Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrawny Guy & Butch, the one eyed wonder boys!!

Question Scrawny Guy & Butch, the one eyed wonder boys!!

One of my backyard friends, Scrawny Guy, was missing for a couple weeks, and when I briefly saw him just now, I could see one of his eyes was whited out. At first I thought the eye might be missing, but I think it's just whited out. He left before I could get a pic, but if he comes back, I'm going to try & get a quick video to post. It looked like there could have possibly been either an infection or injury, but I'm not sure. Just wondering of some possible reasons?

Default Re: What are some possible reasons for a whited out eye? (is that definite blindness

it could be caused by an infection (there's been a couple of cases in this forum the last couple of weeks) or bad nutrition.

I would say likely infection (but that's my unprofessional opinion) but pictures are useful. Better opinions should be by soon.

------------

of course with a name like Scrawny Guy, may it is bad nutrition...

pics please

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: What are some possible reasons for a whited out eye? (is that definite blindness

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    it could be caused by an infection (there's been a couple of cases in this forum the last couple of weeks) or bad nutrition.

I would say likely infection (but that's my unprofessional opinion) but pictures are useful. Better opinions should be by soon.

------------

of course with a name like Scrawny Guy, may it is bad nutrition...

pics please
    yep, usually infection, nutrition or trauma...

Do you think you could feed him antibiotics if we told you how?

He was originally so small when we first met, and had the scrawniest tail I ever saw, but he's not scrawny now, he and his tail suddenly started growing one day, lol, but that'll always be his name. I have some antibiotics in my special emergency kit stash (thank you again Jackie!), so I could always pull out my kit and get a re-reminder from you guys on what to do, and try dosing him. I just came back from a dr appt, and of course he came back while I was gone, my mom was working in the garage with the door open, and she said he came in to see her 3 times, and she gave him a walnut, so it's at least a good thing that whatever happened to him, and wherever he's been the last couple weeks, he seems to be back, so I can try dosing him. I'm going to sit in garage right now with my camera to see if he comes again so I can post pic also, but I will surely need an antibiotic dosing update, and I've gotta open my emergency kit up and find meds.

Thank you all for your help, I haven't been on here in quite a while. I went into a deep funk when one of my dearest and sweetest regulars went missing, and I think maybe killed, and it's just been so hard to come on here and to read forums and talk and share with you all, but here I am, and I'm trying, and I thank you all.

p.s. opened my emergency kit, I've got 4 bottles of stuff. Cipro 500 mg, Pred 5 mg, looks like maybe Metacam 7.5 mg, and a liquid SMZ TMP 200/40/5?

The Cipro is probably perfect. Not expired? If you know his weight or can get a pic so that we can guestimate, we can tell you how much to give.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    The Cipro is probably perfect. Not expired? If you know his weight or can get a pic so that we can guestimate, we can tell you how much to give.
    No, fortunately the cipro is not expired. I've been outside already, and will be watching for him today. I'll keep you posted, hopefully with a video!

Quote Originally Posted by California Squirrel Lover View Post
    Thank you all for your help, I haven't been on here in quite a while. I went into a deep funk when one of my dearest and sweetest regulars went missing, and I think maybe killed, and it's just been so hard to come on here and to read forums and talk and share with you all, but here I am, and I'm trying, and I thank you all.

p.s. opened my emergency kit, I've got 4 bottles of stuff. Cipro 500 mg, Pred 5 mg, looks like maybe Metacam 7.5 mg, and a liquid SMZ TMP 200/40/5?
    HEY CALI...GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!! GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE. CHECK OUT SASSYSQUIRREL'S THREAD ABOUT MAGGIE http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...t-her-eye-Help

REGARDING YOUR LOST ONE...UNFORTUNATELY, IN MANY, IF NOT MOST CASES WITH WILD SQUIRRELS, IT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIPS WITH THEM. THEY LIVE IN THE MOMENT AND HAVE OTHER AGENDAS...AS MUCH AS WE LIKE TO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE FORMED A BOND WITH THEM, IF SOMETHING IN THEIR LITTLE HEAD TELLS THEM TO GO, THEY ARE GONE...AND WE ARE LEFT TO WONDER...
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

If it is an infection, you should start the Cipro ASAP to minimize any additional damage to the eye! Good luck, I hope you can help him.

