Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment for Fleas

Default Re: Treatment for Fleas

Flees?? What happens when you expose a flea to a squirrel-safe insecticide? It flees!!!

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Sarah Guest

Would misting wild squirrels with the liquid flea spray do any good, or do they need to be drenched?

Unfortunately I had a wild one in my hands this week and was amazed how may fleas he had.

Thanks!

SArah I think it could help, so long as you're using a spray that's safe for cats AND KITTENS. I would not use the drops or anything made for dogs. It may not get rid of all the fleas, but it sure might help. Just watch the eyes, of course, since these are wild kids who might turn and face the spray, thinking they're being attacked.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Sarah Guest

Thanks Island!

Thumbs up Re: Treatment for Fleas

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    I have used Dawn dish detergent (the blue one) and it works great and is safe.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest...... I use it on my dogs all the time and they have never had problems with to many fleas.
    You can use Joy (yellow) if you cannot find Dawn, but I personally think Dawn works better.

TanquerayG Guest

What about Capstar, a pill you can give them? I found it on a Squirrel Rehab website.

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/prod...57/Capstar.htm

I have a wild squirrel, Snockers, I let in the house and feed. I can't touch him with powder or spray. I'd like to get rid of the fleas so I don't get any disease or fleas. And I would like him to be more comfortable...scratches every 30 seconds.

Critter_Queen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TanquerayG
    What about Capstar, a pill you can give them? I found it on a Squirrel Rehab website.

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/prod...57/Capstar.htm

I have a wild squirrel, Snockers, I let in the house and feed. I can't touch him with powder or spray. I'd like to get rid of the fleas so I don't get any disease or fleas. And I would like him to be more comfortable...scratches every 30 seconds.
    If you can't touch him with powder or spray, how would you administer the Capstar? It's oral.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammas Baby
    First of all, getting a disease is probably the last thing you have to worry about. It's VERY unlikely. I always thought Capstar was more for maggots, than fleas.
    Capstar is what I use for fleas on kittens and puppies. It doesn't keep them from getting reinfested though. If you put them right back out where the fleas are then they'll end up right back with the fleas. It doesn't have any residual effect.
    TanquerayG, It's very kind of you to want to take the very best care of your wild fuzzers. It's so cool that Snockers trusts you so much.

TanquerayG Guest

Snickers eats most of what I give him so I figure I can crush up the tablet (I suspect 1/4 tab is right for his size) and mix with peanut butter. He will get the fleas again but maybe I could do it once in a while...more effectively so in the winter. His sleep mate is hanging around the house (the nest they moved into is above our house) so I could get them both de-flead at the same time.

I heard about Capstar from the rehab website for fleas for sure. My guess is that it is good enough but the powders are better if you can get a safe grip on the critter.

I am suspecting Snickers is a girl. The many photos of Mr Bean is helping. Snickers is about 9 months old. If a girl, I look forward to having kids visiting in the Spring. By the way, I do try to feed Snickers enough to help but not create a dependence...got to keep them ready to live on their own.

Critter_Queen Guest

If it's the only way to get rid of her current infestation, it's worth a shot. Critters that get too many fleas can become anemic and can die from it...so if you can kill a couple rounds of them (say two weeks apart), she will probably be ok through the winter since you live in Boston.

Just be VERY careful how you dose it. It's a fairly safe drug, but you can give too much. Let us know when you get it (is available at your local vet if you need it) and we'll help you with the dosing. Try to get the small dog tabs...those will be easier to work with.

I get mine at the farm center, it's cheaper then at the vets.

Suzie Guest

If there only a few fleas, I make them away with my fingers and "knack"!.

Have the squirrels many fleas, I use Stronghold (Selamectin). It is for little kitten and it is very good for squirrels. No toxic reactions.

kentuckynut Guest

I have cats and a dog that I treat monthly for fleas.
    I use advantage on my cats.
    I raised 3 squirrels from about 3 weeks of age and released them in July. They were roughly 5 months old.
    The male left the cage / free to the outside / area I have for them on my back porch the second day he was exposed to freedom. He never came back to the cage area. The 2 girls came and went. This week, one of the girls must have gotten into something a neighbor put out because she died. I think she was poisoned. Her sister stays close to their sanctuary now. Both girls still came to me for treats.
    My survivor obviously has fleas.
    What is the safest treatment ?
    I could put a tiny , tiny dab of advantage (for a dog ? or a cat ? ) on a q-tip and put a bit at her shoulder area.
    I just need to know what is 100% safest to use.
    Thank you in advance for your help

FlyerLuver Guest

I would think it would be the same as with ferrets that you would use anything for cats for fleas on squirrels. My vet that I work for always advises against using anything for dogs on rodents and or mammals.

Michigan Lady Guest

Smile Re: Treatment for Fleas

My daughter's best friend put a drop of advantage on our baby squirrel the day he was discovered because he had several fleas on him.
    I was worried it would kill him, but it didn't... he's been fine ever since, and no more fleas!!

Michelle

Plain Advantage (Not Advantix or Advantage Multi) is safe for squirrels, bunnies, ferrets whatever. Usually one or two drops will do it. The cat and dog formulation of Advantage is the same product (Imadacloprid) and strength just different quantities in the tubes. WE use a small cat Advantage here and place one drop on each squirrel.
    Tori and the zoo!
    Joe: Husband
    Axel: Great Dane
    Nikki: Great Dane
    Ceaser: Labrador Retriever
    Miranda:The Naked Cat!
    Dory: The Naked Rat!
    Chopper: Greenwing Macaw
    Nitrox: Harlequin Macaw
    Clara: Scarlet Macaw
    Mattie & Rocky: Blue and Gold Macaws
    Gabby: Umbrella Cockatoo
    Ducky: Blue Front Amazon
    Captain and Gabrielle: Squirrels
    Sherman, Fatass, Sully, Squirt, Hermie: Tortoises
    Nala, Naughty, Navarre, Nermal, Nova: Leopard Geckos
    Camo: Veiled Chameleon
    Chewy: Domestic Skunk
    Powder, Tiger & Cally: Oscars & Goldfish

What about treating a teen squirrel?

hansie272 Guest

Default HELP : My Squirreal has Fleas....

Hello, I m Hrushikesh from India.I have a domestic male squirrel.I have him for 8 months..He is comfortable with us...
    But I recently noticed that there are fleas on him & growing day by day..Since I am in India..i will not find the Advantage and Other Dish washing soaps here...nor the flea powder...

So far, i am bathing him with warm water mixed with Potassium Pomegranate & Azadirachta indica (Neem Tree commonly found in Sub-Continent,its bark,leaves are effective against skin problem like aches,rashes) which is used natural bacteria killer when applied in any form..but not 100% sure for my Squirrel...Its safe but not that effective..
    But Fleas are not dying neither falling out...n growing which worries me..I pluck the ones which are visible by naked eye...
    Can some one suggest me some home remedies which can cure the problem within few days....because i dont want any chemicals on my squirrel..
    Please help me out on this

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: HELP : My Squirreal has Fleas....

Adult fleas constitute only 10% of a flea infestation.
    There are herbal remedies with things with peppermint oil you can look up on the net.
    Peppermint oil by its self is extremely irritating so beware...

any Pyrethrin & Piprenzine based flea powder would work

I have had success in thoroughly rubbing a cloth soaked in white vinegar on the skin, every day for at least a week...and then a week longer past the day when I dončt see any anymore. By placing the squirrel on a white cloth, you will see them jump off as you do this. The trick is to keep doing it at least a week AFTER you see any sign of adult ones... to make sure you have also killed the eggs.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast