Thread: Inside thigh wound, maggots.

Default Inside thigh wound, maggots.

I was given a five week old grey squirrel baby. He was only one who survived. He was found under a tree, two siblings dead. He had a little blood on his nose , and his inner thigh is open and was teaming with small maggots. I cannot find Capstar tonight, I looked in three animal stores. He is very weak. I am hydrating him, and flushing wound and taking off maggots. I am afraid they are internal as when I set him down, there are drops of blood. I have seen them in his rectum. I have raised several squirrels, but never with this nasty problem HELP!!What could have caused this injury? Crows, hawk, fall from his tree? Can any other meds kill the nasties??

Default Re: Inside thigh wound, maggots.

Capstar is all that I know to do about it. Do you have a Walmart anywhere near you? Call their pet department if you do and ask if they have it.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I checked Country Max, Farm and Family and Walmart. No one had it. I will call my vet in the AM.

For now, do you have Dawn dish detergent? A sponge bath with a bit of Dawn in warm water would be better than nothing for now. You want to get as many off of him as possible.

Thanks, Yes, already gave him a bath and flushed out with diluted peroxide. He finally pooped and some came out too!! He looks much better that way than before.

I am not an expert, but I can tell you my experience. I had a newborn kitten one time that the mother abandoned her and by the time I found her, she had maggots coming out of her eyes and nose, and the poor thing was still alive, but I just flushed and flushed with hydrogen peroxide.
    She unfortunately didn't make it, but getting the maggots out, I just had to keep cleaning and flushing. It's so nasty. I am sorry this poor little guy is going through this.
    You have great people working with you here!

Very diluted betadine maybe but, not peroxide. Peroxide is pretty hard on the tissue that is raw.

Little squirrel died early this am. He was so thin and weak, too far gone by the time I got him. Poor little thing.