Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FOX VALLEY & PINKIES: Discussion Thread

Default Re: FOX VALLEY & PINKIES: I NEVER thought I'd have to post this....

Do you prepare it at high heat and let it sit? Also, how do you tell old from new? We just have so many people coming in feeding Esbilac already that it would be good to know how to tell them if it's safe and how to prepare it in situations where they can't find GM or anything else for the time being. Thanks.

Here are pictures of Sage......First one is when I got her. Picked them up late on Friday the 3rd of August, this picture was taken on the 4th. The second picture was taken this morning - 10 days later. She was 34 grams at intake and weighted in at 74 grams this morning. That is 40 grams in 10 days.....even I am impressed with that.
    Name:  photo (4).jpg
Views: 355
Size:  1.15 MBName:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 348
Size:  1.16 MB
    State Of Georgia Licensed Squirrely Rehabilitator

Hi Farrelli - I get the hottest water straight out of the tap......and even microwave it (1/4 cup water for 15 seconds) if I have to. Then I mix my powder, shake, let it cool for just a second and then add my cream. I have NEVER had an issue with curdling so far.

The Caseys at Ewildagain.org (?) have the study on mixing with the hottest water possible.....not boiling by any means but hot enough to break apart the molecules that are not as water soluble. Apparently that is why Esbilace was such a bear to mix several years ago was from the butterfat....

I also try to mix at least an hour before feeding but sometimes that doesn't always happen.

Just tell people if they have not purchased a can yet that it HAS to have Dried Whey Protein CONCENTRATE (3rd ingredient on the list on the can).

If they buy the old stuff you will be battling the same old issues......diarrhea!!!
    State Of Georgia Licensed Squirrely Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I also premix mine and let it sit. I do it up ahead
    all of the time, at least a day before, sometimes I do larger
    batches and freeze. NEVER had problems, or perhaps I did last year.

What I did notice, and I even wrote about it.....was that I preload my syringes.(hate to keep the little ones waiting )
    When I did large numbers of squirrels, I had up to 70 preloaded syringes at a time,
    so they wouldn't have to wait. Last year I had to stop this practice.

I noticed that the ones that sat there for say, 30 minutes, all clogged in the
    nipple
    . When I squeezed the end of the nipple,
    the formula came out like cake writing decoration in a straight little line.
    Not every single one that sat, but enough so that I no longer preload that many.
    This tells me that even when premixed a day ahead, it seperates and clogs the nipples,
    if it clogs the nipples, it clogs the babies.
    Nancy ,when I had to pre-load and let syringes sit a while...I had the CLOGGING problem also.
    I solved it by loading the syringes---adding the nipples---and not filling the nipples with the Fox Valley.
    I kept the syringes in warm water..and as I removed each syringe...I placed the nipple in my lips--pushed the plunger to insure it wasn't clogged and was flowing smoothly...and then offered it to my waiting squirrels.

I found that my clogged syringes dropped by 90 %....
    Over the years I've probably drank a POUND of FV myself...

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    Nancy ,when I had to pre-load and let syringes sit a while...I had the CLOGGING problem also.
    I solved it by loading the syringes---adding the nipples---and not filling the nipples with the Fox Valley.
    I kept the syringes in warm water..and as I removed each syringe...I placed the nipple in my lips--pushed the plunger to insure it wasn't clogged and was flowing smoothly...and then offered it to my waiting squirrels.

I found that my clogged syringes dropped by 90 %....
    Over the years I've probably drank a POUND of FV myself...

Great idea stosh, thanks for sharing.
    But since you had clogged nipples also,
    that would suggest to us how fast this
    "settles" and clogs, which is not good for the babies. UGH!

Would it be ok to start giving Piti Goat milk exclusively tomorrow? I'm very worried. He should be fatter. I think i remember giving Chi Chi Kitty formula with bananas or yogurt mixed in. She was more plump. I'd like a response.

Yes, you can switch directly to GM. You will be adding the yogurt and cream though, right? GM is pretty thin as is and squirrels need more fat.

Have you tried the UltraBoost with FV though? Lots of people swear by it and PiTi is past the age of concern with FV, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    Would it be ok to start giving Piti Goat milk exclusively tomorrow? I'm very worried. He should be fatter. I think i remember giving Chi Chi Kitty formula with bananas or yogurt mixed in. She was more plump. I'd like a response.
    IR said not to worry if there has been no problem already. I'm sure she said she told you that too. If there is no problem you risk an actual problem by changing up formula unnecessarily!!! "Don't fix what ain't broke" says IR!! NO CAT FORMULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you would be switching back to FV at a couple of weeks old anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Yes, you can switch directly to GM. You will be adding the yogurt and cream though, right? GM is pretty thin as is and squirrels need more fat.

Have you tried the UltraBoost with FV though? Lots of people swear by it and PiTi is past the age of concern with FV, right?
    I have ultra boost, just wish he would look fatter.

