Thread: ESBILAC BAD?

Default ESBILAC BAD?

I am new to the site, and have an approximately one week old single female squirrel. I rehydrated her and have been feeding her esbilac? So far she has been doing wonderfully. Very active and healthy looking! But am now reading and have been told that it could end up having bad effects on her? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have rehabbed older babies successfully, but never this young, and never by themselves. Thank you! http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/smilies/bty.gif

Default Re: ESBILAC BAD?

Yes, it's bad. I've got to run, but here's a thread about it and what you should use.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ilk-Formula***

Quote Originally Posted by kaatybird View Post
    I am new to the site, and have an approximately one week old single female squirrel. I rehydrated her and have been feeding her esbilac? So far she has been doing wonderfully. Very active and healthy looking! But am now reading and have been told that it could end up having bad effects on her? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have rehabbed older babies successfully, but never this young, and never by themselves. Thank you! http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/smilies/bty.gif
    Since the changes they have made to Esbilac yes it is bad for your baby. There is a temporary substitute you can use as Farreli has posted and then you will need to get some Fox Valley formula specially designed to meet a baby squirrels nutritional needs

Foxvalleynutrition.com
    "Rutheford" (Starling) Released
    "Itsy" (Starling) Released
    "Bitsy" (Starling) Released
    "Hammie" (Squirrel) born July 2012, received Aug. 12, 2012-Dec. 2012 RIP Sweet Love
    "Lil Squirt" (Dove) Currently being Rehabilitated permanent resident
    "Little Buddy" (squirrel) born August -Received September 2, RIP sweet lil boy, September 2, 2013
    "Sammy Snuggles" (squirrel) rehabilitated, May 7th, 2014-Alive and well, with his permanent new "mommy" (2015)

I don't think Esbilac is "bad", over just a few days. It just lacks some of the needed nutrients that squirrels require.
    It's just a last ditch stand-in when goats milk, or FV, aren't immediately available.
    We do prefer FV, over all. If you can mix up some of the goats milk formula, you might try that.
    Do a percentage change over a day or so, until the FV arrives.
    Then you do a switch for another day or so with the FV.
    The idea is to not shock their system with wild swings in diet.
    I'd suggest leaving the cream out until the squirrel is responding in a good way.

Thanks everyone! Little peanut was taken off of the esbilac and put on the GM and Yogurt mixture, responded extremely well. I have now added the cream to it as well! She is weighing in at 25 grams this morning! I really appreciate the helpful advice and im so glad that I found this site!