Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 week old - Bot Fly

jbillings Guest

Default Re: 4 week old - Bot Fly

I haven't read the whole thread but have you tried the vasoline approach that Jackie mentioned in the other Bot Fly thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jbillings View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread but have you tried the vasoline approach that Jackie mentioned in the other Bot Fly thread?
    I havent tried any thing yet...... we were waiting to let them come out naturally, hence why I felt I had to post about my concern tonight.

NOW!! --I'm waiting to here back from the members that have more exp in this field and know more about warbles than I do.....
    I want to hear what they feel I should do next.... wait a little longer or pull them both????

jbillings Guest

Poor little guy! They are nasty! I can only imagine how they feel! I am literally getting chills down my spine just looking at them! Yuk

tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil

HURRAH!! Those Nasty Things are GONE!!

Top Back Hole after the Warble is GONE!!

Resting after Both Warbles are GONE!!

Size of the 2 Nasty Boogers.......

jbillings Guest

Chills....running down spine! Thank God they are out! Little guy must be so relieved! How did you get them out?

How did you get them out?
    I pulled them after pushing at the base. The one on the back came out fairly easy, but the one on the side struggled before he gave up the fight.

Chills....running down spine! Thank God they are out! Little guy must be so relieved! How did you get them out?
    YES!!! YES!!! INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

Thank goodness! These things give me nightmares!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Thank goodness! These things give me nightmares!!!
    Me too...... I always feel dirty like some thing is on me after I see them.

Dipper being such a trooper during the first extraction.......

Oh Dipper...you are such a sweet baby!!!

jbillings Guest

What a little trooper! He needs lots of lovin and spoilin after his horrible ordeal I'm sure he already gets tons of it anyway

I wish there was a way to get them off my releases. I know they all have at least 3-4 warbles on each. Some of them I've counted 5 or more. Houdini dropped one the other day while I was outside giving them their daily nut treats. He came for a nut, saw the larvae looking ready to come out, Houdini came back for the second nut, he had a hole where the larvae was.
    I looked all over the ground to find where it had dropped so I could get rid of it..... Well I found it, already attracting flies and ants. Ugh, I flushed that sucker down the toilet.

So glad litter Dipper's ordeal is over. Must be so rough on such a young one. Good job momma for sticking through it without puking!

Dipper

Question for the PRO's --
    Was the awful smell coming from the warble on the upper back normal? --the discharge was dark in color at times
    and got slung all the over the place when little Dipper would move faster or jump.

Dipper woke up this morning looking so much better, having a lot of energy with a good appetite.
    He does have some pus coming out of the open hole on the back that I will watch today.

If you have some betadine or can get some, flushing with a VERY diluted solution of water and betadine is probably a good idea. Pus and odor is a bit worrisome, but not sure if it is normal with these yucky bots.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If you have some betadine or can get some, flushing with a VERY diluted solution of water and betadine is probably a good idea. Pus and odor is a bit worrisome, but not sure if it is normal with these yucky bots.
    The odor was there before the warble was removed..... I was wanting to know if it was normal for it to smell when the warble was in the body of the squirrel. Since the warble has been removed the smell is no longer around. It has been about 17 hours since the warble has been removed and I noticed some pus coming out of the upper hole on the back when the squirrel moved (the hole with the previous smell), so I gentle squeezed it and more pus came out..... then I cleaned it up and put some Neosporin on it.

I will have my husband pick up some Betadine on his way home from work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    The odor was there before the warble was removed..... I was wanting to know if it was normal for it to smell when the warble was in the body of the squirrel. Since the warble has been removed the smell is no longer around. It has been about 17 hours since the warble has been removed and I noticed some pus coming out of the upper hole on the back when the squirrel moved (the hole with the previous smell), so I gentle squeezed it and more pus came out..... then I cleaned it up and put some Neosporin on it.

I will have my husband pick up some Betadine on his way home from work tonight.
    Here is something to think about before using Neosporin:

Quote Originally Posted by krushia View Post
    I now realize my response may have sounded a bit rude, it wasn't meant to be

However, I think you brought up an important discussion point when you said a lot of people on this board use Neosporin. I actually just did a search and found a surprising number of threads in which this was recommended for rodents. This worries me, because even though I might not know much about what is safe to use on rodents, I certainly know that Neosporin is NOT safe.

The main problem is the neomycin it contains. When used on shallow scrapes on humans there are seldom any problems (except allergic reactions in some people). However, when delivered parenterally (in deep wounds or through injection) nephrotoxicity (kidney damage) and ototoxicity (ear damage) generally ocurrs. This damage is usually irreversable. This is why Neosporin and other "tripple antibiotic" ointments always say not to use on deep or puncture wounds.

Now with rodents this is even more of a problem. Because Neosporin is formulated for human needs, this makes it several times more potent when used on small mammals. When applied to a "surface wound" on a squirrel, the effects on the animal are as harmful as if you were to inject it into your blood with a syringe! If the thought of the squirrel suffering tinnitus, vertigo, hearing loss, and acute tubular necrosis isn't enough to spook you; if the squirrel licks and ingests some of the ointment, it can wipe out all bacteria in the intestines - causing a whole load of nutritional problems.

Next time you hear someone say they are using Neosporin (or any "triple antibiotic), tell them Ken said not to . A better thing to use would be Polysporin, which is the same thing but with only the polypeptides (bacitracin and polymyxin) which are much safer then neomycin (which is an aminoglycoside).

Again, I don't mean to come across as a mean know-it-all or anything, just want to make sure people are aware of problems this common ointment can cause, since our little critters don't always tell us they're having side effects

I've not had any experience with bots in a squirrel in my custody, but I have been watching my wilds with them very closely. They all come to my deck in the morning and evenings to take treats from my hand, so I can always get a good look at them. The bots have emerged this week, and none of my squees have pus. One dropped its larvae on my deck in the morning and had a gaping, bloody looking hole. By evening the hole was closed and the next morning it was dry and flat. All of my wilds have healed nicely with no signs of drainage whatsoever. I think you need to irrigate the hole with a very weak Betadine solution and watch it very closely, and you may want to start AB's just to be on the safe side. What an ordeal for you both!!!! This had to be so taxing on his little system and hard for you to watch. I'm hoping little Dipper is on the road to a swift recovery.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast