Thread: SQUIRREL FLEAS: transmissible to humans or pets???

Default SQUIRREL FLEAS: transmissible to humans or pets???

One of our SPCA volunteers emailed us today saying: "I have just noticed some 2 dozens red dots on my shoulder. Could those be squirrel flea bites? Are squirrel fleas transmissible to my cats and dogs?"

I'm not positive what to tell her. I was under the impression that squirrel fleas didn't bite humans but... Since I always de-flea my babies soon as I see one of them pests, I never had that problem myself.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Default Re: SQUIRREL FLEAS: transmissible to humans or pets???

not fleas, but mange mites I'll bet. They will jump on us but there is a medicine that will cure the bites very easily. She should see her doctor asap.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I agree with IR --and keep in mind FLEAS are FLEAS (no matter what) and they are not named by what animal they are on.

"Squirrels Fleas"

I read squirrel fleas are different than cat fleas. Can't jump like cat fleas. That said they may still attempt to bite it just won't survive off of humans.

That said, it's theorized that fleas are essentially flies that somehow evolved into bloodsuckers. So with evolution, all is possible.

If it's mites, the lady at Cushings told me she used Nix cream on the affected areas and it helped her. The pharmacist keeps it behind the counter but no prescription needed. However, when I spoke to a pharmacist, he said he wasn't aware of animal to human transmission of mites. I assured him a rehabber told me it happened to her and she used Nix. It's like $25/tube.

Note: reason for my conversation with pharmacist was because I wanted to buy some to have on hand

Great info...

Once again, 'puter troubles but hey! I AM GRATEFUL GUYS!!!!!
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

From my parasitology notes:

Ctenocephalides felis and C. canis are the cat and dog fleas respectively. Fleas aren't host specific, but they often have a preferred host. C. felis is most common on cats and on dogs.

Then the last sentence in the notes was that fleas of rodents will also occasionally use dogs and cats as hosts. My guess is that if you have flea infested baby rodents in close contact with your pets or yourself, then your likelihood of having an issue with them is much much greater than just occasionally.

I had an indoor only cat that became infested with fleas and the dogs that go outside had none. He lived down in the room near my wildlife room and had feline leukemia. I'm guessing that the squirrel I got in a while before he died that was COVERED in fleas was probably the reason for the fleas on the cat.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!