How much does he weigh, and how old is he again?
    You know that you CAN give him more than the 5-7% of body weight.
    That is just a guideline for the newbies.
    You just have to watch for bloat, but if he wants more, at this age give it.
    You don't want hard tummies, that don't go down.
    I have never stayed in the rule of thump when they are older.
    IR just posted something about that too. I will look for what she said
    about the babies she has now. If I find it, I will post it here.

Is he gaining consistently on FV? I can't remember how old he is, but if you can see a milk line, does it always disappear before the next feeding?

I found what Maura posted in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sounds like hypoglycemic seizuring -- not enough nutrition. 4cc sounds VERY small as a portion for 6-wk olds. Two of my 2.5wk olds are already up to 6cc per feeding. My 4wk olds, eyes still closed, take 8-10cc per feeding. Yes I know Northern greys are larger than Florida greys, but not twice as large. Also, every 3 hrs for FV at their age is far too often.
    We can really help you so much better if we see a pic of them....can you post one?

He has been gaining weight Consistently. But his skin looks wrinkly at times, i pinch it and it stays, but on his tummy he seems full and good. I give him water 2 times a day,somtimes pedialite. All this talk of caked formula makes me think he might be plugged up. he poops, but its a challenge, he pee's good. wonder if there's something i could mix with the fox valley to ease the bowel movements without changing the eating habits. can i put yougurt in his fox valley?

I'm thinking he's 5 to 6 weeks.

If he's wrinkly and his skin is tenting, he sounds like he's a bit dehydrated. That would not only cause problems pooping (and potentially constipation), it would impede proper digestion of the formula. You might want to offer water (possibly with a bit of sugar in it) between feedings or dilute the FV a bit and offer more or more often. Pedialyte isn't great due to the salt and generally shouldn't be used unless there has been electrolyte loss, such as with diarrhea.

Nancy?

cordie Guest

I have been using half fv and half canine replacer, works great, good growth etc.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    As a wildlife rehabilitator and admin here, I can't live in denial anymore.
    There IS a problem with FV and very young pinkies....LESS THAN 5 days old.

For whatever reason, rehabbers all over the country are having difficulty with FV 32/40, even when combined with Ultra Boost, not being digested by very young pinky squirrels. The stuff stays in their gut for hours and hours....the milk line never moves. I saw it in my little Robbie, who died. Nancy in NY had the same experience with a pinky red, who died. UDoWhat had a similar experience and reported to me that others in her area were baffled by the same syndrome in their neonates on FV.

First off: if you are NOT rehabbing squirrels younger than 5 days old please do not panic about this. In fact, all of my six came in at about a week old or older, except Robbie, and they have been on FV and Ultra Boost and are doing GREAT. This is strictly a neonate issue, which most of you will not encounter.

I haven't spoken to Nick at FV yet, but I will. In the meantime, should you get in a very young pinky, it would be wise to start him on the Goat's milk formula and transition to FV at around 10 days old, to be on the safe side. (10 days is when the umbilical stump typically falls off. )

I welcome comments, corrections and suggestions to this thread; this is an ongoing discussion about an extremely serious issue and we need everyone's input.

IR

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    I'm thinking he's 5 to 6 weeks.
    Larry how often do you feed?
    What is his weight?
    Have his poops ever been golden colored?
    Dark poop is an indication of dehydration.

I have ALWAYS had great luck with the older
    babies on FV and Ultra Boost. That does NOT
    mean that everyone will. Just like this year,
    it is NOT working for my neonates.

Do you feed the 32/40 AND Ultra Boost?

We are NOT endorsing anything here, just sharing
    what works and doesn't work for us.

BUT if you feel that PiTi is having issues, lets deal
    with them.
    Can you post a photo of his tummy before you feed?

Are his eyes opened yet?

Larry, go to this thread and see these babies.
    6 are Maura's that she got in when they were tiny,
    one is mine.

I babysat them until spring release last year.
    Look at the sizes and the bellies, just scroll through fast
    if you wish.
    These were all raised on Fox Valley, Ultra Boost from the
    first day.

As I said I am not endorsing it, perhaps it has changed.
    I currently have my red neonates on the Goat's Milk formula.

This is what Fox Valley babies used to look like, and in Maura's
    case, this year they still do.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...he-Bronx/page7

Also, here is a picture of FV poops.

Name:  IMG_1414.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  143.0 KB

Just a thought, as I haven't read the entire thread. I am seeing the non moving milk lines in my 3 week olds also. I'm using 32/40 fv. I have also seen the fat clumping in the bottom of the cup even after heating it to above needed temps. My 2 girls still seemed to be hungry even with the milk lines still showing. In desperation I used mineral oil in hopes to get their systems moving and mixed the 32/40 3:1. Within 12 hrs they started pooping more and the milk lines have disappeared. I don't know if it will work for everyone but it has for me.
    "If God Brings You To It, He Will Bring You Thru It!!"

Without compassion, nothing else really matters

Why doesn't Larry just transition Piti to 20/50 with the ultraboost?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast