Thread: Outdoor nest box bedding?

redcedar Guest

Default Outdoor nest box bedding?

Hi,

I'm going to be moving three squirrels into an outdoor enclosure late October; they'll be soft-released from here, but as it will be pretty far up north where the winters are long and cold, and late in the season when they move in, we'll be overwintering them in the enclosure, and then letting them out in the spring.

Would anyone be able to advise on good natural bedding that can be purchased to line their nest box for the winter? I'm looking for something that will keep them warm and dry, that is soft and comfortable, and that won't break the bank. They'll be in a Coveside squirrel nestbox (wood -- sturdy and well-constructed) and the cage will be partly covered with a tarp, but there may be dampness from rain and snow blowing in.

In the past I've given them fleece blankets, sometimes with Timothy hay, avoiding bedding that absorbs moisture like the shredded cardboard stuff or cotton. But I'm reading that hay and straw are too stiff, and I'd rather the squirrels start moving away from our synthetic stuff. I live in a big city so can't easily forage clean leaves, pine needles, moss, etc.

Does anyone know of anything that meets my criteria that is available commercially?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions!

redcedar

Default Re: Outdoor nest box bedding?

Hay from the horse stables with some nice soft fleece on top is what I place in the nest box in my release cages.

Fiber fill stuffing such is used in pillows and crafts.
    It can be purchased at Walmart, JoAnn's or any type place that carries craft supplies.

Very inexpensive, one bag goes a long way. It's very soft, won't smother, won't hold
    mosture and they can (and do) really burrow down in it.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    It can be purchased at Walmart, JoAnn's or any type place that carries craft supplies.

Very inexpensive, one bag goes a long way. It's very soft, won't smother, won't hold
    This is what I use, too. It never molds & does not hold moisture. I stuff a lot in the boxes so they can snuggle in it.
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

lilidukes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

redcedar Guest

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Fiber fill! Who would have guessed? It sounds everyone is in fact using something synthetic and that is the way to go. I liked the hay because it is natural, but there is the concern, because of the length of time they'll be in there, that the hay won't make it through (it will be almost half a year before they can be released where they will be.) So I'll take a look at the fiber fill too and decide.

You all are very quick getting back. Thanks again!

fiber fill won't mold either like hay does.

Yep squirrels like that fiber fill. Neighbor left a seat from his van in backyard, and I have seen many a squirrel going up a tree with a mouth full of fiber fill. LOL

redcedar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mdyoung216 View Post
    Yep squirrels like that fiber fill. Neighbor left a seat from his van in backyard, and I have seen many a squirrel going up a tree with a mouth full of fiber fill. LOL
    Ha ha! Well I guess they know best what works for them. I'm off to buy some right now.

redcedar Guest

So I bought fiberfill and put a little into their then nestbox. One of them tried to eat it, and got mad at me when she decided it didn't taste any good! They put it into their litter box, and kept returning it there whenever I placed more into the nestbox.

Later I gave them their spanky new wood nest box with it pre-lined with fiberfill and fleece. They went nuts over it! I'm not allowed anywhere near. Any new fiberfill I give them they take up all at once and stuff into their box.

They move with the box outdoors in a couple of weeks...

Great thing about fiberfill-if it gets wet it dries quickly and doesn't mold. Light weight and soft.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Question Re: Outdoor nest box bedding?

Quote Originally Posted by redcedar View Post
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Fiber fill! Who would have guessed? It sounds everyone is in fact using something synthetic and that is the way to go. I liked the hay because it is natural, but there is the concern, because of the length of time they'll be in there, that the hay won't make it through (it will be almost half a year before they can be released where they will be.) So I'll take a look at the fiber fill too and decide.

You all are very quick getting back. Thanks again!
    What did you do about the mold on the box itself. I live in the south where it stay wet and humid. My whole outside enclosure is molded and now my squirrels that use to come back every evening don't. They have their own lil enterance on top where they can come and go as they please but now I'm worried the mold is just trying to take over