Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrawny Guy & Butch, the one eyed wonder boys!!

Default Re: What are some possible reasons for a whited out eye? (is that definite blindness

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    if he didn't eat which doesn't seem like he had time...I think I'd try again...and I don't think any real harm will come to another squirrel accidentally getting 1 dose and I know sometimes the vet will have you give an initial double dose so if Scrawny Guy does get both I wouldn't think it'd be that bad...upset stomach....loose stool...but not life threatening I'm certainly not an expert but I'm just using plain ole common sense....hopefully if it's a problem someone else will let us know
    Thank you Sweep! (Sweep?! That ok? LOL!)

Default Re: What are some possible reasons for a whited out eye? (is that definite blindness

tinfoil Scrawny Guy!! Hello?? You need to come take your meds!! tinfoil

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

actually in this case... I would drizzle 0.4 ml SMZ-TMP into a semi cracked pecan.... it's sweet and sticky and broad spectrum...
    the sqs hands will get all gooey and he'll groom... it's one of my sweet sq secrets...
    it tastes good and sqs actually like it....cipro is good too, but it tastes like crude and sqs know it, throw it down usually.
    just what I would do...
    twice a day is ideal but once will work... continue for two weeks if possible, but even a few days will allow the sqs immune system to bulk up and allow healing.
    I do know of resistance issues, this is a wild sq and not to be concerned with all that mumbo jumbo... getting him treatment is what matters....

good to see you back, and as MJS shared...it is a very tough relationship being friends with sqs... heart breaking at times.... but they can be so entertaining too...
    I still recall the way Lisa's feet sounded on my deck as she ran for her treats and she has been gone for 6 years...
    she will always be with me....that's strong character... they are powerful little fluffy butts.
    Thank goodness for sqs

glad you're back...where's the pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by California Squirrel Lover View Post

Thank you Kelly I'm glad to hear stories like the one about Lucy, what a sweet, tough girl! I hope my Scrawny Guy will do just as well, no matter what happens with his eye.

Question, though, What do you do if they run off with the medicine dosed nut?? My boy was just here and took off with the walnut piece with the cipro!! Yesterday he sat right with me and ate it. Now I don't know if he ate it or hid it, but my bet is that he hid it, because he came back again. Now what?! Now do I have to worry about another squirrel finding it and eating it? And what about him, I don't know if he got his meds for today. What do you do in these situations?
    As Jackie said the SMZ is really tasty and they NEVER mind a nut with that in it but that my be hard for you to get. I think you said all you had was the cipro.
    My Lucy had days like yours as well. Hit or miss on the AB.
    First off my wilds only get pecans as treats. I call it Pecan Sunday. Usually only on Sundays. So when they get those? They don't hide it but I had days that Lucy only got one dose a day and days when Lucy didn't show. I remember because I was so worried about her. She is wild so what you can get in, gets in. It is bound to help. Nothing like standing vigil with a loaded nut and they are a no show or you can't watch them eat it. It is hard I know. Hang in there.
    If he is scrawny will he eat other goodies? Like Henrys wild bites? Veggies, Avacado?
    Please keep us posted and bless you for working so hard to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by California Squirrel Lover View Post

Thank you Kelly I'm glad to hear stories like the one about Lucy, what a sweet, tough girl! I hope my Scrawny Guy will do just as well, no matter what happens with his eye.

Question, though, What do you do if they run off with the medicine dosed nut?? My boy was just here and took off with the walnut piece with the cipro!! Yesterday he sat right with me and ate it. Now I don't know if he ate it or hid it, but my bet is that he hid it, because he came back again. Now what?! Now do I have to worry about another squirrel finding it and eating it? And what about him, I don't know if he got his meds for today. What do you do in these situations?
    Double dose will not hurt him. The lethal dose is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH higher than the therapeutic dose you are giving. And a single dose if another squirrel finds the AB laced nut will not hurt it either.

:wott:wott

Thanks you guys, now I feel a lot better!! I think I actually do have SMZ-TMP in my emergency kit, but I had no idea what it was!! A certain someone on here sent me an extremely handy emergency kit of important stuff some time ago, and dates are all still good, I will double check though. (THANK YOU JACKIE!! )

He's actually not scrawny anymore, but that'll always be his name, I've called him that for so long now! He ate the cipro nut day before yesterday with no problem, I think he was just not hungry when I saw him yesterday, and was in the mood for his little hiding nut game with me.

