Thread: Hurt wrist

Default Hurt wrist

Hi everyone. My little boy Grayson hurt himself somehow over the last 2 hours. He was in his cage but I have no idea what might have happened.

So he's either broken or sprained his wrist. No obvious wound, so I'm going to assume he caught it on something.

He's in obvious terrible pain because he's got the white tears and he just wants to curl up on my chest. I can't get him to a vet until Monday, so I'm ***hoping*** it's just a sprain. When I try and manipulate his hand he squeaks and tucks into my arm in a ball. I held him to the water bottle and he drank, so I set him down in the cage. He held his arm up against his body and it's obviously swollen but not hugely from what in can tell. He tried to pick up a piece of avocado and couldnt use that hand but he is eating.

I have a boatload of Tramadol 50 mg tablets. I can crush one and mix it with water, but I don't know the dosing.

Please help. My little boy is hurting

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

LR (11-03-2017)

Default Re: Hurt wrist

A weight is needed to dose meds.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Coffeeculturegvl (11-03-2017), LR (11-03-2017)

Sorry. Of course.
    Just weighed him.
    Exactly 16 oz, with high confidence since he stayed really still.

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    A weight is needed to dose meds.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

cava (11-03-2017), LR (11-03-2017)

I'll sent a PM with dosing info.

Poor Grayson.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (11-03-2017), Coffeeculturegvl (11-03-2017), Mel1959 (11-03-2017), Nancy in New York (11-03-2017), stepnstone (11-04-2017)

New problem in addition to the wrist.
    Grayson is snotty nosed and whistle-y.
    The fur around his eyes is turning the same weird darker orange/rust they did when he was sick before and a hint of the white tears are back.
    After his bout with whatever respiratory illness he had a few months back that almost killed him, I'm quick to think I should administer antibiotics asap.
    Or, is this common for a squirrel in pain to start exhibiting congestion and wheezy/whistling breathing?
    He got a normal for weight dose of tramadol around 730pm and it's now 1am. He wasn't snotty at 10pm when I checked on him but I did notice some whistling/clicking to his breathing which came and went. And actually... I think I heard some clicking earlier today but he was so playful and active it didn't really register til just now.
    It's late, so I'll probably dose antibiotics tonight (using his prior AB dose as the guide) just to be safe in case I don't get any response tonight and then either continue or discontinue them tomorrow based on advice.

Thank goodness today it looks like it was just a bad sprain. He's favoring that foot, but he is using it and he is running around. He's obviously feeling a lot better. He isn't snot-nosed and whistling anymore either. He's making me look bad and reactionary. Hopefully things will remain on the upswing but he's not going to like it when I put him back in his cage for the rest of the day just to be safe.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

SammysMom (11-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeculturegvl View Post
    Thank goodness today it looks like it was just a bad sprain. He's favoring that foot, but he is using it and he is running around. He's obviously feeling a lot better. He isn't snot-nosed and whistling anymore either. He's making me look bad and reactionary. Hopefully things will remain on the upswing but he's not going to like it when I put him back in his cage for the rest of the day just to be safe.

Been there. Last year I had a squirrel who was going for death by ingestion. The things she found hidden in the back of a closet, stink bugs, chap stick, a Revolution that was securely stored in a hard to open tin, etc. It's good to be on your toes, shows how much you care. The same sweet cow hurt her wrist jumping one day and I was really worried, but she got a dose of infant ibu and by the next day, it's like it never happened. Little stinkers!

Death by ingestion. That's Nugget's route by choice I think. Not too long ago he got an ibuprofen and ate maybe a third of it. Went to little squirrel ICU for a night to make sure he wasn't toxic. All turned out fine. But yesterday I brought a jar of turmeric powder into the room and left for FIVE MINUTES. That thing is sealed and heavy. He managed to get it off the dresser and onto the bed and had half the label ripped off and I swear he was going to open that thing for himself. I walked in and he gave me this guilty look and ran off. And now I have the six rescue babies from Irma, and it's total chaos here. My arms look like I have the plague from all the spastic baby climbing and play wounds the big boys inflict. I actually wrote in Sharpie on my one arm "My squirrels did it" and on the other arm "Squirrel Abuse" just so I won't get the sideways glances and a step away from me at the grocery store kind of thing.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

cava (11-04-2017)