Thread: POSTING for MCAFER - 4 week old fox sq baby Needs help

Default POSTING for MCAFER - 4 week old fox sq baby Needs help

Hello,
    I apologize for getting in the middle of the 'Broken Leg' thread with my dilemma, but I cannot figure out how to start my own message. I need help please.

I have a 4 week old fox baby squirrel that came in with fleas, abrasions, and very dehydrated. After 6 hrs of pedialyte, and good urine output, I started him on 25% goats milk and 75% water, then on to 50/50 then 75/50, etc. When we got to 100% goats milk, I added yogurt (yesterday) at a ratio of 3 parts goats milk to 1 part yogurt.

He had a good poo Wed night the 4th, but since then have only had tiny bits of somewhat runny poo. And I mean very little output, like maybe .05 cc in the last 36 hrs.

His belly is distended but not hard. I have been massaging with warm water using a cottonball but not making progress. I did feed him this morning and he took 2 ccs of the formula. Should I get a laxative for him? What kind and how much?

Thank you for your help, I don't want to lose him.....

Hello,
    I apologize for getting in the middle of the 'Broken Leg' thread with my dilemma, but I cannot figure out how to start my own message. I need help please.

I have a 4 week old fox baby squirrel that came in with fleas, abrasions, and very dehydrated. After 6 hrs of pedialyte, and good urine output, I started him on 25% goats milk and 75% water, then on to 50/50 then 75/50, etc. When we got to 100% goats milk, I added yogurt (yesterday) at a ratio of 3 parts goats milk to 1 part yogurt.

He had a good poo Wed night the 4th, but since then have only had tiny bits of somewhat runny poo. And I mean very little output, like maybe .05 cc in the last 36 hrs.

His belly is distended but not hard. I have been massaging with warm water using a cottonball but not making progress. I did feed him this morning and he took 2 ccs of the formula. Should I get a laxative for him? What kind and how much?

Default Re: Broken back leg

Quote Originally Posted by mcafer View Post
    Hello,

Just started a thread for you...someone will be with you momentarily.

Default Re: POSTING for MCAFER - 4 week old fox sq baby Needs help

Is he giving you urine? What color is the poo?

Best thing for your baby is fox valley formula. You can order it online from Henry's Healthy Pets. Thanks for taking care of this little one, and good luck.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the Fox Valley is to arrive tomorrow so am using goats milk until then. There is good clear urine, the poo is gold in color.

Please continue the re-hydration protocol for 2-3 days. That is in addition to the 5% formula feedings you must add replacement fluid in between feedings. You can use pedialyte for 3-4 days for re-hydrating purposes. Sugar can pull the fluids out of the cells. If this is too much fluid for this little one to take PO, you may SubQ sterile fluids only. Many rehabilitators stop re-hydrating too soon. The animal may surive but it will make it more difficult for it. As for abrasions, they should be cleaned and treated with neosporin. For the fleas, you can use 5% Sevin Poultry dust. (You can get it at any hardware store. It is used to dust chickens for parasites.) Use it very lightly . I use a make-up blush brush to apply to the babies but you can use a small paint brush too. Powder very lightly their body all over. It really does not take much dust to work right away. I usually powder just the top of their head making sure to be careful not to get it in their eyes, nose or mouth.
    Get better little one
    BTW, Dehydration can cause constipation.

check
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Please continue the re-hydration protocol for 2-3 days. That is in addition to the 5% formula feedings you must add replacement fluid in between feedings. You can use pedialyte for 3-4 days for re-hydrating purposes. Sugar can pull the fluids out of the cells. If this is too much fluid for this little one to take PO, you may SubQ sterile fluids only. Many rehabilitators stop re-hydrating too soon. The animal may surive but it will make it more difficult for it. As for abrasions, they should be cleaned and treated with neosporin. For the fleas, you can use 5% Sevin Poultry dust. (You can get it at any hardware store. It is used to dust chickens for parasites.) Use it very lightly . I use a make-up blush brush to apply to the babies but you can use a small paint brush too. Powder very lightly their body all over. It really does not take much dust to work right away. I usually powder just the top of their head making sure to be careful not to get it in their eyes, nose or mouth.
    Get better little one
    BTW, Dehydration can cause constipation.
    I will get him back on the pedialyte and give that in between feedings. Thanks you for this reminder. I had been giving water in between formula feedings and thought that was enough, but obviously not. I really appreciate this board! Thank you very much.

I will get him back on the pedialyte and give that in between feedings. Thanks you for this reminder. I had been giving water in between formula feedings and thought that was enough, but obviously not. I really appreciate this board! Thank you very much.

All, I wanted to thank everyone for the feedback in regards to the little fox squirrel. I thought the problem was constipation, and took him to the vet on Saturday for assistance. (I work there on Sat mornings) Anyway, we performed an ultrasound and found that there was fluid on the abdomen. Evidently this is what was stopping up the little guy and why I was seeing no poo. The vet and I were going to try antibiotics first to see if that would resolve the fluid, and if not, we were going to try and drain the fluid. But the little one died before we could give it a go. As you all know, it it hearbreaking to lose them, and I am still doing the "coulda shoulda etc etc. So please join me in a special goodbye to little Luke, who graced my life for only a few days.....again, thanks to everyone for your help.

All, I wanted to thank everyone for the feedback in regards to the little fox squirrel. I thought the problem was constipation, and took him to the vet on Saturday for assistance. (I work there on Sat mornings) Anyway, we performed an ultrasound and found that there was fluid on the abdomen. Evidently this is what was stopping up the little guy and why I was seeing no poo. The vet and I were going to try antibiotics first to see if that would resolve the fluid, and if not, we were going to try and drain the fluid. But the little one died before we could give it a go. As you all know, it it hearbreaking to lose them, and I am still doing the "coulda shoulda etc etc. So please join me in a special goodbye to little Luke, who graced my life for only a few days.....again, thanks to everyone for your help.
    I am sorry to hear this about that pressure little baby Luke! R.I.P. little guy

I am saddened by your loss. Rest in peace little Luke.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

oh no poor baby. i am so so sorry.

RIP little Luke.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.