Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIKE HAS MANGE! Treatment Info

Default MIKE HAS MANGE! Treatment Info

I need my day job back!!! I am sorry to be posting another thread but today was pretty frustrating!!! We have been treating Mike with the Ivermectin for the mange, and with cipro for the possibility of infection from his nose incident, but today his problems went another route!

I noticed fresh blood and dried blood on the lower part of his nose...then when he was trying to eat his pecan with cipro he struggled...using the side of his mouth. I tried to get a pic of the inside of his mouth but couldn't get my camera to focus. I was able to lay on the floor and look at his mouth...I think his top front teeth are broken..or gone???? Not sure??? He wouldn't eat avocado...only lick off the leftover almond butter/tahini mix on the blocks...I just kept giving those to him...he would drink the "liquid immune barrier" water we have for the wilds in a bowl and then look in the window for more almond mixture.

When we first saw him a few days ago we thought he was having a problems eating a peanut because of his nose issues...now we are concerned with blood on the block and on some apple pieces we put out.

(He is to old to fall out of a tree??? Car nipped him???)

Not a good day....I walked up and down the street to find him this evening...hope he comes tomorrow. Plan of action with food...cook a sweet potato soft and add a little molasses, soften some carrots and califlower...also, I ground up some Growth Block and mixed it with Almond Butter/Tahini and have that ready....any other suggestions or comments??? I will do what you think I should..this is tearing me up!!!!

Have some pics...but they don't really focus on his issue...
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Never, never be afraid to do what's right;
    especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake.
    Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our souls when we look the other way."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default Re: MIKE HAS MANGE, MAY HAVE MORE SERIOUS ISSUES

Oh, dear Lord, this just made me burst into tears!! Poor Mike. I have no idea what is going on, but I'll try to find someone to help.
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

Poor guy...any chance of bringing him in for treatment? Boo balls might help. Crushed up blocks with almond butter and Cipro?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

We have no vets here with squirrel experience, much less with teeth issues (if that is what it is). Praying he is here tomorrow, all I can do is feed him good foods!....so helpless. Maybe I could trap him, but then what??????
    Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our souls when we look the other way."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Boy this is a tough one.
    Ideally, he should be looked at by a vet. Without any upper teeth, I think his days would be numbered, as he
    will not be able to eat, and the bottom teeth will overgrow.
    Are his eyes alright, why do they look greyish to me in the photos?
    Am I seeing his pupils too? OR perhaps I am seeing reflections.
    He easily could have fallen. I have seen squirrels fight so viciously and chase
    each other right up a tree only to come falling down at the same time, and then
    right back up the tree again. They can be VERY territorial.
    If you see him tomorrow try to get some head on pictures of him.
    I know this is difficult, I really have no answers.
    Let me think on this some.........poor baby.
    Glad he has you to watch over him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMJS View Post
    We have no vets here with squirrel experience, much less with teeth issues (if that is what it is). Praying he is here tomorrow, all I can do is feed him good foods!....so helpless. Maybe I could trap him, but then what??????

Exactly.....then what.
    We need to get a plan before you do this.
    Perhaps someone close to you has a vet that will see him.
    It would have to be the same day that you trapped him though,
    stress can kill, and with him getting over mange, he is already compromised.
    I'm not sure how you are going to give him a good look without trapping him
    and taking him somewhere.
    UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Exactly.....then what.
    We need to get a plan before you do this.
    Perhaps someone close to you has a vet that will see him.
    It would have to be the same day that you trapped him though,
    stress can kill, and with him getting over mange, he is already compromised.
    I'm not sure how you are going to give him a good look without trapping him
    and taking him somewhere.
    UGH!
    maybe, if there is no vet found, at the very least: feed him, let him sleep all his wants, meds for potential infection?, observe at least until the teeth grow back? teeth usually take about 3 weeks or so to grow noticeably. And if no infection sets in, depending on what's going on with teeth - take it from there.

His teeth may grow back just fine and then - release.
    And if teeth do not grow back - by then a solution will come

soft foods and easy access to fresh water is what he needs right now. I worry if you trap him he will further mangle his mouth trying to escape. Poor guy!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Oh goodness...poor Mike...

Gonna look at some Boo Ball recipes to try on him...want him to come here for FOOD! Will also try to get some head on pic tomorrow! (Have to clean the glass on the french doors,,,the camera tries to focus on the spots!) Any other suggestions (food or otherwise) would be welcomed. We have never had much luck with wilds eating anything from Group 1 or Group 2 on the Henry's Diet List. Avocado, grapes, and apples...that's about it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think boo balls that i made were 50g each fv dry, crushed blocks and crushed nuts. Micro 20g coconut oil until liquid and add that and one small jar of baby fiod fruit. Plums were what i used. Mix it up even tho its very soft and put in fridge for 5 hrs or overnight. Roll into balls the size of a small hazelnut.
    You can add the cipro into one and give that first. Maybe more nuts in that one to be sure it gets eaten.

