Thread: Will wild squirrels bury food if they are fed all summer?

deckwatcher Guest

Default Will wild squirrels bury food if they are fed all summer?

I started feeding squirrels on my deck this summer. Now I'm wondering if they will bury food for the winter. I've been feeding them Native Earth rodent blocks with some seeds and peanuts (in the shells). Will they starve if they don't get fed this winter? Should I stop before fall? What would happen if we sold our house in the fall and moved? I'm starting to get worried.
    Thanks.
    deckwatcher

Default Re: Will wild squirrels bury food if they are fed all summer?

Deckwatcher ....my squirrels feed and bury....this really isn't the time you see much storing. In the fall when the acorns start maturing...then you'll see them scurrying around getting their supplies in order....don't worry it's soooo ingrained in their psyche that even my inside squirrels who have never suffered the seasons or hunger...bury with great determination....they store away like starvation is knocking at the door soooo much for looking out for our furred friends
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

deckwatcher Guest

Hi Shewhosweptforest,
    I'm feeling more comfortable. Thanks! We will probably be here all winter and I can continue to give them food and water. Maybe I can get some acorns for fall.
    Thank you for responding,
    deckwatcher

Glad to ease your mind I hear that from my family all the time..."what will they ever do with out you?" I realize from observation that the time they spend at my feeders is just a tiny amount of the time they spend foraging this past Fall my Oaks produce very few acorns and I do believe my feeding really helped them make it through a particularly hard Winter....but most of the time...I really don't have to worry about them....and what I offer is just the icing on the cake a fun respite for them
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

I live in hot Florida. My wilds bury ALL year. And they are well fed little guys, between me, my neighbors and other folks in the neighborhood PLUS all the natural food. I used to get annoyed when they buried stuff I gave them - now I just laugh. It is their nature guiding them, not my pocketbook.
    Annie

Sqyrl Guest

Since the recent babies maturing, i now have about 8? squirrels i feed daily plus maybe 15 sparrows and 4? bluejays and whatever else happens to fly or crawl into the yard. I put out fresh water daily in a bird bath which has a screen to prevent birds from taking baths, so it's just for drinking... water is a primary concern... can go days without new food, but water is needed daily. Anyways, i put out more peanuts and pecans than the squirrels can eat, Some of the nuts get eaten but most are taken away and hidden and i doubt most of what i put out is ever really eaten. Yes i know a lol of nuts isn't the best thing for them, but what they don't eat doesn't count. I really think a squirrel is happiest when they have something to take away and hide/bury... it's their instinct. Before she disappeared, one squirrel would lay beside me until i gave her something to take away and hide. Squirrels are hyper active creatures and i guess hiding more than they can eat in 10 lifetimes makes them happy. I have tried putting out veggies... bought assortments at walmart... like for lunches or dipping, etc but almost none was eaten even if the peanuts were gone. I just shredded up the broccoli, carrots, pea shells, green beans, etc when i cut grass. Maybe my squirrels aren't the best fed, but they are happy!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.