My mom has been asking me if we should try to catch him with the havahart cage we have, but I told her I don't know, I didn't think it was necessary if he's still running around full of energy and we keep giving him antibiotics. I know if it's not absolutely necessary, it's not a good idea, because it scares them and stresses them so badly.

So far, I have just the one video of his eye posted on this thread, if any of you want to see it. I'd like to get new pics today, if I can. I thought the eye looked less white and more red yesterday.

Thank you all for the welcome back, that means a lot to me.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Double dose will not hurt him. The lethal dose is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH higher than the therapeutic dose you are giving. And a single dose if another squirrel finds the AB laced nut will not hurt it either.
    yep..agree... not dangerous to double dose, actulaly better than none at all...

Sooo good news all the way around....and Sweeps is good

I need to find out how to get a hold of some SMZ-TMP....especially since I'm releasing my babies to the wild and that sounds perfect for dosing...even tempting mmm...mmmm good Jackie has lots of secrets up her squirrelie sleeve
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Thank goodness for the secrets up her squirrely sleeve!!

My SMZ-TMP does not have a date, I don't think. Here's what the bottle says: SMZ TMP 200/40/5 I'd have to check my PM's to see how many months ago Jackie sent it to me.

In general, if a squirrel starts taking some doses of cipro, but then refuses, is it ok to switch antibiotics like that?

It's 6:30 pm, still light out, but my boy's been a no show so far today. I'm still in my bathrobe!!! I never got ready today, afraid I'd miss him, lol, so I'm rockin' the frazzled bathrobe lady look, LOVELY

I say, if I don't see him this evening, he WILL be here tomorrow

Thanks for caring so much!

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Thanks for caring so much!
    I can't help it, I can't leave this house 'til I see him again LOL!!

Thank you for your help and support!

any news on Scrawney Guy?

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

any news on Scrawney Guy?
    Of course not, that would be to easy!! I swore I would not leave the house until he came back, but I needed a handful of groceries, so I briefly went out. I only left out some avacado, two little dishes of it, and when I got back, it was ALL gone!! That little booger may have come by while I was at the store, but I can't be certain. He does love avacado though, so it could have been him. Now we're doing things outside, and leaving the back door open, so if he comes along the fence, he'll either hear us or see the open door. OH, also, as soon as we got back, the guy next door fired up his power tools again!! No power tools at the moment, though, so I'm praying this won't be one of his marathon power saw projects. LOL, I spoke too soon, there's the power saw again!!

Please send prayers and positive thoughts that my boy comes back and takes his meds. His energy was great the day before yesterday, so I'm staying positive and certainly not giving up on him.

This is what it's like waiting and waiting for a squirrel...

......and waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.....ok Scrawney Guy it's time

Love ya Cali Squirrel Lover...you have a heart of GOLD!!

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

......and waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.....ok Scrawney Guy it's time

Love ya Cali Squirrel Lover...you have a heart of GOLD!!
    Oh Sweeps, this is RIDICULOUS, the guy next door is already in his yard making so much noise, slamming the back door, SLAMMING piles of wood, and using different loud power tools I told you before how bad they fight next door, I'm talking, I can hear IT ALL, and I don't want to hear it all!! I've never heard people fight this loud, and it's been in a bad cycle again lately, and these noisy backyard projects ALWAYS increase when the fighting is bad. I'm praying it doesn't interfere with my Scrawny Guy coming today. Please, please, please Lord, help him get here today and take his medicine. OH, but I did see another of my regulars, who got a nasty scratch by the back corner of one of his eyes, but it's looking better today, AND, one of my little ones came limping to see me today, with a hurt front paw! He was able to hold his food, though, so I'm hoping his paw will soon heal. He did eat a couple of nuts laced with echinacea That's it, please no more injuries!!

Going back to look for Scrawny. I left the back door open while I type this real quick, he'll come right in if it's open! Love ya too Sweeps!!

OK, have not seen Scrawny Guy today either. I'm not giving up on him, though. It's still light out, and back door is still wide open.

Scrawny where are you ??????

Momma has some goooood nuts for you.

Hope to hear he made an appearance. I bet he is off miracle healing himself.
    Thinking of you both

Keep the faith! Scrawny guy will be back!

Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast