Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diatomaceous earth: A safe alternative!!

Default Re: A safe alternative!!

Quote Originally Posted by StormyJei View Post
    Aww I am so sorry it didn't work!! What brand did you end up using?
    I use it around the base of our home as well. We have terrible ant problems, and the food grade DE definitely works! I did not know about using it in and on animals! Thanks and I will look into that further.

Quote Originally Posted by mcafer View Post
    I use it around the base of our home as well. We have terrible ant problems, and the food grade DE definitely works! I did not know about using it in and on animals! Thanks and I will look into that further.
    Most definitely! My babies actually love it. So far I just powder a little bit into their food once a week and stir it real nice! And np! Glad to see so many people who already use it!!!
    Of all the times I have seen squirrels dead in the road...each time I thought nothing of it...And now I care for two babies. Every time I see what I used to see, I get angry at humans for taking away what was never ours. But for every one terrible being who destroys the lives of animals, there are two beings giving back. Thank you to everyone on this board, and everyone outside of the board, who cares deeply enough to give these beings a chance at life. The chance we all deserve. <3

mommasbaby Guest

Glad to know it is safe one of the clerks at our tractor supply told me to buy some and I didn't because I was afraid it would hurt mommas baby!!Guess I will have to give it a try.

Squirrelyogi Guest

How much would you recommend dusting each squirrel? Half a teaspoon? Full teaspoon? I'm new to squirrels lol. Seriously. For like the last six months!

The problem I have is only one of our backyard squirrels east from my hand, so I won't be able to get close enough to dust the rest for fleas. I can see them scratching and itching them. I know one of them has mange for sure which I'm looking into now on this forum. It happens to be the guy who is eating from my hand.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelyogi View Post
    How much would you recommend dusting each squirrel? Half a teaspoon? Full teaspoon? I'm new to squirrels lol. Seriously. For like the last six months!

The problem I have is only one of our backyard squirrels east from my hand, so I won't be able to get close enough to dust the rest for fleas. I can see them scratching and itching them. I know one of them has mange for sure which I'm looking into now on this forum. It happens to be the guy who is eating from my hand.
    Hi Sqirrelyogi, the food grade DE can be applied liberally although with care to not aggravate the Squirrel's respiratory systems, they are very sensitive in that area. As mentioned this product can also be used on your domestics as needed, and around your Home and Garden to control everything from fleas to ants.

Walmart and Tractor Supply Company both carry this product, however make sure what you purchase is labeled Food Grade.

Default Re: Diatomaceous earth: A safe alternative!!

FYI: I edited the title of this very helpful thread so that "Diatomaceous earth" appears in it. This way it will come up more readily when someone searches for more info on DE.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Annabelle's papa Guest

Amen Great IR, I've used 5% Sevin dust (Sparingly) my entire life, and considering it's made with Carbaryl it can be more dangerous to some People and Animals than others. Meaning the same sprinkle you use on your 15 lb Terrier could very well send your 60 lb German Shepard into convulsions and death. The (Inert) compound in Sevin, or the other 95% is DE and I never knew it was available separately until reading that info here, nor did I know there was a food and industrial grade.

You can teach an Old Dog new tricks, however the Dog has to "Want" to learn.

DE should be a common household product like baking soda. We love that stuff. we get ours from our local organic store. Food grade only and luckily they will let us buy it by the weight. So if we only want an ounce or a pound we can get it.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Delo729 View Post
    DE should be a common household product like baking soda. We love that stuff. we get ours from our local organic store. Food grade only and luckily they will let us buy it by the weight. So if we only want an ounce or a pound we can get it.
    Amen Delo729, I got some From Walmart at around 8.00 for a pound, and I feel safer using it, on everyone, and I've already used a lot of it around the house and porches to get ahead of the pest season.

Three other good household products are Borax, Alcohol, and Diluted Bleach 1:10. These compounds are a lot safer than most commercial chemical formulas.

Squirrelyogi Guest

Is it ok if the squirrel licks the DE off it's rump after it's applied, for example?

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelyogi View Post
    Is it ok if the squirrel licks the DE off it's rump after it's applied, for example?
    For the most part, some Animals are fed small portions for different ailments from what I've read, but Food Grade only.

Good thread!

I'll just repeat what has already been stated:

Only use "Food Grade" Diatomaceous Earth!

The other types (used for pools etc) is actually toxic and dangerous because of chemicals that are added.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Went online to see info about Diatomaccous Earth and really don't know which one to get. Both are at Walmart. Hopefully I am able to post the picture okay. Thanks
    ReRe

Couldn't figure out how to send a pic of DE. One is called Nature's Best Organic Feed, the other is made by Safer and has Diatomaccous Earth on the package. I can't read the descriptions on either. Maybe someone can tell me exactly which one to get. Thanks
    ReRe

Yep, I agree with TD - Food grade DE and thanks for the reminder - I need to order some today. The ants are back and marching off with Angel's crumbs.
    It proved to be very effective last year when Lenny was inside and we began to have an ant problem in the bathroom. It was such a relief to find something safe to use around the squee!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe View Post
    Couldn't figure out how to send a pic of DE. One is called Nature's Best Organic Feed, the other is made by Safer and has Diatomaccous Earth on the package. I can't read the descriptions on either. Maybe someone can tell me exactly which one to get. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Yep, I agree with TD - Food grade DE and thanks for the reminder - I need to order some today. The ants are back and marching off with Angel's crumbs.
    It proved to be very effective last year when Lenny was inside and we began to have an ant problem in the bathroom. It was such a relief to find something safe to use around the squee!
    Hi ReRe and lennysmom, this is the best deal I've been able to find, Red Lake brand Diatomaceous Earth in 20 lb bags, 12.00. Both Tractor Supply and Rural King carry this size, and it is listed as Food Grade on the label.

I recently purchased a 4 lb bag from Walmart, similar to the Natures Best although it was in a blue bag and it was 9.00.

Name:  absorbent_products_40lb._diatomaceous_earth_powder_w104.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  67.2 KB

Click image for a larger view.

I have to admit, for fleas, I have found this stuff to be useless. I used it on Peanut and my cats and it just gave the fleas a very fashionable white glow (it's all the rage this spring!). I do, however, occasionally feed it to my furbabies fixed with their food for a week at a time for intentional parasites. My guys are also on wormer (minus the flyers) but I figure it can't hurt. I too eat it and weirdly enjoy the chalky taste. I eat it in yogurt and everything thinks its disgusting. Perhaps I have a bit of pica!!!! Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle's papa View Post
    Hi ReRe and lennysmom, this is the best deal I've been able to find, Red Lake brand Diatomaceous Earth in 20 lb bags, 12.00. Both Tractor Supply and Rural King carry this size, and it is listed as Food Grade on the label.

I recently purchased a 4 lb bag from Walmart, similar to the Natures Best although it was in a blue bag and it was 9.00.

Name:  absorbent_products_40lb._diatomaceous_earth_powder_w104.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  67.2 KB

Click image for a larger view.
    Thanks for the response, I am attaching a pic of it to make sure I got the right stuff. Too bad the feedback majority says doesn't help with fleas. Got it in case I do get a ant problem and figure out what else I can use it for. Miss Odus is 9-10 weeks, best way to use it? around her cage, inside her cage, she can eat it right? That is if I purchased the correct stuff. Thanks

Hey, if I had just looked closer, I would know it was one and the same. Yours is just a larger bag, right? Not much on directions on the jar will go online also and see if I can find more info on it's uses and how much.

Attachment 256303
    ReRe

attached incorrectly, here I go again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ReRe

That is Food grade DE.

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe View Post
    attached incorrectly, here I go again.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast