Thread: 3 Week Old Female Squirt - Maggots in ears - HELP PLEASE

Default 3 Week Old Female Squirt - Maggots in ears - HELP PLEASE

Hey guys, our vet just called and had me come up there to get a baby squirrel that was dropped off . I picked her up and she has little tiny maggots in her ears and they are very hard to get out. She also has what appears to be a burn on her stomach and there is maggots in that wound as well. We are cleaning her wounds and ears with peroxide. Do you think the maggots are already under the skin? I don't want her to suffer anymore than she has. Please let me know what to do. I'm sorry for not looking through old posts about this but I don't think she has a lot of time as she is VERY dehydrated as well and seems extremely stressed and lethargic.

Default Re: 3 Week Old Female Squirt - Maggots in ears - HELP PLEASE

Capstar dose ASAP! Flush the ears with warm saline solution. I don't think hydrogen peroxide is good. Hopefully someone else will chime in and let you know for sure.

I had one with tiny maggots in ears, and flushed with chlorhexidine solution and saline water, warm. They came out after a few gentle flushes and a good dose of Capstar.

Dilute a 11.4 mg tablet in 2 cc of water and give 0.01 ml per 25 grams of body weight.

Also, keep hydrating her with the warm pedilyte every 30 min, get her to take some. slowly rehydrate so her system doesn't shock.
    Sorry for so sloppy, i check thread with phone, leaving for work.
    Also keep her very warm. Heating pad rice buddy etc.... Pick off as many as you can, be patient....

I was told to divide the 11.4 mg Capstar pill into quarters and to dilute 1/4 of the pill in a little bit of water and give my babies that. (It worked great).

I was also told to use a diluted Betadine solution on wounds-it worked really well on my little one's toe that was cut down to the bone. Somewhere I read that you can cover the wound with vaseline and it will force the maggots to the surface for air? (But no clue how accurate that is).

Good luck!

Oh- I also gave mine a bath in warm water and Dawn dish soap as soon as they were warm enough where it wouldn't shock them to get wet. It kills fleas and other parasites and helps loosen anything that is attached.

Peroxide can easily damage tissue. A weak Betadine solution is great. And the rehaber guide book indicates that dosing an antibiotic for this is good after the use of ivermectin, but I assume that this is true for Capstar as well.

Hey guys, thank you so much for all your advice. I definitely learned something new about the peroxide. Unfortunately while I was resolving the capstar she passed away. . This is only the 2nd one I have had die. Does it ever not break your heart to see one go? I know I sound like the weird squirrel lady but my heart is just broken .

Quote Originally Posted by SquirtsMom View Post
    Hey guys, thank you so much for all your advice. I definitely learned something new about the peroxide. Unfortunately while I was resolving the capstar she passed away. . This is only the 2nd one I have had die. Does it ever not break your heart to see one go? I know I sound like the weird squirrel lady but my heart is just broken .
    Nothing weird about that. If that is weird then I must be a weird monster because this tugs on my heartstrings and I have never met either one of you. I think what is weird is watching a little baby pass and not feeling hurt and sad, that would be really creepy.

RIP little one.

Godspeed little one...

The day it no longer breaks your heart should be your last day of rehabbing. It is your tender heart that makes you do it.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I am so sorry. Sounds like shw was in bad shape

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Godspeed little one...

The day it no longer breaks your heart should be your last day of rehabbing. It is your tender heart that makes you do it.

My thoughts exactly!!! Sending !
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.