Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my 4 week old baby squirrel

Default Need help with my 4 week old baby squirrel

I saved a baby squirrel and have had him for a week and a half. H has been perfectly fine until today. He hasn't wanted to eat all day, he is making whimpering sounds, and now his belly seems bloated. He has been laying around all day and hasn't been active like he has been. What is wrong with him?

jbillings Guest

Default Re: Need help with my 4 week old baby squirrel

You've came to the right place for help! Firstly, thank you for saving this baby! Secondly, what are you feeding him?

I am feeding hi petlac kitten milk replacement. I'm giving him about 4cc's every 3-4 hours.... I'm really attached to him and really don't want anything to happen to him. I'm afaid he won't make it thru the night and really want to help him. I read online to give him some crushed up tums mixed with water so I also gave him that about 3 hours ago.

sid'smommy Guest

Does he have a white line across the belly ? are you stimulating him to poop/pee ?

sid'smommy Guest

when was the last time he went?

Hi and if he is bloated please don't feed him any more. No food until the bloat goes way sometimes warm water soaks are a good way to get things moving. Someone with more experience will be along to help you more. Also we need to get the little one off the kitten replacement and on to a proper formula. FOX VALLEY is what we all use.

I have been simulating him everytime after he drinks. The last time he drank was at 3pm 11 hours ago! The last time I simulated him was about 3-4 hours ago. He went #1 and #2. He is also very cold I have a heating pad under his shoe box but he doesn't stay close to it. He crawls up to the top layer of the blankets away from the heat

sid'smommy Guest

That is not the correct formula for a baby squirrel, and its not digesting well. We will address that later. Right now, we need to correct this problem. Stop feeding formula for the night, and give warm water with a pinch of sugar. Thier food must always be very warm, as well as thier body in order to eat and digest. Is the baby kept on a heating pad ?

jbillings Guest

Please stop the kitten milk ASAP! It is not good for them. The best thing you can do for him is to get canned goat milk, heavy cream and plain yogurt. After that, go on line to Chris's squirrels and more and order Fox Valley formula which is specially formulated for squirrels. In the meantime for the bloating issue, you can give simethicone for babies. Put a tiny bit on a toothpick and let him lick it off. I'm gonna look for the forum with the mixing directions for the goat milk mixture. Be right back!

sid'smommy Guest

Ok, I got answers before askin the questions Never never never feed the baby when hes cold... he may be going to the bathroom, but probably not enough. The rest is just sitting in there. You need to rub a bit of karo syrup on his gums, and warm him up so he will snap out of it. Time is not on your side right now.

The kitten stuff is bad, ditch it. You'll need to get some goat's milk until you can order the Fox Valley. Here's a link to the recipe:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ilk-Formula***

And here's a link to proper feeding technique - syringe pointed up, head pointed down, slow feeding:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

If you ever hear clicking when breathing, we need to know immediately.

Is his belly hard and round? It should feel more like a partially filled water balloon. If hard and round, no more food, just keep hydrating. You should also soak hi lower half in warm water and gently massage his belly and sides. If he's bloated with gas, a couple drops of infant simethicone (Gas-X) are in order.

Is he pooping and peeing? When did he last poop? What color? I assume you're stimulating him.

The Tums is unnecessary.

Are you keeping him warm? His container half on a heating pad set on low?

Yes I have him in a shoe box and a heating pad under the box. I have two layers of baby blankets in there plus one on top, but he is still very cold and will not stay under the blanket. He crawls up to the top layer of the blankets away from the heat. I will place an order for the fox valley squirrel formula ASAP. I just want to help him make it thru the night right now. I'm so afraid he won't make it. So the warm water and sugar will help? What if he doesn't take it with ease should I force feed him? And I should wait till he warms up right?

I don't have any karo syrup... Will water and sugar help? He last pooped about 3hrs ago twice. It was a greenish/ yellowish color. Similar to how it has been looking and he has been peeing too.

Do you have molasses? It's even better.

Is he dehydrated? Is his skin wrinkly? If you gently pinch the skin between the shoulders, does it tent or go right back down? If dehydrated, you might have to administer water drop by drop. If not, forcing it is unnecessary.

Are you going to answer about the conditions of his tummy? Are you going to do the water massaging? It will warm him up too. Can you go out and get infant simethicone?

jbillings Guest

Cardboard dehydrates them. Do you have a small Rubbermaid container that you could put him in? Sugar water will be ok for now.

You also might try a rice buddy and see if he'll cling to it and warm up. Put some rice or beans in a sock, tie it off, microwave it for a bit till warm, squish it around to avoid hot spots which burn, and place it next to him. You MUST make sure that he stays warm.

sid'smommy Guest

Yes, warm him first... put dry rice in a sock, and tie the end tight. Microwave it until its warm, and squish it around in your hands to check for hot spots. Doing the sugar water now probably wont work, his belly hurts and he doesnt want anything in there. Karo absorbs sugar thru the gums and will stimulate his weak body. If nothing else, make sugar water very sweet, dissolve sugar completely. Rub on gums with a qtip or your finger. When he is ready to eat, and warm, feed sugar water that just has a pinch of sugar.

sid'smommy Guest

HA! Farrelli beat me to it. jinx

sid'smommy Guest

I must get a few hours sleep before work in the morning. I will check back then

Sorry I'm trying to answer everyone's questions. His belly is not very squishy at all. It is pretty hard. The skin on his back tents a little not to much, I think, he is very furry and I can't really tell. No all I have for right now is sugar and I can't really go anywhere at the moment. I'm gonna try the warm bath and the rice sock right now. Anything else i should do???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast