Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Treatment for Fleas

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: Treatment for Fleas

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    I have had success in thoroughly rubbing a cloth soaked in white vinegar on the skin, every day for at least a week...and then a week longer past the day when I dončt see any anymore. By placing the squirrel on a white cloth, you will see them jump off as you do this. The trick is to keep doing it at least a week AFTER you see any sign of adult ones... to make sure you have also killed the eggs.
    The life cycle is 3-4 weeks however.~;/

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    The life cycle is 3-4 weeks however.~;/
    Ture true & true I should've stressed AT LEAST a week (personally I always did 2 but had not thought of it as mandatory - so I stand corrected ) PLUS I always did at least a week afterwards... adds up but yes, the span does sound right.

I also used bakers yeast granules FOR MY CAT in the past, and that worked BEAUTIFULLY! I mean sprinkling some on her food - old farmer's remedy, I was told it gives their blood a taste that the fleas find yucky but does no harm the cat. My cat was totally INFESTED with them when we returned from vacation at the Myrtle Beach and within less than a month she was totally free of them. After that, each ttime we went on vacation I did the yeast thing, just as a preventive measure and i t always worked for her.

However, I have no idea if that would be safe, would work, or how we could make it work for squirrels.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    Ture true & true I should've stressed AT LEAST a week (personally I always did 2 but had not thought of it as mandatory - so I stand corrected ) PLUS I always did at least a week afterwards... adds up but yes, the span does sound right.

I also used bakers yeast granules FOR MY CAT in the past, and that worked BEAUTIFULLY! I mean sprinkling some on her food - old farmer's remedy, I was told it gives their blood a taste that the fleas find yucky but does no harm the cat. My cat was totally INFESTED with them when we returned from vacation at the Myrtle Beach and within less than a month she was totally free of them. After that, each ttime we went on vacation I did the yeast thing, just as a preventive measure and i t always worked for her.

However, I have no idea if that would be safe, would work, or how we could make it work for squirrels.
    Yeast is added to animal feed all the time
    as far as the fleas...if the animal was just infested and there are no eggs present then you could get rid of the fleas right away.

hansie272 Guest

Thank You very much Mugzeezma & Scooterzmom : thankyou

I Would Try Scooterzmom's White Vinegar on Him...
    But How long i should rub my squirrel by it...i mean if it cures the flea problem,how long should I continue after the cure...
    Whats the actual procedure because fleas are hard to find when my squirrel is dry!!Whenever I bathe him all his fleas & it's little ones come down on his chest & stomach..that's when i pick them up!!
    Should I apply white vinegar on his wet skin or dry skin...I hope that your home remedy works on my squirrel!!

Thank You very much!!!

moutngrrl Guest

Hi everyone! I saw a lot of replies to the original thread for flea treatment here, so YAY! I stopped in at my local pet shop (not like a PetSmart or something where they don't always know what they're talking about, but a mom-and-pop, operated by the owner), and there is a girl working there who has raised and released quite a few squirrels. She told me she usually uses Natural Chemistry spray for cats and dogs, and when out of it uses the same brand Reptile Spray for mites... I looked at the active ingredients, and they are the same for both, even in quantity. Has anyone else ever tried this spray? I don't want to put something on my Jabba and have him get sick or die. Active ingredients are as follows: dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate: 2.1%, undecylenic acid: 0.5%, and other ingredients: 97.4%. I had originally gone out looking for kitten Advantage, but I didn't want to spend $65 on a box of 6, and they had no flea powder. Any thoughts on the Natural Chemistry spray? Thanks so much!

The problem with chemical treatments for fleas is they cause neurological damage if you use too much and can kill- and the strength you are getting in a cat formula is for a much, much bigger animal, so of course it can poison or brain damage squirrels. It must be diluted by weight and only placed with a dropper between the shoulderblades where they cannot lick as it is poison. For my huge adult boy that is almost 2 pounds I was told to put 0.04mL of Advantage for kittens in 0.96mL water and give only 0.03mL of THAT mix between shoulder blades once every month for three months. When I hear people using a whole undiluted drop of flea meds on a wee baby I wonder about brain damage

Most do understand the dosage for a squirrel is very different then that of a cat/dog, thats just common sense.
    Flea sprays are never recommended for obvious reasons.
    Squirrel fleas are different then that of domestic dog/cat and are eaisily eliminated by a damp cloth bath of unscented
    Dawn dish detergent. Let sit 5-10 and rinse, no chemicals necessary.

Advantage/ Nylar is not a product I would personally use or recommend for use on a squirrel, neither would any veterinarian
    with knowledge of squirrels that I've known or heard of.
    Revolution/ Selamectin has been proven safe for squirrels and is used and recommended by wildlife veterinarians.
    Dosage is
    minuscule, no dilution is necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (10-03-2022), frankc (02-17-2020), Mel1959 (02-11-2020), TubeDriver (02-11-2020)

[FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT
    I have a flying squirrel I saved from being eaten alive by a cat. He only weighs 2.2oz. Can I use a drop of Cheristin for cats on him? I noticed some fleas and I can't give him a bath yet without him biting the piss out of me. I will soon be able to I think as he's getting tamer by the day. But for now I'm trying to find a liquid I can use. Thanks!

What is the strength of the Cheristin?

Quote Originally Posted by Christyc View Post
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT
    I have a flying squirrel I saved from being eaten alive by a cat. He only weighs 2.2oz. Can I use a drop of Cheristin for cats on him? I noticed some fleas and I can't give him a bath yet without him biting the piss out of me. I will soon be able to I think as he's getting tamer by the day. But for now I'm trying to find a liquid I can use. Thanks!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123