Thanks you guys

I've only tried to give antibiotics once before to a wild, and it wasn't easy, cause he did not want to take it

If I remember right, I believe I ground up a pill (or part of a pill?), put it in a tiny container, and added a little water to it, and kept it in the refrigerator. I don't remember if I'm supposed to ground up a whole cipro pill or part of one, and how much water to add, and how much I'm supposed to dose? Maybe someone can remind me about dosing antibiotics, since it's been so long since I last tried? Or maybe I can find my old messages on here, and see if I kept the info. Any help is appreciated! (I have not seen him yet today)

I'll PM you the instructions for the pill, but you will need to know or guess the weight for the squirrel to properly dose. That's why I suggested a pic so that we all can guess. Also, I'm trying to remember the best ways that some people have found for dosing a wild. Perhaps not adding the water, doing the math on how much dry to give, and adding it to some peanut butter or something? I know there are threads out there, some relatively recent, but I can't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by California Squirrel Lover View Post
    Thanks you guys

I've only tried to give antibiotics once before to a wild, and it wasn't easy, cause he did not want to take it

If I remember right, I believe I ground up a pill (or part of a pill?), put it in a tiny container, and added a little water to it, and kept it in the refrigerator. I don't remember if I'm supposed to ground up a whole cipro pill or part of one, and how much water to add, and how much I'm supposed to dose? Maybe someone can remind me about dosing antibiotics, since it's been so long since I last tried? Or maybe I can find my old messages on here, and see if I kept the info. Any help is appreciated! (I have not seen him yet today)
    Once you have the mixed Ab solution made up (based on size of pill and weight of squirrel), you can add the correct amount of the AB solution to some peanut butter and then smear the AB/peanut butter mix onto a walnut. Toss the nut and make sure he eats it all. Sometime they will flick off some of the peanut butter so I tend to make to err on dosing a little bit too much rather than too little or exactly the right amount. Good luck.

Thanks guys! I have the antibiotic mixture all made up, just been waiting for him to come back. I don't like the waiting, makes me nervous! I've got everything ready, though, plus have video camera ready. He knows us well, so at least it's not like he'll run from me. On the contrary, he comes racing over when he sees me. He has a wonderful personality, and I'll do my best to help him.

I sent you the dosage guide. Do you understand how to dose by weight? Can you guess his weight yourself?

Cali Squirrel Lover welcome back I've really missed ya girl and Tiny Baby...(I haven't given up on him yet) Hope Scrawney Guy gets his scrawney butt over to the cabana for some treats (healthy spiked treats) Love ya girl and praying for y'all
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    I sent you the dosage guide. Do you understand how to dose by weight? Can you guess his weight yourself?

Yes, thank you for your PM (sorry if I forgot to PM you back). I got your info, and also saw my old message from Jackie when I tried dosing a long time ago. I read it all, and believe I figured it out, being careful not to overdose. I'm still waiting around for him. I just dosed two different things, hoping if he does not take one thing, he'll eat the other. I'll post again later, going back to keep an eye on the yard. Thank you again!

Good thoughts and many prayers for you. Good Luck CSL .

Thank you, all my squirrel friends

He was here! I got some video, I will need my husband's help uploading it, I've totally forgotten how, so I'll do my best to get video up tonight. His eye did, in fact, look really icky and infected. Maybe all the white could actually be pus? And the inner corner looked kinda bloody. It did not look good, BUT, he's still super full of energy, so I took that as a very good sign at least, AND, he took the medicine! I think that may have been my first successful dosing of antibiotics! :bounce2 I'm so glad he came back and stayed a while, so I got a much better look, and YES, he ate the walnut laced with cipro!!

Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast