Thread: My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

Hybrid View

Default My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

I have two flyers and by my own stupidity i did not give them the correct diet. and one had signs of mbd. i tried to take it to the bet but the vet wanted 600 dollars before he would even see him. needles to say i could not afford 600 plus whatever the doc would charge me. i did a ton of research on here and started treating the flyer. i changed his diet immediately and he showed such great improvement. i know this does not go away over night but he has begun to look rather oily. I have been giving him a veggie smoothie made from veggies and fruit, mealworms and wax worms, fruit and bone marrow, also added rodent blocks, i have been putting small very small doses of zoo meds reptivite in his smoothie to help get vitamins in him. maybe i am doing something wrong. i feel like im a bad flyer dad. He is not showing any problem in movement or anything like that he can now climb on my clothes without his claws getting stuck and is becoming hard to catch, awesome. but his coat looks like it is becoming oily and i am worried. I am in Charleston S.C i tried to get a picture to show but the picture does not turn out well i will try again an post as soon as i get a good clear one. Please help my poor little flyer I dont know what i would do if i lost him. Can also email me directly at rodger.wanke@gmail.com

Thank you so much
    Rodger Wanke

Default Re: My flyer has an oily look to his coat.

Rodger. The good news is that now you are doing what you can to remedy the situation and it sounds like you're doing a very good job. I'm honestly not sure about the oily coat but have you changed out his bedding recently? I've never heard of anyone making a smoothie out of all of these ingredients because the flyers will just eat everything separately. I'm wondering if the flyer is just grooming smoothie into his fur by accident and that is what you are seeing.

ok well that is reassuring i can not get him to eat veggies so i made a veggie and fruit smoothie here are some pictures of his coat they are better but not like looking at the real thing. yes i change the bedding every two day and clean the cage twice a week. the yogurt picture is from about a week and a half ago the others from today. the yogurt picture is not that great but i can see a difference. Name:  IMG_2834.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.13 MBName:  IMG_2835.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_2836.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  1.12 MBName:  006.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  1.01 MB

Oh you don't need to change his bedding that often. They like to keep it and have it smell familiar

Honestly, he looks really healthy to me. I'm thinking this is just a new coat coming in. I've alerted one of our other flyer experts to your need for advice and he should be able to give some useful input.

Thank you so much....... can i give him a bath maybe?

I wouldn't. For the sake of your fingers!