Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question about Homemade HHB'S

Default Re: Question about Homemade HHB'S

I have found that when Churtle turns up his nose and won't eat it, if I offer it again in a couple of weeks, he eats it like it is his favorite!
    I wonder if the palm nuts were roasted if they would taste better?
    I serve only raw vegetables, and have tasted most of them, and they are bitter, but I figure they would be raw if he was raiding someones vegetable garden, , so thats how I serve them.

I would just try offering new/old things he has refused, and see if he will eat them. Maybe offer him nuts that are shelled, cause maybe his wee little teeth can't get through a shell.

Stosh said the same thing, about trying again with things that have been rejected before, so I'll try all the nuts again. I do give him the occasional dried mung bean as a treat. He loved those at first but ignores them now. Maybe they are just like us, and have "food moods".

The trees are here so laden with mangoes now that the branches are pointing at the ground. The wilds grab one, munch on it for 2 minutes, then drop it and find another one. The jackfruit are less numerous but as big as my head. I don't think there are any squirrels going hungry here this season.
    Naiki the plantain squirrel from Bali

I was thinking of the nuts or seeds to firm the HHBs up . I think if you use fruit instead of nuts, it might be to " mushy ". But ask Leigh from Henrys, shes the expert.
    It sounds deliciously exotix there, and I am envious!

Quote Originally Posted by czarina View Post
    I was thinking of the nuts or seeds to firm the HHBs up . I think if you use fruit instead of nuts, it might be to " mushy ". But ask Leigh from Henrys, shes the expert.
    It sounds deliciously exotix there, and I am envious!
    You need to be careful what you add to the mix - the recipe has been calculated to deliver specific calcium : phosphorus ratios and your add-ins can skew that dramatically.

Adding sesame seeds would be a GOOD choice - sesame seeds have an excellent ratio. Sunflowe seeds, pumpkin seeds - those would be very bad because of THEIR ratios.

Also beware of flax seed - it is very trendy now and has many, many good benefits...but if you are severely LOW in phosphorus you would be told to eat flax seed - it is one of the highest natural concentrations of phosphorus. You can see how adding THAT would be bad.

I don't think I can make HHBs themselves without an oven. When I bought the vitamins and protein Leigh was saying I could just use Naiki's regular fruit and veg diet (which is pretty well balanced) as a vehicle for the important ingredients. I'll get more info from her soon and in the meantime I think I can mash his usual papaya staple to add them.

It has to be mashed and well mixed because as I found out when trying to give him calcium supplement he's very adept at removing the outside bits of fruit with supplements dusted on it and only eating the inside. Too sneaky!

Do you have avocados there? Squirrels usually love them and they could easily be mashed up with vitamins.

Yes, lots of avocados. I tried it once and he wasn't interested, but I'll try again. He's gotten fussier as he has gotten older but thankfully he doesn't get tired of oranges, papaya, pineapple and Chinese cabbage, which are his staples, along with the bark I collect from the garden.

I still make the original squirrel blocks and it had potassium gluconate, I used 2 vitamins and I was told to use folic acid 3 vitamins too, so if I am using the newer version recipe do I not need to use either of these being there not listed?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.