Thread: Formula and Baytril?

Default Formula and Baytril?

So, I was just reading this http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/heal...144600992.html

and noticed the part about milk and cipro...

"Milk and Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin
    Many women treat urinary tract infections with ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin, but taking the drug with milk, yogurt, or even calcium-fortified orange juice could result in mistreating the infection completely. Milk and other calcium-enriched liquids can bind infection-fighting Cipro in the digestive tract, preventing it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. "In terms of 'dangerous' drug-food interactions, most drug-food interactions reduce the absorption of drugs," says Bertino. Mixing these liquids can reduce the amount of drug absorbed into the blood so much that the antibiotic will not clear up the infection and the bacteria can even become resistant to those antibiotics. It's suggested that people wait a few hours between ingesting medicine and consuming dairy.
    "

It's my understanding that Cipro and Baytril are essentially the same thing. Thus, should I understand that Baytril should be between feedings. Like if feeding every four hours, calculate to give Baytril at the two-hour gap?

Not an issue I'm dealing with (fingers crossed) but thought I should ask the question now.

Default Re: Formula and Baytril?

You are correct. In fact, just a couple days ago we tried to treat a Cipro OD with calcium.

Default Re: Formula and Baytril?

Wow, I did not know this. I've always given abs with formula...maybe we should make a sticky of this...