Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

Default My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

I have two flyers and by my own stupidity i did not give them the correct diet. and one had signs of mbd. i tried to take it to the bet but the vet wanted 600 dollars before he would even see him. needles to say i could not afford 600 plus whatever the doc would charge me. i did a ton of research on here and started treating the flyer. i changed his diet immediately and he showed such great improvement. i know this does not go away over night but he has begun to look rather oily. I have been giving him a veggie smoothie made from veggies and fruit, mealworms and wax worms, fruit and bone marrow, also added rodent blocks, i have been putting small very small doses of zoo meds reptivite in his smoothie to help get vitamins in him. maybe i am doing something wrong. i feel like im a bad flyer dad. He is not showing any problem in movement or anything like that he can now climb on my clothes without his claws getting stuck and is becoming hard to catch, awesome. but his coat looks like it is becoming oily and i am worried. I am in Charleston S.C i tried to get a picture to show but the picture does not turn out well i will try again an post as soon as i get a good clear one. Please help my poor little flyer I dont know what i would do if i lost him. Can also email me directly at rodger.wanke@gmail.com

Thank you so much
    Rodger Wanke

Default Re: My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

Rodger. The good news is that now you are doing what you can to remedy the situation and it sounds like you're doing a very good job. I'm honestly not sure about the oily coat but have you changed out his bedding recently? I've never heard of anyone making a smoothie out of all of these ingredients because the flyers will just eat everything separately. I'm wondering if the flyer is just grooming smoothie into his fur by accident and that is what you are seeing.

ok well that is reassuring i can not get him to eat veggies so i made a veggie and fruit smoothie here are some pictures of his coat they are better but not like looking at the real thing. yes i change the bedding every two day and clean the cage twice a week. the yogurt picture is from about a week and a half ago the others from today. the yogurt picture is not that great but i can see a difference. Name:  IMG_2834.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.13 MBName:  IMG_2835.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_2836.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  1.12 MBName:  006.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1.01 MB

Oh you don't need to change his bedding that often. They like to keep it and have it smell familiar

Honestly, he looks really healthy to me. I'm thinking this is just a new coat coming in. I've alerted one of our other flyer experts to your need for advice and he should be able to give some useful input.

Thank you so much....... can i give him a bath maybe?

I wouldn't. For the sake of your fingers!

What was his diet before? Did he get alot of nuts/seeds? When I first got Rocket, he had lived on a diet of nuts (out of a can, with added salt no less!) I immediately changed his diet, and his fur got oily too. It took a little while but got to look like everyone else's coat. What are you feeding now? Are you mixing that all together? How many worms are you adding in? If the mix has a lot of fat, that could also be why you are seeing a greasy coat.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

i give him about three of each worm split between morning and night. fresh fruit. mango orange kiwi apple avocado fresh. the smoothie is fresh veggies and fruit mix i change up the ingredients so he can have variety. rodent blocks he does not have much to do with them but i see they are being eaten. chicken bones with marrow. i stopped nuts except maybe one to two acorn a week as a snack. once a week i give some peanut butter. i tried to give him fresh veggies but he wont eat them. neither of them will eat the fresh veggies but they love the smoothie.

his diet before was nuts and bugs bird food very bad and very stupid me.

I've seen the Skuls recommend adding avocado and 5 meal worms per day, the worms only coated in Calcium, to their diet. They swear by it for their coat! Worked beautifully for mine!!

lilidukes Guest

to TSB

We have a member Lulu2010 who is in your same area.
    She has a wonderful vet there. $600 is ridiculous we have
    quite a few vets around the state you can use and none
    charge like that.
    I had the same look to my flyers and I upped their protein
    levels and the oily look went away.

FYI-acorns are not the same as nuts. I give mine acorns every day because it would be a large part of their diet in the wild.

He actually looks pretty good.
    You might consider reducing the amount of fruit. Might be to much sugar. Just a couple small pieces, is all you need.
    Avacato is good. Not sugary. If you think of it, offer a slice of fresh mushroom. Mine love it.
    Keep offering the fresh greens.

Mushrooms! I totally forgot about the mushrooms.

I agree with Skul - try to ease up on the fruit (they should really only get one small piece of fruit a day). See if you can get him to eat Greek yogurt instead of Yoplait. That brand tends to be very high in sugar. Greek yogurt will get him more of the good stuff (protein, probiotics) and less of the bad (sugar). If he doesn't like it, try a few flavors until he finds one he likes.

Try bringing in some branches (maple and/or oak) from outside. He will love to play with them and it will get some wild food in his diet.

Avocado and yogurt are great - they will help his coat to look good.

Also, cut out the peanut butter. It is a legume (not a nut) and is not really very good for them. Try small pieces of pecan or walnut instead, as a treat. Mine also loves pumpkin seeds for a treat.

Thanks for coming here for help, and keep up the good work!
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

You are awesome thank you. what type of mushrooms? and what kind of greens do your flyers like? I have tried a variety of mushrooms, and all types of veggies cooked and un cooked. they just wont eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by MallardsFly View Post
    You are awesome thank you. what type of mushrooms? and what kind of greens do your flyers like? I have tried a variety of mushrooms, and all types of veggies cooked and un cooked. they just wont eat it.
    You have to give tough love. Nothing but the greens until they start eating them. I had to do it and it sucked but my guys are healthy!! We have nutrition info. Let me grab you the link...

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ying-Squirrels

What uni said; make sure he only has access to healthy food for a week or so. He won't starve himself! Go to your grocery store and pick up scraps of veggies to get a larger variety for him to try. Favorites tend to be endive, insides of sugar snap peas, carrots, portabella mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms. Try ordering the picky eater squirrel block from Henry's Healthy Pets - that will give him good supplemental nutrition.
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

My flyers fav mushroom by far is ****ake (I know the filter will take some letters out..lol) They devour them! Mine love their greens, also like cucumbers, a little sweet potato, some squash, a very small piece of apple or a blueberry. I do maybe once a week offer a few black stripe sunflower seeds, as well (as long as they have been eating the other stuff well). Oh, and a fav treat is a small amount of Nutella! lol They also all get Stoneyfield Whole Milk Cream on Top French Vanilla, which they all love as well. Bugs I give as treats in the morning, I alternate between mealies, waxies and supers. I also give a small piece of henry's flyer blocks and also give them regular rodent block (Mazuri). I give other veggies, those are the ones that popped into my head (just woke up...lol)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

ok i will try what you have suggested. thank you so much all of you such a great help....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast