Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 week old - Bot Fly

Default 4 week old - Bot Fly

I do believe one of my two new precious babies that are just four weeks old has two bot flies warbles on him with poss others to come.
    I have never had to deal with these critters before in my 7 years of rehabbing so a little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Here are pics I just took tonight of the two bumps I feel are warbles growing inside my little baby --is he at risk due to his young age?
    Now I will BREATHE while I wait for the WISE ELDERS of this SITE to HELP ME and MY BABIES!!

FYI --Dipper was found on the ground laying in water a week ago, cold and wet.

DIPPER (4 wks old)

Default Re: 4 week old - Bot Fly

ANY ONE?
    ................ guess I will go to and check back in the morning

Poor precious baby! I have one now 5 weeks old with 2 warbles on her back. I am just keeping an eye on them for now. I do not like to remove bot-flys if they are not interfering with body functions. If baby can eat, see, pee/poop with no problem then just leave them alone. It is very hard to just let them stay there, always makes my skin crawl-ugh!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

8th Crow Wing Lake, Hubbard County, MN, USA

Maybe a boost of nutrition will help ease the burden. Removing the bot larva is pretty traumatic, so as long as they're not really 'harming' the baby by making it hard to eat, breathe, etc, it's best to let them mature and drop out.

Eeeeek!! --but ok I will wait and watch ..... it will be hard, but I will do it.

Question Re: 4 week old - Bot Fly

QUESTION:
    When they do emerge..... will they be larva or full fledged Bot Fly (with wings and all)?

The length of time the larva spends in the host (including in the pupa form) is about 3 weeks.

Ok - so I will prob see the larva (once its out) and be able to it?

It will form a pupa (cocoon) and then the pupa will drop out when it is ready. You'll have a big hole/pocket left over from it.

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garden71 View Post
    I am with YOU!! --

Maybe we should form a bot fly warble support group. I have 2 that have had multiple warbles and still not used to them they are really nasty! Poor little Kona is so swollen and his is oozing.

Quote Originally Posted by ques96 View Post
    Maybe we should form a bot fly warble support group. I have 2 that have had multiple warbles and still not used to them they are really nasty!
    Poor little Kona is so swollen and his is oozing.
    While it is gross.... I would like more real life pics of the warble stages so we can know what to look for --know what is going to happen. I just like to be informed.

QUESTION:
    The two warbles are starting to ooze --is this a sign they are getting ready to emerge?

Not really, just that it has reached a certain age/size. Yeah, got a little one here with one, it moved location but is still there-It is driving me crazy, I don't know how the squirrels stand them! When people get one all they want is for it to be removed-ugh-nasty things.
    Anne
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Its been about 10 days since I posted about DIPPER having having 2 botflies on his back and
    I wanted to post a few pics to show every one how they progress in appearance in case some
    one might want to look at for future reference..... they are starting to have drainage.

They are bigger in size, have entrance hole, with drainage. (10 days)

tinfoil ------- >

Yup-nasty gross things for sure. Looks like anytime now, they will drop out. Older ones are black looking!
    Anne

George Bernard Shaw

It will get worse before it gets better....You will be able to see it looking at you and moving its ugly head around in there.
    I hate them.....there are plenty on you tube if you want to see....

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Just thought you would like some more info. Kona's bot fly warble came out tonight. His wound right before looked like the one on your baby's side so that one is probably any day now. The one on the neck I would guess has another week or so. Here are some pictures of it. I will get pictures of the hole left behind tomorrow. It was pretty rough on him so I wanted to give him some time after I irrigated to flush out any remaining gunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast