago would have been best, but I would beg my vet to do it today if I were you.

Second option is oral prednisone. This is also a steroid med that is very commonly used for humans - for a myriad of things. If you can find some prednisone we would need the weight of the squirrel and the size of the prednisone pill in milligrams and could give you instruction in breaking the pill down (diluting it properly) and dosing.

If you have had her as a pet; MBD treatment may be helpful. She could have fallen as a result of MBD:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Disease-(MBD)

Others here have given great info on medications to help with possible brain swelling/injury....
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

sissy's mama Guest

Default I believe my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion....what can I for her?

Hi critter mom, the weight of my 3 year old squirrel is 583.00 grams at this time, and I do have prednisone, they are 10 mg tabs, please let me know how much I can give her as soon as possible. Thank you:

Default Re: I believe my 3 year old female squirrel may have a concussion....what can I for h

This is a continuation of the other thread:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-can-I-for-her

I'm going to try to get them merged. However, please tell us the diet. We don't want to prescribe for the wrong issue.

This thread is continued here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-can-I-for-her

I've asked for them to be merged.

We still need to know diet and history so that we can prescribe correctly.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

checking her pupils to see if they are the same size as one another or are overly large..how they respond to light etc..
    thinking this would be easiest way to detect a concussion accompanied by the symptoms you are already seeing...

I have had sqs with concussion..
    we used meloxicam/metacam as anti inflammatory on willie
    others are touching good ideas about diet etc...

The threads are merged now.
    Thank you farrelli.

Quote Originally Posted by sissy's mama View Post
    My female squirrel fell 2 days ago, I believe she may have hit her head, she off balance when she walks, and just curls up and wants to sleep, not eating very well, drinking sweet tea, and some water. What can I do to help her?? This is breaking my heart, she's such a sweet little girl..

Since you are only assuming that she hit her head, she may be acting like this due to her diet.
    Please tell us exactly what her diet is, this way we can omit or consider the possibility of MBD.
    Did you see the fall happen?

Nancy, did you email her by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Nancy, did you email her by any chance?

Yes, just now. I told her that we are trying to figure this out.

sissy's mama Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Can you tell us what her diet is? How much is she eating currently? Do you have access to a vet? What city are you in in case we have a rehaber in the area who could take a look?

Also, how old is she and what is her history?
    Hi Critter Mom, farrelli, and Nancy in new york..
    Her diet, is pecans, pnuts, hickory nuts brocoll apples, crackers she drinks sweet tea, lots of water, currently she doesn't want to eat anything, yesterday she ate a small piece of apple, has drank a small amount of water and tea today, haven't checked her pupils, will do that now, when she was about 3 months old she had low calcium vet put her on calcium tablets, and hasn't had any problem since then, she has been seen by by a vet to have teeth trimmed, she weighs 583.00 grams, I do have prednisone10 mg tabs. Please let me know more, thank you Critter Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sissy's mama View Post
    Hi Critter Mom, farrelli, and Nancy in new york..
    Her diet, is pecans, pnuts, hickory nuts brocoll apples, crackers she drinks sweet tea, lots of water, currently she doesn't want to eat anything, yesterday she ate a small piece of apple, has drank a small amount of water and tea today, haven't checked her pupils, will do that now, when she was about 3 months old she had low calcium vet put her on calcium tablets, and hasn't had any problem since then, she has been seen by by a vet to have teeth trimmed, she weighs 583.00 grams, I do have prednisone10 mg tabs. Please let me know more, thank you Critter Mom
    Is she still on the calcium tablets?
    Her diet has way too many nuts in it, and
    it really needs a lot of tweaking.
    You have to get her on a healthy diet.
    The first signs of MBD is lethargy, falls,and sometimes
    seizures.
    I would suggest getting her to start with the MBD protocol immediately.
    MBD can be deadly and when they start showing signs, that can be extremely
    worrisome as squirrels can mask problems so easily.
    Start her on this NOW, read it and start it.
    We will discuss diet later, for now start this, it could save her life.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-MBD-Treatment

Is she still on the calcium pills? If so, how much? That diet is a recipe for MBD. It will need to be corrected immediately, however, for now, if she isn't on the pills anymore or on much of them, you will need to start the emergency MBD treatment outlined below IMMEDIATELY, as in NOW.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Disease-(MBD)

You can also rub some molasses on her gums to try to perk her up if she's too lethargic to take the MBD treatment.

Are you giving her any kind of squirrel block?

Here is the diet we recommend. Worry about this later,
    get the calcium into her now.
    Did you actually see her fall?

If you get Henry's Blocks, that is the majority of their diet.
    Get the picky blocks if this is the blocks you choose.
    Once she starts eating these, then I would switch to the Adult
    Blocks. She is so used to nuts and these actually have a few more
    nuts in them, along with all the vit. and nutrition she needs. Two a
    day is the recommendation.

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

**Other rodent blocks may also be offered. Some examples of these are;
    *Mazuri Rat and Mouse Blocks
    *KayTee FortiDiet- rat, mouse and hamster blocks(blue bag)
    *Harland Tekland 2014

sissy's mama Guest

Yes I saw her fall and heard a little thud on table where she fell, not on calcium now, but am getting calcium ready now to give her, not on any kind of squirrel block,

MBD can cause them to fall - they aren't as strong as they think they are and they can miss. This sounds like 2 problems - a head strike and MBD. I would start treatment right away. What are you using for calcium and how much are you giving? Our recommendations for an adult gray are to start at 500mg per day spaced through the day in multiple doses, not all at once. That amount is then ramped down very slowly, but you need to also add in a complete food that will provide the normal calcium they need. I would go to www.henryspets.com and purchase either a bag of the Picky Blocks or even better, the MBD Kit which has those blocks plus calcium, and other items.

I agree with everyone above that this may be the onset of MBD and she fell because of it -- and is lethargic because of it. I'll just chime in and encourage you to get her on the MBD protocol ASAP, and stick with it, and you can turn this little girl around. Lay off the nuts until she's normal again -- and after that, only one or two as a treat.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.