Thread: Advice needed on moving a nest

Gizmo's Mom Guest

Default Advice needed on moving a nest

Late this afternoon we found a nest of 4 baby squirrel's in the engine compartment of our Ford Bronco. It's been sitting in the driveway for about 6 months without being driven.
    I don't know much about squirrel's nesting habits, and how the parents would react or how old they are (ie, is the mom still nursing?).
    We know they have already chewed some wires in the engine and we really need to move them.
    Any suggestions?
    I think they are about 6-7 inches nose to base of tail (one jumped out of the nest down into the engine compartment) and I'm guessing about 1/3 of their full growth. We had some warm weather this winter in Colorado and it could have triggered an early mating season.

Default Re: Advice needed on moving a nest

moving the nest is not a good idea. the mother would probably abandon her babies.

if there is a tree nearby, like within ten feet of the car, you could buy a wooden box nest and move the babies into that. she would probably find them, especially if you put some food at the base of the tree.

if there are no trees, i think you'll have to call a local rehabber and ask them to come and assess the situation.

do you absolutely need to move the car right now? if you wait a few weeks to a month, they'll probably be gone or at least starting to leave.

thanks for asking before doing something that might kill them.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Gizmo's Mom Guest

Thanks for the advice, Thundersquirrel. The only problem with waiting too much longer is that they are chewing up wires in the engine compartment. The longer we wait, the more time, energy and money we are going to have to expend to get the car fixed.
    I'll see if I can find a rehabber or something in the area.

Smile Re: Advice needed on moving a nest

if you don't need to move the car, but rather just save it from damage, you could apply something to the wires and engine that squirrels don't like.
    squirrels don't like hot sauce, for example. or vinegar.

if this sounds like a good idea to you, wait until the mother leaves the nest, then take a clean towel and place it gently over the nest of babies so that they stay clean. then you can either rub or spray the wires and engine with hot sauce or vinegar. next time mom comes over for a chew, she gets a mouth full of yuck and the problem is solved.

it's an idea.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    wait until the mother leaves the nest, then take a clean towel and place it gently over the nest of babies so that they stay clean. then you can either rub or spray the wires and engine with hot sauce or vinegar. next time mom comes over for a chew, she gets a mouth full of yuck and the problem is solved.
    What if the mother gets it on her face, or her feet, or her underbelly, etc. etc, and then gets it on the baby's? I'm not feeling real warm and fuzzy about that solution....
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

Connie Guest

I have a couple of thoughts about this.

Around here, if conditions around a squirrel nest change, it is normal for mom to move the babies herself. Usually, she has a backup nest somewhere nearby, and she'll carry the babies, one at a time, to her back-up nest.

I assume when Mom made the nest, the hood was closed. I would suggest you leave the hood partly open, and see what happens. Do this very early in the morning. Perhaps she'll decide she no longer likes the engine, once the nest is more exposed, and moves the babies on her own.

Sometimes, when people feel they MUST evict the squirrel family (such as from an attic) they'll move the babies to right outside the original nest location. Mom will usually find them and move them. If you get desperate and decide to move the babies yourself, I would not move them more than a foot or two from the car. However, be aware that there is a risk she might abandon them, in which case you will need to quickly find a rehabilitator, if you haven't already been working with one (which would be advisable).

And, of course, unless you seal off or move the car, she could try move right back into it.

Are the babies' eyes open or still shut closed? Can you take a picture of the babies and post it here? That way, we can get an idea of how old they are.
    Perhaps they are almost old enough to leave on their own.

Connie
    NYS Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator specializing in newborn and juvenile gray squirrels

Gizmo's Mom Guest

Thank's for everyone's advice. We opened up the hood of the car a few days ago, and the babies were gone! The mother may have decided she didn't like the hood being opened and shut, or it's possible it was time for them to leave the nest anyway. They were looking pretty big.
    My husband immediately removed the nest so they won't return (this season anyway).
    Now for replacing all the wires.....

Thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.