Thread: 1 yr. old Grey Non releasable very sick!!! Don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!!

Default 1 yr. old Grey Non releasable very sick!!! Don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!!

This baby was raised and released Sept 2013, gone for 5 months on his own and returned for help after being beat up, bitten and unstable in his balance. Took to vet, got ear meds and was doing better. Twice I gave him meds for ears and they cleared up but continue to return so I have had him captive for 6 months now.

Point being he is throwing up severely and very lethargic and weak, which just came on in the past 24 hrs, and does not look like he will last long if I don't do something!! He did escape a couple days ago and fall into a back water pond, but spent time inside so he was dry... could it be a parasite problem???
    He was sluggish night before last but seemed fine in am on Friday. I had to work 12 hour days and he was in an outside cage til late 10ish in evenings. Been 40ish but not severe... Last night he had low body heat and listless when I went to bring him inside.
    Knew he didn't feel good so just put him in his nest to sleep after holding him for about an hour. This morning he was up, and just laying on his perch looking out the window. I saw in his water bowl that he had thrown up and it was green..... got fresh water and gave him another drink which he gladly took...slowly, but as soon as he was done he ran to the side of my bed and just pucked it all out....twice and a lot for a squirrel!!! So sad, then two more times and it was yellow bile and did have bad odor but not strong.... His eyes are heavy but look clear. Have not seen if he's going to the bathroom or not??? Have been gone for 5 days and just home short time but he just got this sick last night.

Gave him some antibiotic that I had from earlier but as I gave it to him he threw up big time!!! yellow bile and again, and again but just small amount came out!!! What Do I do and what could be cause of this???? Also got pedialite and gave him maybe one cc and he threw up right away!!!!! He was in an outside cage..... could this be poisoning????

Please help, will try to check this often all night!!!

Default Re: 1 yr. old Grey Non releasable very sick!!! Don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!!

MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE WILL BE HERE SOON...KEEP HIM HYDRATED...IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. COULD HE HAVE GOTTEN OVERHEATED WHILE YOU WERE GONE? INSECT BITE (SPIDER)? WHAT HAS HE EATEN SINCE HE'S BEEN BACK HOME?
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

Default Re: 1 yr. old Grey Non releasable very sick!!! Don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!!

It could be many things, but offering hydration (water or sugar water) is probBly a good idea.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

OK a few questions:
    *If you were gone for 5 days, as you said, what was he eating in the meantime? Could his food have gone bad, or moldy, or whatever? Toxins and mold can cause vomiting and lethargy for sure.

*What is his cage made of? Do you have raccoons in your area and do they ever get up on his cage or anywhere near it?

* Can you try to hydrate him VERY slowly? Just a tiny bit every 1/2 hour or so, so maybe he can keep it down? Otherwise he may need sub-Q fluids.....do you have a squirrel-friendly vet by any chance? (I know, hardly anyone ever does.....)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I see you are from the Midwest. Arkansas is legal to have squirrels. You would not want to say you were from another state, but I bet you could take him to a vet in AR.

Quick run down of situation. He is in an inside cage at night and outside cage during day. I would have to leave him about 10 am til 10pm at night then get home and bring him inside. No raccoons near that I know of. Have another release (foxer) who is wild in trees and very healthy.

His cage is just a small 3 level cage that gives him a chance to get some sun. He has balance issues from past injury/ear infection. His diet needs improved but he hasn't been eating much all week. I have my own business and had no choice but to do the best I could with neighbors checking on him during the day. It just really hit yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRocko View Post
    This baby was raised and released Sept 2013, gone for 5 months on his own and returned for help after being beat up, bitten and unstable in his balance. Took to vet, got ear meds and was doing better. Twice I gave him meds for ears and they cleared up but continue to return
    I assume you meant 2012??

What was/is wrong with ears that "continue to return?"
    What was the (ear) meds for?

Edit: Must have been typing at same time...
    Does he still have ear infection now?

I am an old country girl and know something about back water ponds! They often contain Giardiasis ( a single cell parasite that inhabit the intestinal tract) Incubation 1 to 2 weeks.

Some symptoms:
    Dehydration
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea with watery, frothy, voluminous and smelly stools.
    Abdominal cramping and discofort
    Weight loss
    Flatulence
    Fatigue
    Not all symptoms may be present.

Treatment: Supportive care
    Administer fluids
    Control vomiting.Metoclopramide Hydrochloride (Raglan) 0.2-0.5mg/kg by mouth 3-4 times a day for 3 days as needed.
    Control diarrhea with Metronidazole (Flagyl) 25mg/kg every 5 days or Fenbendazole 50mg/kg by mouth every 3 days or Albenazole 25mg/kg by mouth every 12 hours for two days. You can but Flagyl at the pet store fish department as Fish Zole.
    I had a friend in high school that died from drinking Giardia infested water from a swimming hole. This can be passed on to you or other animals, please wear gloves and wash your hands as much as possible.Disinfect with bleach, soak food and water bowls and all cage accessories in bleach solution for at least 10 minutes after scrubbing with soap and hot water.
    Good luck! I will keep checking back to see how he is doing.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

I had that thought Anne, but I'm from the country myself and have never heard of a back water pond. So, I didn't speak! Good posting!! Giardiasis is very possible, and usually exhibits with a very loose and foul smelling stool!

sid'smommy Guest

He may have hit his head when falling... concussion symptoms. But, its more than likely a bad food thing. He was probably a little stressed with a new caretaker as well. (Hopefully, they followed your instructions about feeding)Going inside and outside everyday in the summer may not be good for him either if you have air conditioning. Thats a drastic change everyday.... I would just put the cage by a window for sun.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Please update RR63

I'm sorry to say that my baby crossed the bridge.... thanks for trying to help.... I am lost and so sad he is gone but he is now free and happy again...

sid'smommy Guest

Oh my... Im so sorry There have been several cases just like this recently... I wonder if there is a commom denoninator here.

Godspeed little one...

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRocko View Post
    I'm sorry to say that my baby crossed the bridge.... thanks for trying to help.... I am lost and so sad he is gone but he is now free and happy again...

I am so very sorry to read this.
    Rest in Peace
    Precious Baby. Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 88
Size:  701 Bytes

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. The tears just keep flowing... I don't know what to say except again Ièm sorry.

R.I.P. sweet little angel. You will not be forgotten.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

RIP sweet little squirrel.

You were loved and you will be missed.