Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment for Fleas

Wink Treatment for Fleas

As babies are coming in I have gotten a few calls about baby squirrels with fleas.
    I recommend Adams Flea Power II for treating fleas. ONLY after the baby has been stablized FIRST.
    WARM THE BABY
    HYDRATE THE BABY
    FEED THE BABY (STIMULATE FOR PROPER WASTE REMOVAL..PEE & POOP)
    ADDRESS INJURIES & LET BABY REST IN A QUIET PLACE
    ADDRESS FLEAS
    I have found it better to treat the baby systematicly upon arrival. Fleas are not a main concern for me. I will quarneteen new arrivals and treat them as listed above, until I feel it's safe to join them as a small group.

When treating fleas I choose to apply the Adams flea powder II to a paper towel, fold the paper towel to make a square packet and place the packet under the thin t-shirt square or thin blanket the babies are laying on. I put the squirrels in a small container like a plastic shoe box with holes in the lid. You can still use a heating source when treating for fleas.
    The fleas will die and fall off the baby in a short period of time.

If any one else wants to add thier tips and techniuques to this thread are welcome .
    FLEA SEASON AND BABY SEASON ARE HERE!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Secret Squirrel from:

frankc (02-11-2020)

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Re: Treatment for Fleas

My vet said that any kitten flea powder is fine to use as Secret Squirrel suggests. And you can also rub a little of it into their fur if they're really infested.

I also agree that the fleas take a back seat to any other treatment needed, however, in certain cases, it may be necessary to treat fleas almost immediately upon warming the squirrel. Those cases would be times when a squirrel (or in my case last fall, squirrels - a group of three siblings) comes in so badly infested with parasites that they will not be able to recover without treating immediately. Skin parasites can kill small animals pretty easily if there are enough of them.

But, for your average flea problem (most I get have some) a little kitten flea powder goes a long way.

Oh, and another thought...My dogs got the fleas when they left the baby squirrels last year. So make sure your pets are treated for fleas as well.

Good thread! I've always had great luck with Zodiac flea spray for cats & kittens, which is usually available in supermarkets as well as pet supply stores. It's a grey & orange bottle....I spray it on a damp cloth and wipe the babies down with it....within 10 minutes everything jumps off the baby and dies, so have a disposable rag or newspaper underneath to catch them.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Critter_Queen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Good thread! I've always had great luck with Zodiac flea spray for cats & kittens, which is usually available in supermarkets as well as pet supply stores. It's a grey & orange bottle....I spray it on a damp cloth and wipe the babies down with it....within 10 minutes everything jumps off the baby and dies, so have a disposable rag or newspaper underneath to catch them.
    Oooooo...a spray would be so much less messy! I've always worried about the babies breathing the powder in... I'm going to see if I can find that, IR, THANKS!

Critter_Queen Guest

PS- What are Flees?

Quote Originally Posted by Critter_Queen
    PS- What are Flees?

It's what happens when you haven't been in school for many, many years ... your spelling ability flees.

Squerrrrrr-leeee, where are you? I think you're the only one who can fix a Forum title.......
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I have used Dawn dish detergent (the blue one) and it works great and is safe. For fleas I have never had to use it more than once. Lice takes a bit more because the eggs stick to the hairs and you have to wait for them to hatch if you are using this method to get rid of them. Otherwise Ivermectin is GREAT!!!!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

KCullen (05-06-2021)

[quote=Critter_Queen]My vet said that any kitten flea powder is fine to use as Secret Squirrel suggests. And you can also rub a little of it into their fur if they're really infested.

I too have rubbed a small amount of Adams powder in my palms and then applied it to the squirrels belly and groin area. The babies did just fine.

Once the squirrels were so cold that the fleas jumped off the squirrels and onto the heat source...all I had to do was throw away the blanket!!!!
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

You know your squirrels are too cold when..............................