Add almond butter or nutella if he needs more enticement.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMJS View Post
    Gonna look at some Boo Ball recipes to try on him...want him to come here for FOOD! Will also try to get some head on pic tomorrow! (Have to clean the glass on the french doors,,,the camera tries to focus on the spots!) Any other suggestions (food or otherwise) would be welcomed. We have never had much luck with wilds eating anything from Group 1 or Group 2 on the Henry's Diet List. Avocado, grapes, and apples...that's about it.
    wilds will rarely if ever eat the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels .
    Why would they? they have so much more fun and delicious assortment all over them.

BUt some wilds will eat some of the following:
    1. belgian endive
    2. peeled cukes
    3. blackberries
    4. mango
    5. blueberries
    6. bananans
    7. pommegranate kernels
    8. brussel spouts (surprisingly, one or two at least picked them up and tried, don't remember it long-term, though)
    9. raspberries
    10. orange pieces (peeled, though)
    11. arugula and water-cress (sometimes)

Try different things and see what yours will eat.
    But don't expect them to eat a lot of greens, b/c they have tons of wild ones.
    What they will eat is mostly fruit and berries. But for them it's ok to have more than a pet squirrel's allotment of two small pieces per day because they expend more energy and can afford extra fruit.

Don't know your set up and what he will allow you to do, but
    you could also make FV and stir some natural almond/hazelnut butter (roughly 2:1 ratio) - it will give enough of nutty flavour and taste to entice him to eat.
    But again, how feasible and doable it is will depend on his trust and your set up.

But if he eats BooBalls - that should cover a lot of his needs.
    Just not knowing his injury, it's hard to tell whether even softer texture of BooBalls will be ok on his bleeding gums. If his gums are really raw and sore, even softer textures may feel harsh.
    again - a lot of observing will be needed

poor guy definitely needs some help

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Are his eyes alright, why do they look greyish to me in the photos?
    Am I seeing his pupils too? OR perhaps I am seeing reflections.
    NANCY...I BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE SEEING ARE REFLECTIONS, NOT PUPILS. (EVA WENT TO CLEAN THE WINDOW.) WE WILL CONCENTRATE ON THE FOOD FOR NOW AND CONTINUE WITH THE CIPRO. TOMORROW IS ALSO HIS LAST SCHEDULED IVERMECTIN DOSE. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH MIXING THE TWO TOGETHER ON THE SAME PECAN? WE MAY NEED TO TRY REVOLUTION ON THE MANGE WHICH HASN'T IMPROVED AS MUCH AS WE WOULD HAVE EXPECTED, IF AT ALL. IS THERE AN ORAL VERSION? IF SO, WE MAY BE ABLE TO PERSUADE OUT VET TO GIVE US SOME, NOT SURE.

IR...AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOUR CONCERN ABOUT TRAPPING NOW.

ASTRA...TRAPPING MAY ULTIMATELY BE OUR ONLY OPTION, BUT AS NANCY SAID, WE'D BETTER HAVE A COMPLETE PLAN IN PLACE FIRST. WE ARE GREATLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT HE HAD TODAY...HE SEEMS TO BE REGRESSING. I HOPE THAT WE CAN HELP HIM THROUGH THIS BY MAKING SURE THAT HE CAN EAT, RECOVER FROM THE MANGE, AND AVOID INFECTION. WE'LL SEE WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS.

" For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

There is always pecan ensure. Maybe a small dish of it?

ASTRA...JUST SAW YOUR LIST AND WE HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS WITH SEVERAL OF THE ITEMS ON IT. WE'LL KEEP TRYING...WHATEVER WORKS!!! TOO BAD HE'S NOT A HAND FEEDER. THAT WOULD MAKE IT SOOOO MUCH EASIER!!!
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    There is always pecan ensure. Maybe a small dish of it?
    GOOD CALL ON THAT...GOT A SIX PACK IN MY EMERGENCY KIT WE'LL TRY THAT TOMORROW!!!

Henry Beston

sid'smommy Guest

Im sure you already know this, but I seen some food suggestions, and thought I better say it : No citrus! ouch Everything else on the list looks great tho ..

Quote Originally Posted by sid'smommy View Post
    Im sure you already know this, but I seen some food suggestions, and thought I better say it : No citrus! ouch Everything else on the list looks great tho ..
    THANK YOU...I KNEW THAT (SOMEWHERE IN THERE) BUT HADN'T THOUGHT OF IT YET

Henry Beston

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast