Thread: My dog got a juvenile squirrel

Default My dog got a juvenile squirrel

I'll try to keep this story short.

My dog grabbed a small fox squirrel on Friday afternoon. The squirrel got away and I got the dog in the house, but the squirrel stayed around, and had climbed about 3 feet up a tree. I went back out to him, sat on a log about 20 feet away, and he ran right over to me. Climbing on me and acting very tame.

The dog didn't break any bones, and there was no puncture wounds. He seemed ok, just cold and scared. I was his new friend. He followed me out of the woods.

Long story short, he's in a good sized cage, with a heating pad. Saturday, I started feeding him formula (1 part esilbac powder, 2 parts water, 1/4 part whipping cream.) he was wary at first, but started taking it quickly as further feedings occurred. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm a bit worried that he aspirated milk from the nose a couple times yesterday, but he sniffed it out, shook his head a little, and dove right back on the bottle.

This morning, I was up about 30 min after sunrise, he was clinging to the side of the cage and happy. I opened the cage and he ran right over to me. Nom nom nom on the bottle, and back in the cage.

Here's my problem, he seems to have a problem with his right eye. This morning it was shut with what appeared to be some crusting. It started to open up by the time I took pics:

Yesterday's pics

Pic showing the eye, sorry it's blurry, I'll try for better ones later:

Any thoughts?

Side note - WHERE DO I FIND ANSWERS TO THE "random question"?!?!! Funny, I grew up thinking Rocky was a flying squirrel?!

Default Re: My dog got a juvenile squirrel

Might his eye have been scratched by the dog's teeth? Does there appear to be any wound around the eye? I will try to direct others who are more knowledgeable to this thread.
    Is the Esbilac that you are feeding, the powder and does it say "with probiotics" on the container?
    By the way...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Hard to tell if it was the dog, I don't see any open wounds, just crusting and swollen, like when people get an infection.

I'll have to check the powder when I get home for lunch, I was sure to get the powder, and not the liquid. Since I read that that was what to use on my initial web searches, and we needed something quickly, I grabbed the only esilbac powder on the shelf at Petsmart.

Esbilac was the "go to" formula for a very long time. Then a while back they changed the formula and it caused many intestinal issues. They have now, seemingly, reformulated again and added probiotics and it is being used with much success. It is just important to get the one that says probiotics on the can so you know it is the new formulation.
    I started a thread sending people here to help with eye issue in your area.

Get a syringe from your local drug store to feed him with, the bottles will cause them to aspirate formula.
    For the eye, just gentle wipe with warm water on a cotton ball.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

It looks like the can does not say anything about probiotics. I'll look closer again this afternoon. He should be on formula only another 2-3 weeks before weaning starts, so is there a good chance I will be fine with this? He seems to be peeing fine, and I'll need to clean the cage to look for poo. I think I saw a little, but it seemed way too small and black, I was assuming it was dirt.

I went to take better pics of the eye, but when he came out for lunch, it was hard to tell anything was wrong. Comparing the two eyes, you could tell, but he seems a lot better. Might just be worse in the morning, warm water wipe it is!

A couple side questions I now have. I like squirrels, but don't know a lot about them. It seems really odd to see such a young squirrel this close to winter. Is this normal? Do these young ones make it through winter? It seems like there is not enough time to fatten up and store supplies before the freeze hits.

I'm thinking he'll be with me through the winter, then we'll see about releasing him in the spring. Is this correct, or am I in for a longer ride here? I fear that with as tame as he acts around people and pets, he will probably not last long after released.

He should be overwintered. It might be a good idea for us to try to find someone else who has someone his age that he could overwinter with. They are more successful if they learn from each other how to be squirrels. Would you be willing to let him go to someone else for the winter if we can find someone?
    As long as you are not having issues with loose stool, I think the Esbilac is okay for him for now.

Tough call there SM, he gave me that look.... You know it. I think I'd like to see this through if only to avenge the snapping turtle my mom made me set loose when I was 6. Also, I'm not sure if it's possible, but he instantly bonded with me? I really try to not look for human emotions in animals, but his behavior is interesting. He has now been exposed to three other humans, my neighbor and another friend have been there for feedings, and while he lets them hold him, he will always quickly run back to me for protection.

If this gets to be too much, I will definitely get him to rehab before just putting him out.

Can you get a vet to prescribed you some antibacterial eye drops. Might just be a bacterial infection, like pink eye in people. Warm, sterile eye wash and a cotton ball to clean it. You can get sterile eye wash at most any pharmacy. The drops, however, I believe are by prescription only.

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post

I'm thinking he'll be with me through the winter, then we'll see about releasing him in the spring. Is this correct, or am I in for a longer ride here? I fear that with as tame as he acts around people and pets, he will probably not last long after released.
    If you do a soft release process in the spring, it will give him time to wild up and get used to the outside, and give him a better chance at survival.
    Check out the sticky, "soft release process"

I read over that, that's what I was guessing was going to be best for him. There is absolutely no shortage of squirrels in my area for him to learn from.

Yes, it's common for babies to be this young at this time of year, especially with global warming.

You would be much better off switching away from Esbilac to either goat's milk or Fox Valley. We've just seen so many instances of them suddenly taking a turn. Also, they should not be weaned. They should take formula for as long as they want it and allow themselves to transition away.

This little guy is so cute... Hows he doing?

Hope the little one is thriving.

So incredible how a little wild soul knows mama isn't coming back, sees a gigantic creature... and instinctively looks to this strange being for help.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Might his eye have been scratched by the dog's teeth? Does there appear to be any wound around the eye? I will try to direct others who are more knowledgeable to this thread.
    Is the Esbilac that you are feeding, the powder and does it say "with probiotics" on the container?
    By the way...
    This website Dog Dude deals with matters about dogs! We are here to assist you with your needs, whether you already have a dog, want to buy or adopt a puppy, or just want to learn more about different dog breeds. Please feel free to ping us with any questions about dogs.