Critter_Queen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel

Once the squirrels were so cold that the fleas jumped off the squirrels and onto the heat source...all I had to do was throw away the blanket!!!!
    Awe, poor bitty 'quirrels...so cold even the fleas are leaving! At least they were easy to get rid of! LOL!

Wink Re: Treatment for Fleas

Quote Originally Posted by Critter_Queen
    Awe, poor bitty 'quirrels...so cold even the fleas are leaving! At least they were easy to get rid of! LOL!
    Yeah....poor kids!!! It's one of those deals where the folks just found the squirrel....yada...yada.....and you meet them at the gas station....and the poor baby is in a box with no blanket...just laying in the card board box!! The folks wanta chat and you want dive into action!!!!
    You all know the story!!!!! Too well perhaps!!!!

I run into the convience store and throw a bag LR into the microwave so the babies will have something for the ride home. I keep a kit in my car as I am sure most of you do. blanket, stuffed toy, LR, water bottle, gloves and lots of stuff for emergencies!!!
    By the way the kids did just fine.....
    Rebecca <

Critter_Queen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
    It's one of those deals where the folks just found the squirrel....yada...yada.....and you meet them at the gas station....and the poor baby is in a box with no blanket...just laying in the card board box!! The folks wanta chat and you want dive into action!!!!
    I hear ya! I've been taking the baby(s) into my hand to "inspect" them right away and then just keep them in my hands in those situations. At least that way I know they're being warmed up. Yes, I should be wearing gloves, but the risk is worth it in my opinion. And you might be surprised how many little squirrels can fit in your hand when you're really trying hard! LOL!

Gabe Guest

Good thread

I do pretty much the same as you guys, I use flea spray and spray the bottom of an aquarium, let it dry, cover with newspapers then bedding, then place the babies onto for a few hours, course they have heat also. It's amazing how well these flea (flee) remedies work without ever having to get it on the squirrels.
    A word of warning, I got an infant with fleas from a vet, he had noted on the admission sheet that it was severely dehydrated, emaciated and had fleas. What did he do? Not heat it, not subque it, but treated it with Advantage. It was dead the next morning, it was quite viable, and saveable, but I think the Advantage and lack of all other care killed it.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Good thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    What did he do? Not heat it, not subque it, but treated it with Advantage. It was dead the next morning, it was quite viable, and saveable, but I think the Advantage and lack of all other care killed it.
    Yet another reason to remember that vets often do not know what to do with wildlife.
    I know this is not directly relevant to squirrels, but my cat Sinbad, who in all respects is a rough, tough, survivor alley cat of the sturdiest kind, is deathly allergic to Frontline AND Advantage. He breaks out in sores where the drops are put on him, and then goes into a general decline of hair loss and emaciation! The first time it happened I had him tested for worms and he had none. The second time I realized it was the Frontline. The third time it happened AGAIN because I tried Advantage instead. I'm sorry, but anything that can affect a cat as strong as he is is not going anywhere near my squirrel babies.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

i've gotten fleas in my bed because of squirrels before. it's not pleasant, but luckily they can't survive on us that well.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

VampireFerrets Guest

Grapefruit seed extract is a good flea deterrant and also kills germs. It's all natural, totally safe. We have also had good luck with our own citrus spray, made by grating, then boiling down orange rinds, lemon rinds and grapefruit rinds. Let the mixture sit for a few hours, then strain. Keep the juices in a spray bottle.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Does the flea deterrent work on flys too, VF?

VampireFerrets Guest

Wow, what a thought! We have never tried it on flies, but you betcha we will! I will let you know if it works.

Wink Re: Treatment for Fleas

I use Advantage on every baby who has fleas (flees?) I've never had a problem! A tiny amount does the trick. I wouldn't be without it and I've raised a cast of thousands. I'm a vet tech at an emergency hospital and I am not lying when I say that we very very rarely see a problem with once a month topicals. Wish I could say the same was true for sprays, powders, collars et al especially OTC products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast